Home Sports Talk

College football playoff

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few good teams will miss out. #1 and #2 are easy picks. 3 and 4 not so much.

1- Bama
2- Clemson
3- aTm
4- Notre Dame / Ohio State.

What’s your final four look like ?

Comments

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alabama, Clemson...and no one else matters imho!

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not what I think but what I think the playoff committee will choose.

1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. OSU
    4. A&M
  • GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Not what I think but what I think the playoff committee will choose.

1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. OSU
    4. A&M

I hope the committee takes into consideration that Ohio States qb threw 2 and 3 interceptions in weak wins against Indiana and Northwestern.

I know the committee doesn’t take this into consideration, but I’d rather have the two SEC teams not play each other. If aTm makes it at 4.

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I think the committee will go with the following (not my choices):
    1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. Ohio St.
    4. Notre Dame

edited December 20, 2020 8:49AM

@bobbybakeriv said:
    1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. Ohio St.
    4. Notre Dame

Notre Dame has a great strength of schedule because they played Clemson twice.

aTm has a great strength of schedule, and beat Florida who just played Bama tough. Aggies only loss to Bama 52-24.

tOSU has looked weak against “sturdy” competition.

aTm looked better against Bama then ND did against a TL led Clemson.

Not going to be easy to get 3/4.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2020 9:55AM

It will be

1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. OSU
    4. Texas A&M / Notre Dame

I'm not sure who they'll choose for the fourth spot. That shellacking that Clemson put on Notre Dame yesterday might just keep Notre Dame out. Or it might not. But it just might!

edited December 20, 2020 10:29AM

@Goldenage said:

@bobbybakeriv said:
    1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. Ohio St.
    4. Notre Dame

Notre Dame has a great strength of schedule because they played Clemson twice.

aTm has a great strength of schedule, and beat Florida who just played Bama tough. Aggies only loss to Bama 52-24.

tOSU has looked weak against “sturdy” competition.

aTm looked better against Bama then ND did against a TL led Clemson.

Not going to be easy to get 3/4.

I would personally put A&M in at 4 but I think the CFP Committee will cave to the politics and TV money of an Alabama/Notre Dame matchup too much to pass on. I actually don't really even think OSU deserves to be in given their short schedule but they have a lot of clout and will get in.

edited to add: When I say "politics" I am thinking about how many in the college football world think the SEC always gets two teams, etc. This year is the perfect setup for the committee to say "see, we are not favoring one conference over any other." Just my opinion. We shall see.

edited December 20, 2020 10:57AM

The playoff is set, they chose Notre Dame.

1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. OSU
    4. Notre Dame

Jimbo is going to be pissed. I am a big OU fan so that means he'll likely be taking out his anger on the Sooners in the Cotton Bowl. OU can play with A&M. I'd rather play them than Florida at this point.

Skip Bayless just said that he believes the reason Notre Dame got the fouth and final spot in the playoff, is because college football is a big business and Notre Dame will bring in a larger national audience.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears to be another Alabama - Clemson Final. Notre Dame and OSU will only be tune-up games for them.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

It really doesn’t matter who got 3/4. We all know it’s another SEC-Clemson final.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buckeyes got some unfinished business to take care of, since they got screwed by the sec refs last year. Notre Dame didnt deserve to get in after getting blown out. Should've been Cincinnati. Even A@M should've gotten in before Notre Dame.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

not defending Ohio State because they really haven't looked sharp these last two games --- but --- in both games they were playing with 20-25 players out due to COVID-19 restrictions. included in that number were some key starters, necessary back-ups and once, the Head Coach. as evidenced by the close first game between Clemson and Notre Dame, certain players being absent can make a big difference.

it's also worth mentioning that the Buckeyes had three games cancelled due to COVID-19. it has been tough sledding for them, an out of their control situation.

another thing of note is that Justin Fields played injured in the Big 10 Playoff, he was wearing a hand/wrist brace for the game on his throwing hand and it clearing affected his accuracy.

I agree with you. It’s not popular to defend tOSU because all teams had to deal with Covid this year, and it was their job to deal with it as best they can. I can certainly sympathize with tOSU, but we could also say that the committees job is to look at on field performance, and nothing else.

Dabo's ballot, hot off the press!

There ya go, OSU is going to be mad as heck at Dabo.

I also saw a video of Coach Day dancing, saying they were going to beat the crap out of Clemson.

