Home Sports Talk

New Patriots QB?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

just saw that washington released Dwayne Haskins. BB has rehabilitated a lot of players in the past. could this be the next one?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on what I read of him coming out of college, he needs a really good QB coach and probably help with his throwing. But he threw 50 TDs. Seems like he could be a really good more traditional QB.

Maybe?

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

He needs to get his head straight. Here is what Fox NFL Sunday said about him in this video.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 5:34PM

He is immature. He can't read defenses. He makes poor decisions. These traits can possibly be fixed.

He is not mobile. He has a below average arm. He is a poor leader. These traits can't be learned.

Besides I think it was more TB then BB in in rehabilitating guys on the offensive side of the ball.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

this has JaMarcus Russell written all over it

@galaxy27 said:

Good call. Haskins looks and plays like he just smoked a bowl

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@galaxy27 said:

Good call. Haskins looks and plays like he just smoked a bowl

m

we need more of you around these parts compadre

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dangling Matt Ryan in here, take him off our hands, for reals.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not saying he is going to be a legit starter but I’m also not writing him off either. Rivera benched him after a few games and probably destroyed the kids confidence, he wasn’t playing that bad early on if I remember correctly. Maybe behind the scenes he wasn’t giving it his all ect.. but I wasn’t the only one that thought Rivera was too hard on him early on.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<< Dwayne Haskins signed a 4 year, $14,416,611 contract with the Washington Redskins, including a $8,504,808 signing bonus, $14,416,611 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $3,604,153. >>>

This may explain at least some of it.

Some players can handle the new found wealth, and some just can't.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill will probably trade five years worth of picks for his man crush Jimmy Garoppolo this offseason.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering if Cam Newton and Jimmy Garoppolo are both finished as NFL QB's?
    Cam because of ineptness and Jimmy because he's always injured.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jimmy Garoppolo

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haskins? Garoppolo? Wentz? Who knows?

For sure, this guy is toast. This is what you look like after getting benched. I hope the Jets win!!!

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as I’m concerned and my opinion means nothing Jimmy G has 1 more year in SF. They bring in his replacement next year. Sam Darnold will be a 49er. Jimmy G’s a winner but has missed 23 games in 3 years. The best ability is availability.
    Matt Stafford will be a Patriot next year and the Patriots will draft a game changing TE and pay the money for a game changer on the outside. The opt outs will be back and this lost season will soon be forgotten.
    Bookmark this post. @perkdog Remember where you heard it first.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    As far as I’m concerned and my opinion means nothing Jimmy G has 1 more year in SF. They bring in his replacement next year. Sam Darnold will be a 49er. Jimmy G’s a winner but has missed 23 games in 3 years. The best ability is availability.
    Matt Stafford will be a Patriot next year and the Patriots will draft a game changing TE and pay the money for a game changer on the outside. The opt outs will be back and this lost season will soon be forgotten.

I’d rather you replace Stafford with Matt Ryan. Noted though 👍👍

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patriots cant draft

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

I will take stafford or ryan. either would be about a 400% improvement over the horse crap we have had lining up behind center this year.

Boston would love Stafford. He's tough as nails

m

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 8:35PM

Having watched both Stafford and Ryan for years as my alum/home team(s) QBs, either would be good for the pats for a few years. The Ryan buyout is too big but who knows.

I think Stafford has a bigger hunger for success on a trade/sign up there though...

@Justacommeman said:

m

Still he is always injured. Matt Ryan is pretty much on the field every game

edited December 31, 2020 11:39AM

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Stafford started and finished 134 straight NFL games over 8 plus years until he broke his back half way through last season. He had a iron man streak going. Even with multiple injuries this year he started every game and finished all except last week.

Yes Ryan is very durable as well. He never misses a game

mark

I don’t want Matty ice. I think 28-3 scarred him for life.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Practically anyone would be better than Cam Newton so whoever they get
    for next year will be an improvement.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    Practically anyone would be better than Cam Newton so whoever they get
    for next year will be an improvement.

He is a broken down valise

m

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Stafford started and finished 134 straight NFL games over 8 plus years until he broke his back half way through last season. He had a iron man streak going. Even with multiple injuries this year he started every game and finished all except last week.

Yes Ryan is very durable as well. He never misses a game

mark

True but that back injury I suspect will linger for awhile though

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭

What the Patriots really need right now is a quarterback that can throw 40 touchdowns a year and a couple of sure handed wide receivers that can run and catch the football.

