Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit coin in a NGC holder

MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

I just came across a 1906-S U.S. / Philippines Peso housed in a NGC holder that I believe is a counterfeit. I tried to post a picture but for some reason my computer's not letting me do it.
One of the characteristic's of the 1906-S U.S. / Philippine Peso is the straight serif on the number "1" in the date. This one has a curved serif which is a dead giveaway. After looking a little closer I believe that there is a big nasty black hair inside the holder (Disgusting). In my opinion, this holder has been cracked open and had the coin replaced. It really angers me to think someone might purchase this and discover at a later date that they were conned.

eBay item number:114578605624

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Thank you Crypto -

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@Crypto said:
    Are you super sure?

Not 100% - If it's a counterfeit, they would have had to change the "5" into a "6" on the date. Usually you can see where this has been done but the "6" looks good. Maybe I spoke too soon - Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will give their opinion.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a commonly counterfeited coin?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

His selling history shows he also sold a 1906-S Philippines Peso PCGS XF Detail Genuine (#114384376664) in the past 6 months for 5,900. Wonder if he has any more....

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2020 5:17AM

What is inked out on the label? This is a ebay policy violation by itself. You have to show the whole label, nothing can be inked out. The seller has ended the auction.

@ms70 said:

I don't know if it is commonly counterfeited, but the counterfeits that are out there are very deceptive as the one shown. You need to educate yourself about the diagnostics before you purchase one of these.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:
    What is inked out on the label? This is a ebay policy violation by itself. You have to show the whole label, nothing can be inked out. The seller has ended the auction.

@ms70 said:

I don't know if it is commonly counterfeited, but the counterfeits that are out there are very deceptive as the one shown. You need to educate yourself about the diagnostics before you purchase one of these.

The NGC cart number is inked out. I’ve seen that in some other listings of certified coins and don’t think its anything nefarious,

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@rec78 said:

@ms70 said:

The NGC cart number is inked out. I’ve seen that in some other listings of certified coins and don’t think its anything nefarious,

But why ink it out?

• Options

@rec78 said:

@MFeld said:

@rec78 said:

@ms70 said:

But why ink it out?

The owner might be concerned that someone else would falsely claim the same coin/cert number as their own. There are probably other reasons, too.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@rec78 said:

@MFeld said:

@rec78 said:

@ms70 said:

But why ink it out?

The owner might be concerned that someone else would falsely claim the same coin/cert number as their own. There are probably other reasons, too.

Yea, like they have something to hide, or the coin was stolen, or like in the above case, someone may have switched the coin. I for one will never purchase such a coin, and will never sell such a coin either.

• Options

@rec78 said:

@MFeld said:

@rec78 said:

@MFeld said:

@rec78 said:

@ms70 said:

But why ink it out?

Yea, like they have something to hide, or the coin was stolen, or like in the above case, someone may have switched the coin. I for one will never purchase such a coin, and will never sell such a coin either.

That’s your choice. But, while in this instance, I have no opinion, either way, there can be legitimate reasons for covering up the cert number.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@rec78 said:

@MFeld said:

@rec78 said:

@MFeld said:

@rec78 said:

@ms70 said:

But why ink it out?

People hide the serial number so someone can't "steal" their coin to add to their registry set. It's hard to believe but some people will actually do this.

That I believe, but, most of my coins are not registry set worthy. Maybe some lowball ones.

• Options

As I was having my morning coffee I noticed that the "listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing". This after Privatecoin said that seller previously sold another 1906-S Peso in the last six months. That alone should raise concern being as though there are only a few hundred of these known to exist.

• Options

@ms70 said:

Unfortunately, yes it is. The good counterfeiter's use a 1905 "Straight Serif" and tool the "5" into a "6" on the date. Some of them are very skilled and it takes magnification to notice.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@rec78 said:

@MFeld said:

@rec78 said:

@MFeld said:

@rec78 said:

@ms70 said:

But why ink it out?

That’s your choice. But, while in this instance, I have no opinion, either way, there can be legitimate reasons for covering up the cert number.

If they’re selling the coin, they should show the number. I always do a cert verification when I’m considering a purchase. But I do understand someone simply showing a coin, not selling and wanting to hide the number in fear of someone stealing the number for registry reasons. (Which is extremely lame) 😒
    :D

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Listing is now pulled by the seller.... I have no comments on authenticity, but I would not buy unless I could verify the certification number.... Could be done by PM.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

I checked with NGC and was told that the coin is fine.

Even without this information, unless you're 100% certain about something like this, I think it would be more appropriate and fair to at least include a question mark in the thread title.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2020 10:34AM

What are these? Are they maybe plastic stress cracks from opening the slab?

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2020 10:43AM

@MFeld said:

That's awesome!

Do you have a red phone? ;)

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

That's awesome!

Do you have a red phone? ;)

No.

Purple. ;)

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:
    What are these? Are they maybe plastic stress cracks from opening the slab?

Or maybe tape from an auction lot label?

https://coins.ha.com/itm/philippines/philippines-usa-administration-peso-1906-s-au-details-cleaned-ngc-/a/3067-32137.s

How often does Heritage sell counterfeits in NGC holders?

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not saying the coin is a counterfeit was just stating that those types of stress marks normally appear if a slab has been opened or tampered with

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options

What makes you think they're stress marks?

• Options

@MFeld said:

Even without this information, unless you're 100% certain about something like this, I think it would be more appropriate and fair to at least include a question mark in the thread title.

I'm going to second this. The thread title as it currently exists is unfair to the eBay seller. With just a little bit of research, it would have been possible to determine that the same coin was previously sold in a Heritage auction. And not as a counterfeit.

• Options
    edited December 21, 2020 7:56PM

@MFeld said:

Really? I can't believe they didn't say we missed one.

I just checked the coin in question again and I'm very confident that it's been altered. Other than the slanting or curved serif on the "1" it also has an open loop on the "9". On a genuine 1906-S Peso the "9" is closed on the bottom loop, almost touching. This change in the die was made for the 1906-S coinage and is the same for the 1906 Proof coinage by the Philadelphia Mint that year.

Mistakes do happen, remember the U.S. / Philippines 10 Centavo that was graded by PCGS?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file