Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Star Notes from Cash Register

I have been working a cash register lately and always set aside the star notes. Any suggestions on determining value? (I am a card guy) I tried to list as auctions on eBay starting at face value, unfortunately since they made me sign up for their managed payments I am no longer able to list in that category for some reason. Here is what I have found of interest so far:

Thank you,
Trev

eBay - trevordoveyauctions

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most serious modern star note collectors want uncirculated examples, but circulated star notes do sell on eBay. To determine their value, check the SOLD listings on eBay for similar notes in comparative condition. Personally, I have lots of circulated $1 star notes but spend the higher denomination replacement notes.

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2020 7:04AM

@mbwizkid said:
    Most serious modern star note collectors want uncirculated examples, but circulated star notes do sell on eBay. To determine their value, check the SOLD listings on eBay for similar notes in comparative condition. Personally, I have lots of circulated $1 star notes but spend the higher denomination replacement notes.

I agree with "mbwizkid" as his advice on other forums is always solid.

I would find the $20 tough to keep (or sell) except perhaps the the first (PF00006733) which looks fairly crumpled but at least clean (no stains/fewer hard creases) & the 3rd Twenty (PF00115592) which appears less circulated. If the backs have any stain like the one on the bottom border of the 2nd Twenty (MB00151679- below Jefferson) it would be tossed back into circulation quickly.

I have seen folks sell notes like these on ** FB Collector Groups** so you may want to try your luck there. The problem selling such circulated star notes (or anything for that matter) on eBay is that they're not very collectible & you've only got a few "dabblers" who may bid weakly so you're lucky if you break even with the listing fees. At the end of the day, it's not really worth your trouble.

However, the sequential run of $1 from the F series doesn't look too circulated & might get better results on eBay. If it were me, I'd look them up first on https://mycurrencycollection.com/reference/star-notes/lookup to see how common/rare they truly are. Millions of US star notes are printed so it would be good idea to know if they're from a large or shorter run. Thousands of emerging collectors do what you do (find them out of circulation) so that is another good reason they're just not in big demand.

@mbwizkid said:

I agree with "mbwizkid" since most often only dabblers will throw low-ball bids at circulated star notes hoping to pick them up around Face Value. By the time you're finished with the listing fees, it isn't worth your time/money.

You may want to try listing the first Twenty (lower SN) & the third one which seems less circulated. If I found one like the 2nd Twenty, with the stain on the bottom border, it would go back into circulation in a flash. Make sure the backs are clean (no stains, pen marks) & you may want to try your luck on FB Collector Groups. These collector groups seem to attract all sorts of newbie collectors who may put a bit in. Also, your run of consecutive F-series $1 seem in pretty decent condition so they might sell. I would first check their numbers out on https://mycurrencycollection.com/reference/star-notes/lookup. - to see if they're from large or smaller runs.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spending money - not worth the time, effort and fees/charges associated with trying to get more than face value for them.

All glory is fleeting.
  • TrevTrev Posts: 333 ✭✭✭

Thank you ya'll. The info is very much appreciated.

Trev

I would keep the F-Series $1.00 (X5 -it's only $5) & you could join a site like Numista https://en.numista.com/ & swap for coins or a world banknote you might like. Just another option.

• TrevTrev Posts: 333 ✭✭✭

@Serial_no_8 said:
    I would keep the F-Series $1.00 (X5 -it's only $5) & you could join a site like Numista https://en.numista.com/ & swap for coins or a world banknote you might like. Just another option.

Awesome! Thank you, I will check out that site.

Trev

• It's Christmas time and be sure to keep your eyes peeled. I worked in a grocery store all throughout college and Christmas meant that stars would come out of the woodwork along with FRNs from the 1950 A-B series. Happy hunting!

If common sense is so common, why is it so uncommon?

You state-side folks are so lucky to have your start $1 notes, $2's & so much cold hard cash floating around. Makes for fun finds!

• luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

The $20 JK star is rare.

Hopefully you didn't spen that but I am late to the party.