Home Metal Detecting

Harness question

I’ve found several of these over the years. Are they part of a harness? Are they brass or copper?

Comments

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could very well be
    Growing up on a dairy farm, I missed the 'working horse' era by a generation but we had a couple hundred years worth of horse equipment in the old barns and stable.
    Seems like 'rings' were used on everything :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of those on my bench waiting to be cleaned right now from recent finds. Thanks for asking.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those rings were in common use on horse rigs of many types... often they were retained in leather - which, eventually wore out due to stresses... and rings were lost. Though I cannot tell from your pictures, likely they were brass. Cheers, RickO

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrought iron and brass rings are common field finds in my neck of the woods. I save them, clean them up and use them on occasion. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52