Home Q & A Forum

1897 S Barber Quarter - Your Opinions and Thoughts Please

Hello everyone.

I came across this 1897 S Barber Quarter not too long ago. I decided to look further into possibly picking it up since it has the 'center' mint-mark for the 'S.' Apparently about 1/15 1897 S Barber Quarters will have the mint-mark designated in the center between the 'R' and the 'D' in 'QUARTER DOLLAR.' Anyways, I would really appreciate other members input on the coin, I have posted two pictures of it below. There appears to be some rim damage below in the photo of the Obverse. Also, is it just me or does anyone else get the impression that this coin might be a counterfeit? I grade it has an nice XF-45.

As always, I really value your thoughts and opinions when I ask a question about coins on this site, so thank you very much.

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

The date looks a little funny. I would pass on it. ;)

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a scarce centered mint Mark. Perhaps post on the US coin forum with folks like @TomB who has written quite a bit in this variety.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry I missed this post.

Could you get a closer obv picture?

What is that on the obv edge from 6 o'clock to about 9 o'clock?

Frank

BHNC #203

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2020 5:47PM

It's a fake. Charcoal look, Date and Mintmark are wrong shape/style.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Thanks to everyone who has commented.

@Treashunt said:

Unfortunately I do not have a closer picture of the obverse. This coin was actually up for auction online when I originally created this discussion and I was so excited at first because of the condition/center mint-mark. Something felt amiss with the coin though which is what lead me to the forums here at PCGS.com to see what other members might think of the coin. It's too bad because a center-mint marked 1897-S Barber Quarter in an XF-40-45 condition are very difficult to come by.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

you would have many replies posting this in the us coin forum
    https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lancer_343 said:
    Thanks to everyone who has commented.

@Treashunt said:

Unfortunately I do not have a closer picture of the obverse. This coin was actually up for auction online when I originally created this discussion and I was so excited at first because of the condition/center mint-mark. Something felt amiss with the coin though which is what lead me to the forums here at PCGS.com to see what other members might think of the coin. It's too bad because a center-mint marked 1897-S Barber Quarter in an XF-40-45 condition are very difficult to come by.

Thanks for the reply

Frank

BHNC #203