Options

Invalid NFC detected? New PCGS NFC holder issue

2»

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2020 3:36PM

@PCGSDev said:
    Hi, thank you all for reporting this. We are currently looking into possible causes for this. We could use some additional information from you all to help track down what the cause might be and when it might have started:

1) What day did you first notice this occurring? (If you can recall)
    2) What device make/model are you using? (Android or iOS and device model)
    3) Are you always seeing the same behavior on the website as the app? i.e. if you scan with the app it says invalid, if you scan without the app it says invalid on the website (I have seen screenshots from both in this thread)
    4) Do coins/banknotes that are returning invalid errors ALWAYS return that or do they sometimes return valid?
    5) Are all the coins from an entire order having this issue or is random?

I may follow up with more questions as they arise.

This week, after seeing this thread I decided to check my recent order.

SGS9, Android 10

3) Are you always seeing the same behavior on the website as the app? i.e. if you scan with the app it says invalid, if you scan without the app it says invalid on the website (I have seen screenshots from both in this thread)
    I can scan the barcode and it pulls up the cert page. At the top is says "This coin features NFC..." in a blue box. If I scan the NFC chip the same cert page pulls up but with a red box at the top saying "Notice: Invalid NFC technology detected."

4) Do coins/banknotes that are returning invalid errors ALWAYS return that or do they sometimes return valid?
    So far they are consistent.
    One order was all invalid(6 coins), another order was 6 invalid/3 valid, not sequential.
    Orders 214522 and 213488

NFC tools data for above cert:

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

@PCGSDev said:
    Hi, thank you all for reporting this. We are currently looking into possible causes for this. We could use some additional information from you all to help track down what the cause might be and when it might have started:

Day I got my first order back (only coin with nfc I own) 12/15/2020

iPhone 11 Pro Max iOS 14.3

I’m seeing the same message for the coins that don’t work on both app and website.

Always invalid

On one order 1 out of 2 coins have the issue. Other order 1 of 1 coins has the issue.

If you need anymore details let me know.
    Thanks.

I may follow up with more questions as they arise.

• Options
    edited December 23, 2020 12:34AM

@PCGSDev heres a link the one that doesn’t work generated.

• Options

@ChrisH821 @Dollar2007

Can you both try to scan your holders that had the issue again? We reached out to HID and they found an issue on their end that should be resolved so these scans should now work. Please let me know if that is the case or if you still are experiencing issues.

Josh Logier

Software Engineer, PCGS
    app@pcgs.com
  • Options

@PCGSDev said:
    @ChrisH821 @Dollar2007

Can you both try to scan your holders that had the issue again? We reached out to HID and they found an issue on their end that should be resolved so these scans should now work. Please let me know if that is the case or if you still are experiencing issues.

It works now! Thanks.

• Options
    MetalMetal Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

Mine now works also. Thanks!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whew! I thought this was going to be a SNAFU. Gotta love software glitches (sarcasm).

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSDev said:
    @ChrisH821 @Dollar2007

All good now! Great work, thanks!!

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file