Home Precious Metals

Why are pandas going for such a high premium?

browsing for some silver for the stack noticed that pandas are selling for triple digits now? How does that make sense its bullion after all can someone explain the madness?
This is what makes my head spin! 120 for an ounce of silver

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-China-1-oz-Silver-Panda-10-Yuan-Small-Date/133533646796?hash=item1f1739bfcc:g:ApsAAOSwvA9fdL-m

Comments

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one you showed is an older one that commands a premium.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

small date variety. Not all silver coins are simply just silver.

$16K one ounce silver

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Panda's have a significant collector base, so I can see someone paying a premium for a missing date. Cheers, RickO

• Panda designs change every year which gives them more interest to a collector then strictly repeditive bullion or rounds do. That's why they, and Kooks and Koala's, which also change, are treated similarly.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one who doesn’t buy pandas ? I just can’t seem to like them.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

No. I don't like them either and when they dropped the weight from 1 troy ounce to 30 grams, I liked them even less. It's just very over priced modern gold.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

@Goldenage said:

Nope. I did have a couple but sold them off.

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had some graded 70's but quickly turned sour on them in 2015 when as PerryHall mentioned, the weight from 1 troy ounce to 30 grams and they didn't even indicate the weight or purity on the 2015 coin. I never bought another and gave the ones I had to one of my daughters

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

you guys are weird its one gram :D .

• @JohnnyCache said:
    I had some graded 70's but quickly turned sour on them in 2015 when as PerryHall mentioned, the weight from 1 troy ounce to 30 grams and they didn't even indicate the weight or purity on the 2015 coin. I never bought another and gave the ones I had to one of my daughters

@JohnnyCache
    Thats good to know. makes sense as to why the premium drops significantly after 2014

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all supply and demand.
    If there's a popular design, they'll just make more and more of them for collectors to buy and put away in their lock box.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 7:58AM

nope, mintage is not to demand.

Here is why!
    -Silver 1 Oz mintage is capped at 10 Million
    -one of the better looking Gov minted bullion coins -multiple fields/tones
    -Change..Panda pose can drive desirability (esp w/ baby Panda) see 2021
    -Got Milk? very little milk spotting on any of the issues past or present: Maple , Phil disasters, SAE, Britannia 1/2 disaster
    -China, new future world boss, everybody wants "yuan"
    -30 Gram - metric system - very few really care its not old 1 OZ weight, more converts each year
    -Past limited mintage (10,000) and limited past availability generate a consistent "collectable" vibe regardless of current mintage.

Loves me some shiny!

@carew4me said:
    nope, mintage is not to demand.

Here is why!
    -Silver 1 Oz mintage is capped at 10 Million
    -one of the better looking Gov minted bullion coins -multiple fields/tones
    -Change..Panda pose can drive desirability (esp w/ baby Panda) see 2021
    -Got Milk? very little milk spotting on any of the issues past or present: Maple , Phil disasters, SAE, Britannia 1/2 disaster
    -China, new future world boss, everybody wants "yuan"
    -30 Gram - metric system - very few really care its not old 1 OZ weight, more converts each year
    -Past limited mintage (10,000) and limited past availability generate a consistent "collectable" vibe regardless of current mintage.

I like the changing designs I used to buy 5 every year just like I bought 5 kooks and 5 koalas every year. Now some of those early years are selling for decent premiums , I have no objection to selling into a good premium.

I'm not going back and buying a 1997 for $100 , I want to sell my five 1997 's to the guy that does that.

Is this just jealousy from the Ase SHEEPLE? :D

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a batch of pandas from the $49/oz run up. Will never get that money back.

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭

You are way ahead already! :p

Loves me some shiny!
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, I haven't even looked. I bet they don't sell though, ha!

• RarityRarity Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭

I accidentally stumbled on a Panda in APMEX a few days ago and I have to admit that Panda is quite a coin with interesting holder. But I agree that the price is high for an ounce of silver.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 9:00AM

@Rarity said:
    I accidentally stumbled on a Panda in APMEX a few days ago and I have to admit that Panda is quite a coin with interesting holder. But I agree that the price is high for an ounce of silver.

Not even an ounce. :(

As other posters have stated, China started to issue 30g silver pandas in 2016.
    Link: https://www.apmex.com/product/92384/2016-china-30-gram-silver-panda-bu-in-capsule

oh no the metric system :D

ya lets pay an extra 50 for a mass produced item in a worthless first strike slab ................. but only if it weighs 31 grams , we must have standards

• RarityRarity Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks MetroD for your correction.
    I used to pay $7-9 over spot for pristine uncirculated Panda in sealed plastic but not anymore.

@Rarity said:
    Thanks MetroD for your correction.
    I used to pay $7-9 over spot for pristine uncirculated Panda in sealed plastic but not anymore.

:)

FWIW, I like the (changing) design of the coin as well.

Despite the premium, I have purchased a few over the years. It is a guilty pleasure.

• If I valued the fact that the bullion design changes yearly, and I do, I'd much prefer supporting the Govt. of Australia than the CCP of China. Buy Kooks and Koalas.

I prefer kooks and koalas over pandas any day.

@Kliao said:
    I prefer kooks and koalas over pandas any day.

Diversity is one of the great aspects of numismatics.

Our 'tastes/preferences' may differ, but we both can find options that appeal to us. :)

• @bronco2078 that's an interesting perspective about the constantly changing designs and premiums. Ill pick up a few new ones to catch this premium over the upcoming years.
    @Kliao @BSquared dont get me started about the kooks and koalas haha

@MetroD what a bummer, not even a full ounce anymore

• alexercaalexerca Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

Talking about Pandas! Anyone interested in this? I am told it is the key date! A friend of mine wants to sell it!

• sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

PM sent

Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • @alexerca
    I think you would have to list or offer it in the buy sell trade part of the forum. lots of reputable members who do business there
    It does appear to be a better date fyi.