Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

is this a junker?

Am I sanford and son for having this?

Where is Grady?

This is the big one Elizabeth, I'm comin to see you.

It is a junker isn't it ( sry I'm new, i really do not know if this is a good coin ).

Thankyou!

Comments

• Options
    Yes...send it to me!image
  • Options
    Seriously, it's nothing, correct?

srry if dumb question. I'm new.

thankyou
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why that's none other than a 1923 Monroe commemorative! And in very bad shape I might add. Value in this condition (considering the rim ding) around five bucks. Want to sell it?image

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    yes I do. Well, I guess depends on what it's worth. I do know there were only 274,xxx or so made. So not around every corner. This ones got a very kewl toning on the reverse.
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    It's not worth much, but that doesn't mean it isn't a nice coin. I like the original toning; the even, yet not eye-distracting wear; the fact that it was circulated for a while which is not as common as you would think for an early commem, especially a monroe. No it isn't an investment coin (if there is such a thing), but it doesn't have to be. It has excellent eye appeal for what it is. I like it!! image
  • Options
    There were 274,077 minted.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Thank you!

Should I sell it for 5 bux? or keep it?

Will it ever be worth more than 5 bux?

thankyou
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many commemorative coins of and before the depression era saw circulation out of the desperation of the times. Sad, but true. If I were you, I'd keep it as a conversation piece.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you!

Should I sell it for 5 bux? or keep it?

Will it ever be worth more than 5 bux?

thankyou >>

Would you rather have this coin or a Big Mac, fries, and a coke? Personnally, I would keep the coin instead of letting it go for 5 bucks. I don't like Big Macs. image
  • Options
    me 2. I'm one of only 274,077 pplz with this thing. And I got a killer strike on this one, and nice toning on the reverse! your right. Mc'y D's sux comparitively.

Conversation Piece for sale! 1 grand! lol. ( it looks nicer than the ones that sell for more man). lol truely it does.

TY
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Hi Carl, a nice coin but not worth alot of money. I would keep it because it is neat to have a piece of history. mike image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These early circulated Commemoratives have a story to tell. Imagine the FIRST person to need to spend it? What was going through their mind? What was it spent on?
    And the next person in line- why didn't he or she pluck this one out of circulation and keep it, or I suppose, maybe they did? Then, later- they also found the need of spending greater than the want of saving.
    Each one with multiple stories to tell.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>me 2. I'm one of only 274,077 pplz with this thing. And I got a killer strike on this one, and nice toning on the reverse! your right. Mc'y D's sux comparitively. Conversation Piece for sale! 1 grand! lol. ( it looks nicer than the ones that sell for more man). lol truely it does. TY >>

Good choice! and there are probably less than that number surviving so it is even 'rarer'. :-)
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    Keep it for the Halibut, There aint enough value in it to buy your new Corvette, and if you want another, it will cost ya big. So a Smart man would air tite it, or 2x2 it and park it in your album of coins that you are going to organize someday!

Bulldog
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search
  • Options

<< <i>So a Smart man would air tite it, or 2x2 it and park it in your album of coins that you are going to organize someday! >>

Naa, leave it free! It's had a good life being free, so why imprison it in plastic now? Let the kids play with it or pass it around in the classroom during a show 'n tell. It's the perfect "touch me" coin. image
  • Options
    I agree with Loki. Coins like this are great conversation pieces. Pass it around, get some discussion going and don't be afraid of someone fingering it up.
    "Don't talk like an ignarosis."

I specialize in Wisconsin currency! Looking for information on WI national banknotes. Census stands at 12,318 notes.

**"Wisconsin National Bank Notes - 2nd Edition" is out!!!" Only $20PPd!!!
  • Options
    It is a keeper, but I like commemoratives, especially old ones!
    Joe
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    I'd keep it. Especially if you sold it to me for $5

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file