Home› PCGS Set Registry Forum

Working to improve my set and bam 💥 got knocked down again

jabbajabba Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 13, 2020 8:41AM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

Just complaining sorry! I was working on the number #5 spot and bam 💥 I’m number #7 again sigh 😔 guess I knew it was going to happen I’ve been watching everyone under me and someone had one coin left and they had heavy hitters in the line up now they are #3 now competing with D L Hansen and Wonder coins its a impossible to complete with those guys but someday I’ll get in that top 5

Comments

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    Just complaining sorry! I was working on the number #5 spot and bam 💥 I’m number #7 again sigh 😔 guess I knew it was going to happen I’ve been watching everyone under me and someone had one coin left and they had heavy hitters in the line up now they are #3 now competing with D L Hansen and Wonder coins its a impossible to complete with those guys but someday I’ll get in that top 5

a very reasonable goal to get your set into the top 5. Heavy hitters always have the advantage especially with pop 1 coins but as time goes by many of these sets are broken up and sold so keep the faith.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel your pain.

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a set that's been sitting at # 6 for awhile. Earlier this week, without any action on my part it moved to # 5. Hmmm !!! A quick look showed a member above me had 2 coins removed. Showed incomplete. Took a quick screen shot of my now Top 5. Sure enough, a couple days later I'm back to # 6 as his coins are back and upgraded. I know I don't have the budget to compete but I was there for a couple days. I'm O.K. with that.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 2017 I was #1 in 5 sets. Today I do not have any #1 sets and I have improved all of them.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    In 2017 I was #1 in 5 sets. Today I do not have any #1 sets and I have improved all of them.

maybe you should start a "modern day set" and pass it on

Kennedys are my quest...

• PwrHseProPwrHsePro Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

There are alot of #1 Rankings of the set that I have a #1... I wish there were sub rankings so I could see how I ranked if you go by Population or PCGS Population.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/complete-sets/complete-specialty-sets/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-complete-set-circulation-strikes-proof-2019/publishedset/222806

I mainly collect raw Ancients, PCGS Mercury Dimes, and raw CSA'S... but have misc other sets...Jeffhttps://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/set/215647https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/showcase/8378

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:

Its tough to stay at the top!

• BlueSkyFarmsBlueSkyFarms Posts: 1 ✭
    edited December 19, 2020 4:46PM

Hopefully this is an encouragement. While I'm still pretty new at this, it shocks me how few coins are graded. Grabbing a year at random. You have a 2018-P Pictured Rocks NP at MS67. There have been 186 million minted and only 245 graded at PCGS. That spells opportunity to me. Develop an eye for grades. Uncirculated coins can be had for $2 (or less) and grading depending on how many you submit at a time is around $22/coin. A MS 68 of that year has a catalog of $175. Doesn't matter how many you have to go through, you can resell them at cost or more depending on how you do it.

Not endorsing this vendor and it's not me, but just as an example. This set is date stamped 1/10/2018. I'm thinking that's when the dies are still fresh. Two rolls at $45 (plus shipping) works out to 66.5 cents/coin. In searching for 2018-P there's lots for sale at $1.50 each or greater.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-P-D-Pictured-Rocks-Quarter-Roll-America-the-Beautiful-Unopened/352589590752?hash=item5217fa30e0:g:7yYAAOSwxNBcXeVd