@tommyrusty7 said:
    What the Patriots really need right now is a quarterback that can throw 40 touchdowns a year and a couple of sure handed wide receivers that can run and catch the football.

Something along the lines of what the Bucs put together 🤷‍♂️

Yea, that would do it!
    The Buc's are going to the playoffs so they must have done something right.

What does anyone think of the Patriots taking QB Mac Jones, whether he falls or they trade up?

@thisistheshow said:
    What does anyone think of the Patriots taking QB Mac Jones, whether he falls or they trade up?

If Zach Wilson is available at 14 that's the pick

m

edited January 4, 2021 9:23PM

@Justacommeman said:

@thisistheshow said:

If Zach Wilson is available at 14 that's the pick

m

That'd be great, but I was saying Jones because I thought he might still be on the board past pick ten. I've been thinking Wilson is much higher. Either way, with so many really good QB prospects I'd love to see them get one. But as I've said before, Belichick's end game is the coaching wins record. If he thinks he can get a veteran QB who can possibly give him five good years, I'm sure he would rather do that, trade down, and get an extra pick considering that the Patriots lost their third round over the video thing.

Edit, auto correct.

Bill doesn’t have time to break in a rookie. He’s getting a vet and bombing in the draft.

W.C.Fields

will it matter who is qb if nothing is done to address the WR/TE?

@craig44 said:
    will it matter who is qb if nothing is done to address the WR/TE?

Not a bit. Thats why Brady left.

Well me and two of my buddies put together a list of potential QB’s the winner gets a Dinner paid for by the other two.

I think Andy Dalton should find it’s way on that list.

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:
    I think Andy Dalton should find it’s way on that list.

He's already there. :)

@perkdog said:
    Well me and two of my buddies put together a list of potential QB’s the winner gets a Dinner paid for by the other two.

How was this list put together? Is it who you think, or you put the names in a hat and everyone started picking? Because your list is the good list.

@thisistheshow We did a snake draft. I had first pick then Sully then SJT. We finished once we all picked 5 potential QB’s. @2dueces Im shocked you didn’t know Andy Dalton was the “Red Rifle”!

Ahhh. I just scanned the list looking for Dalton. I’m going into the penalty box for 2 minutes.

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:
    Ahhh. I just scanned the list looking for Dalton. I’m going into the penalty box for 2 minutes.

Ok Joe you served your time. Carry on 👍👍

@perkdog Is this bet based on opening day starter? Because it is possible that two of you end up being right, if they draft a QB to sit and sign a veteran.

@thisistheshow said:
    @perkdog Is this bet based on opening day starter? Because it is possible that two of you end up being right, if they draft a QB to sit and sign a veteran.

Valid point and yes we covered that scenario. Opening day starter or first to see game action. 👍👍

Has anyone heard anything that might tell us the plans ? Who they really like in the draft, or are they going veteran only?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

A rumor here in Minnesota is a three way trade with Cousins going to NE and Watson coming to Minnesota. I didn't hear the speculation on what Houston would get.
    Watson would scare me. What if he suddenly gets upset with managements decisions after a team spends tons of money and/or draft picks or players to get him?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

I would take just about anyone above Cam. He was just so bad.

@craig44 said:
    I would take just about anyone above Cam. He was just so bad.

Maybe this was Belichick's plan all along? Here we are, one year removed from Brady, clamoring for anyone.. 😜🤣🤣

@JoeBanzai said:
    A rumor here in Minnesota is a three way trade with Cousins going to NE and Watson coming to Minnesota. I didn't hear the speculation on what Houston would get.
    Watson would scare me. What if he suddenly gets upset with managements decisions after a team spends tons of money and/or draft picks or players to get him?

Maybe you guys have, but I have not heard anyone online or in sports media say this about Watson....but it seems like something I'd be thinking too. He signed that deal after they traded Hopkins. It's definitely an idea that isn't preposterous when you think of all your team will be giving up most likely.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Maybe you guys have, but I have not heard anyone online or in sports media say this about Watson....but it seems like something I'd be thinking too. He signed that deal after they traded Hopkins. It's definitely an idea that isn't preposterous when you think of all your team will be giving up most likely.

Watch and see what Stephon Diggs does in Buffalo. Looks like he's already causing a rukus. Tremendous talent, but kinda goofy.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set