Saban talks about how good Notre Dame is.....

edited December 21, 2020 4:18PM

It’s not popular to defend tOSU because all teams had to deal with Covid this year.

just for clarity, none of their games were cancelled at their request, they played through everything short-handed when necessary.

--- Clemson is riding high and Swinney's feeling his oats, that 's most of what that article is about. a lot can happen before that game's played so he should hope his Team stays COVID-19 free. sadly, due to the NCAA quarantine restrictions it's clear that some of the Buckeyes will still not be able to play. it's been a tough year and it seems a little low-class to be talking smack because some Teams have been hit hard and others haven't.

it all just highlights the never-ending need to have an expanded playoff, one that makes sense.

edited December 21, 2020 4:54PM

@Bullsitter said:

I also saw a video of Coach Day dancing, saying they were going to beat the crap out of Clemson.

Coach day never mentioned Clemson.

And no surprise Dabo has the big ten teams so low. He also has four sec teams in the top 6 LOL

Ignore list -Basebal21

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

And no surprise Dabo has the big ten teams so low. He also has four sec teams in the top 6 LOL

He's got a 3-loss team at #5. Hard to take his ballot seriously.

edited December 22, 2020 11:22AM

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

Coach day never mentioned Clemson.

>

Locker room speeches are supposed to stay in the locker room. Unfortunately, that doesn’t always happen. Someone in the locker room posted the video of Day’s speech on social media, and let’s just say it was … interesting.

“I’m just telling you right now,” Day told his guys. “You give us one game against Clemson, against Bama or against Notre Dame, we’re gonna [expletive] beat their ass … I promise you.”

That's what was said, you do see Clemson mentioned, right?

fwiw....I hope OSU wins, I'm pulling for y'all.... :)

Alabama. -19.5. Notre Dame

Lol

12 hours of football today.... :) ...with a few fights thrown in.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go Dawgs!!!

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

OSU shouldn't be in the top 10. They only played 6 games!! Who's to say they wouldn't have won/lost any or all of those?
    It was grossly unfair to other teams, who played 11 games and were ignored for top seeded positions.

Let the college football fun begin. Right now I'm watching the Peach Bowl on a stream, and I'm watching the Citrus Bowl on TV. I'm surrounded by college football. A day's pay on the wild side!

edited January 1, 2021 8:00PM

just for the sake of saying it, I don't expect Ohio State to prevail against Clemson but wouldn't be surprised to see them win. while every Team has had to deal with COVID-19 it hasn't affected Teams equally, a sad reality for us Ohio State Buckeye fans. today's game should hopefully show the Team at full strength, but that is doubtful. living in NEOhio, I can tell you that the outbreak here is fierce. not making excuses, just being real about it.

Here’s a list of players questionable for undisclosed ailments:
    Linebackers Baron Browning, Tommy Eichenberg and Ben Schmiesing, running back Steele Chambers, punter Drue Chrisman, wide receivers Chris Olave, Gee Scott Jr., Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Mookie Cooper, defensive linemen Aaron Cox, Tyler Friday and Javontae Jean-Baptiste, safeties Marcus Hooker and Bryson Shaw, offensive linemen Paris Johnson Jr. and Ryan Smith, quarterback Jagger LaRoe, cornerback Lloyd McFarquhar, and tight ends Corey Rau and Joe Royer.
    Quarterback Justin Fields is listed as probable as he is battling through a sprained thumb injury

to my thinking, Clemson is the better Team but absent mis-communication between Fields/Olave last year and the Buckeyes would have beaten Clemson. also, the last time OSU won the National Title, I think it was 2014, the consensus opinion was that they didn't belong in the Playoff.

food for thought.

Northwestern destroys Auburn

Ignore list -Basebal21

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

first down of college ball I've watched all year. didn't Clemson wipe the floor with ND? and now Bama looks like they could hang 70 on them if they wanted to

gotta be a money grab sticking them in there, otherwise they have no business

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    first down of college ball I've watched all year. didn't Clemson wipe the floor with ND? and now Bama looks like they could hang 70 on them if they wanted to

gotta be a money grab sticking them in there, otherwise they have no business

I've watched less then a hours worth all year but I'm enjoying today

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

the game has been entertaining thus far. the main advantage for Alabama is their speed, ND just cannot match it on Offense or Defense.

there's a lot of Football left, but "WOW" at the half!! B)

well, there's no Football left in that game and I still say "WOW" about the whole thing. it must suck to be the presumed Number One NFL Draft Pick and get shown up in a showcase game like this. it must suck to be Dabo Swinney and see your Team get its ass kicked by the Number Eleven Team.

