Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Do registry set builders look to eBay or auction houses to upgrade?

Just curious.
A 1970-D PCGS MS67 Kennedy sold last month in an HA.com auction for $6300. I assume this coin will go into a registry set.
Yet, I see that a 70-D P67 Kennedy is listed as a BIN on eBay for $5000., definitely less of an outlay of funds to acquire this low pop key coin of the JFK 50C series. (And, no, I do not own the coin.)

Comments

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2020 3:38PM

PCGS currently lists the 70 d in ms67 at $5,000 so with buyers fees at Ha.com of 19.5 % then adding shipping and handling costs, the $6,300 is a fair price.
    What I find confusing is the listing of the 70-D P67 coin.
    It appears to me without actual seeing the picture of the actual coin or certification number that you might be looking at a mistyped description which may actually be a "1970 DCAM PR67 Kennedy" which is a proof coin and not the MS coin. Can you provide a link to the Ebay $5,000 coin? I have tried but cannot find this coin on Ebay.
    Welcome aboard the forum by the way

Kennedys are my quest...

@winesteven said:

I agree with all that you have said as I too do the same for upgraded coins for my sets
    As a Kennedy registries owner, I failed to answer the op question but focused on the coin disparity
    We will have to wait for @Cuprinkor reply
    I never plan to pay a full PCGS price but will remain in the shadows for a coin I want to pounce on
    Nuclear biding can be dangerous. lol
    Love my Kennedy's

Kennedys are my quest...

• CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

Wayne, I'm a dinosaur when it comes to providing a link but I simply typed "1970-D PCGS MS67 Kennedy" in the eBay's search and it came up.
    The PCGS cert # 39148733 verifies the legitimacy of this coin.

edited November 10, 2020 7:47AM

@Cuprinkor said:
    Wayne, I'm a dinosaur when it comes to providing a link but I simply typed "1970-D PCGS MS67 Kennedy" in the eBay's search and it came up.
    The PCGS cert # 39148733 verifies the legitimacy of this coin.

I agree with the 1970 d coin at HA.com listing At $6,300
    please help another dinosaur and provide the link that shows the Ebay coin at $5k
    None show the coin at 5K so go to the listing and copy the www. listing, hit control c and then control v to paste it to this site

Kennedys are my quest...

name who is listing this coin as I can track their listings and find it that way

Kennedys are my quest...

edited November 9, 2020 6:53PM

I finally found the coin on Ebay by modifying my searches
    I am currently bidding on 2 different coins that match this description
    will let you know if I win one
    again thanks for the heads up
    did you notice that the seller will ship with standard shipping of 4.95 on a 5k coin?

Kennedys are my quest...

I didn't notice but it is a BIN and not an auction.

edited November 10, 2020 7:48AM

@Cuprinkor said:
    I didn't notice but it is a BIN and not an auction.

an auction or buy it now item doesn't matter
    a $4.95 shipping cost does not assure that the buyer will get the coin
    I would expect at least an insured shipment requiring a signature
    that can be contested if the coin does not show up or is delivered to the wrong address
    I hope that you are learning that no matter the "feedback of a seller" things can and do go wrong
    both parties must protect themselves
    you must research each item and seller
    for some a $100.00 loss is not much but for others it is a catastrophe
    imagine how that feels for a 5k purchase
    if it is not your coin, don't worry about it
    see the end of the listing if it sells or is relisted
    seller should list the coin as a bid item and start the bidding at $500.00 with a reserve price to cover his purchase price
    again ,I hope you have success in your coin hunts

Kennedys are my quest...

Thanks for the well wishes.
    I'm not in the registry set pursuit at this time.
    But the hunt for coins that interest me goes on.

Good luck to you as well, Wayne.

It will be interesting to see if some of the big dollar Morgans from the
    recent StacksBowers auction of the Larry H. Miller collection will show up in PCGS registry sets.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cuprinkor said:
    It will be interesting to see if some of the big dollar Morgans from the
    recent StacksBowers auction of the Larry H. Miller collection will show up in PCGS registry sets.

Absolutely no doubt! Guaranteed!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    PCGS currently lists the 70 d in ms67 at $5,000 so with buyers fees at Ha.com of 19.5 % then adding shipping and handling costs, the $6,300 is a fair price.

I think $4,150 is a more fair bid, and with juice and shipping come in at $5k. I always include the buyer fee in my fair value estimate.

• I have been buying and selling coins on eBay for more than two decades, really, check my feedback (Coin-Jock). Initially, offerings on eBay ran the gamut of prices from exceedingly excessive to stunningly cheap...over the past 15 years, the prices have leveled out and are favorably comparable with offerings elsewhere. But there are no "up" fees or buyer's premiums on eBay, so buyers usually get a little better deal. But I caution that you should be careful about buying a coin, currency or, for that matter, anything on eBay from a seller with little or no feedback or selling history.

FWIW, this particular seller of the 70-D PCGS MS67 Kennedy has a feedback of 138,514 and a 100% positive feedback rating.

True, one should be cautious of a seller (with a very low number of feedbacks) offering something cheaply. Not always, but do note certain stats.
    It seems that a number of lookers are "fence sitters" and not serious coin collectors.

• JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Unless My memory has failed dramatically...each and every coin I own was purchased on eBay (nearing 1200 coins)

I have been buying/selling for over 10 years without every having an issue

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

@Cuprinkor said:
    Just curious.
    A 1970-D PCGS MS67 Kennedy sold last month in an HA.com auction for $6300. I assume this coin will go into a registry set.
    Yet, I see that a 70-D P67 Kennedy is listed as a BIN on eBay for $5000., definitely less of an outlay of funds to acquire this low pop key coin of the JFK 50C series. (And, no, I do not own the coin.)

An update: a 1970 D Kennedy graded by PCGS in MS67 was just sold on GC for a $5,250.00 bid
    with the "buyers fee" it cost the bidder $5,906.25 so with all else being even, the eBay coin would have been a better purchase
    Thought you would like to know -Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Yes. I'm aware.
    There are certain coins I keep tabs on when they show up in any auction.
    eBay is not the best place to realize top price for top pop coins today like it was prior to 2006.

PCGS MS66 CN Ike Dollars use to routinely bring $300/+ for any date, including 76P & 76-D T2 back then. Even dates such as 71-P & 72-P brought $300 in PCGS MS65.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

You look everywhere to find your coins. Some people hate ebay but are you going to pass on it if it’s offered there

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

I search (1) inventory of a well known rare gold dealer, (2) auctions and (3) ebay.... in that order. NEWPs are uncommon but steady, in part because I add only CAC approved coins.

• kruegerkrueger Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

The world is round and coins exist every where every country
    I buy from anywhere. Though returning a coin to some countries can be a loss to you.
    Central Europe is the worsed for me.
    No problem from Asia just long delays.