I wonder if the fine folks for the Jacksonville Jaguars were watching this game and what they think right now?? it's a peculiar thing the way a Team and an individual(s) plays when you aren't in the comfortable position of being ahead, Clemson didn't respond very well to that test today.

I like Dabo in general, but sometimes he can be an idiot. Ranking OSU 11 was a slap in their face...then he doubled down on it. :o

Alabama -7.5

Who do you like ?

@Goldenage said:
    Alabama -7.5

Who do you like ?

Buckeyes always play great when they are underdogs.

Ignore list -Basebal21

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

@Goldenage said:
    Alabama -7.5

Who do you like ?

Buckeyes always play great when they are underdogs.

The early money last year went on LSU. Then a lot of Clemson action was seen as the game drew near. People thought a safer bet was to take the points because they thought Clemson could win outright. This years Alabama’s offense is statistically equal to last years LSU. I expect many people to bet tOSU thinking it’s the safer play.

Bama. 38
    tOSU. 28

OSU was determined last night. They didn't waste any time getting to work on Clemson.

edited January 2, 2021 7:47AM

it isn't often that Teams like Ohio State, Clemson and Alabama have the word "Upset" used to describe their victories, usually only when they are beaten. last night was an Ohio State upset to be sure. I think Clemson was surprised by the power of Trey Sermon, the speed of Chris Olave, the accuracy and strength of Justin Fields' throwing, the ability of the OSU TE's to get open and the overall line play by OSU on both sides of the ball. the Buckeyes presented some speed that beat the Tigers to the point of attack in every phase of the game.

watching Alabama vs. Notre Dame showed a clear contrast of style: the Tide was quick and the Irish were slow and plodding, sort of like the old "three yards and a cloud of dust" type of College ball. that seems to be the advantage of the SEC Teams that many around the Nation can't understand --- speed will dominate. Alabama scored in an instant, Notre Dame was methodical but needed 6-7 minutes to get to the red zone.

that should present us with a unique Championship game since both Teams, especially on Offense, are fast. we all know about Alabama because the Media, especially ESPN, are head over heels in love with them. last night no doubt caused some to sit up with eyes wide open and say "Huh" as they watched. I believe that Ohio State can provide a challenge for Alabama that they haven't seen this year: a power running game, adept short passing and speed on the outside from the Offense, a Defensive front that can plug things up and pressure the QB, DB's who can run the field with LB's to prop up in the middle.

one thing that struck me about the lead-up to yesterday was the story-line that "Justin Fields is really good in a clean pocket but falters when he has to move" which didn't show itself last night. he moved when pressured, made accurate reads and throws. he only faltered trying to protect his ribs after a "cheap shot" that might have knocked others out of the game.
    conversely, Trevor Lawrence was the one who faltered under pressure. the OSU rush made him move and shut down his escape routes. when that was lost he really looked bad and had trouble holding onto the ball. to my eyes his Draft stock suffered because he showed vulnerability.

who knows what will happen with Ohio State vs. Alabama?? either of the Teams could dominate the other, we could have a defensive close game or there could be a high scoring shoot-out. there's one thing I'm anxious to see -- Saban on the sideline with his head down in a bad mood because things aren't going as planned. he doesn't have a good Poker Face!! B)

I don't know, Bama looked tired in the second half and OSU seemed to be in midseason shape.

OSU 45
    Bama 34

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I did not expect that. I felt the semi- finals would just be a warm up scrimmage for Alabama and Clemson. I have no idea how the Buckeyes will play in the Championship. They may have spent all they have against Clemson.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've said it since I saw him play at UGA, Fields is one to be reckoned with. I wish we could have kept him, dude is a stud. I think it's a close game but my SEC hatred of Bama has me an OSU super fan next Monday.

the line at seven will probably go down slightly before the game. one thing is sure, the two game span where Justin Fields threw five interceptions is the exception for his time with Ohio State. he tends to make good decisions and is very accurate. I would add that his injured thumb was a contributing factor in those games and that the interception from yesterday was a tipped pass at the line of scrimmage.

If Sark is going to Texas, that could hurt Bama.

Ignore list -Basebal21

Ignore list -Basebal21

:p