Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2021 Morgan & Peace Dollars

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/congress-approves-design-centennial-2021-silver-dollars
Not sure who all saw this yet but it looks like the bill finally passed! Looks like it will be multiple Mints, multiple finishes and possibly privy marks. Should be very interesting when things get finalized.

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of different options, maybe some of them will be chocolate filled?

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell yeah! ;)

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should have done a special CC release.

• Options
    Dirt94Dirt94 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:
    Should have done a special CC release.

I believe it mentions special CC privy marks on some.

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are not enough Morgan dollars out there, sigh.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let the Anxiety begin... :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bill needs to be signed before Jan 20 or it’ll have to start again I believe. But I called it earlier this year: different mints, finishes, and such. Probably 20 of each design, lol.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said "Probably 20 of each design, lol."

And I'm afraid I'll be gullible enough to buy the them all.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please no spaghetti haired Morgans

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys can have the Morgans. I'm in for all of the Peace dollars.

US MINT: TAKE MY MONEY

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have over 500 certified 1921-Ps, but I have no proofs. And I've never bought anything directly from the Mint.
    But I will get a couple of these.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

Same here.

• Options
    InditonkaInditonka Posts: 434 ✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

I'll be a part of this crowd!

• Options
    smallchangesmallchange Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

Will they be in the original size or the size of the sba or sac dollar

Successful BST transactions with lkenefic, AnkurJ, ajia, stephunter, No lawyer
  • Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

💥 INCREDIBLE NEWS!! 💥

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

SEC. 4. DESIGN OF COINS.

(a) Design Requirements.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—The designs of the coins minted under this Act shall honor either the Morgan dollar or the Peace dollar, as follows—

(A) MORGAN DOLLAR.—The coins honoring the 100th anniversary of completion of coinage of the Morgan dollar shall have an obverse design and a reverse design that are renditions of the designs historically used on the obverse and reverse of the Morgan dollar.

(B) PEACE DOLLAR.—The coins honoring the 100th anniversary of commencement of coinage of the Peace dollar shall have an obverse design and a reverse design that are renditions of the designs historically used on the obverse and reverse of the Peace dollar.

(2) DESIGNATION AND INSCRIPTIONS.—On each coin minted under this Act, there shall be—

(A) a designation of the value of the coin;

(B) an inscription of the year of minting or issuance; and

(C) inscriptions of the words “Liberty”, “In God We Trust”, “United States of America”, and “E Pluribus Unum”.

(b) Selection.—The design for the coins minted under this Act shall be—

(1) selected by the Secretary after consultation with the Commission of Fine Arts; and

(2) reviewed by the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will probably be priced at $1921.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    SEC. 4. DESIGN OF COINS.

(a) Design Requirements.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—The designs of the coins minted under this Act shall honor either the Morgan dollar or the Peace dollar, as follows—

(A) MORGAN DOLLAR.—The coins honoring the 100th anniversary of completion of coinage of the Morgan dollar shall have an obverse design and a reverse design that are renditions of the designs historically used on the obverse and reverse of the Morgan dollar.

(B) PEACE DOLLAR.—The coins honoring the 100th anniversary of commencement of coinage of the Peace dollar shall have an obverse design and a reverse design that are renditions of the designs historically used on the obverse and reverse of the Peace dollar.

(2) DESIGNATION AND INSCRIPTIONS.—On each coin minted under this Act, there shall be—

(A) a designation of the value of the coin;

(B) an inscription of the year of minting or issuance; and

(C) inscriptions of the words “Liberty”, “In God We Trust”, “United States of America”, and “E Pluribus Unum”.

(b) Selection.—The design for the coins minted under this Act shall be—

(1) selected by the Secretary after consultation with the Commission of Fine Arts; and

(2) reviewed by the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee.

The legislation is already contradictory.
    Part (1B) stipulates that the Peace Dollar shall use the historical design ("IN GOD WE TRVST").
    Part (2C) stipulates that it shall have "IN GOD WE TRUST".

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

while it could stand to be stated explicitly in the language, I think "TRVST" is called out as the style ["design"] "TRUST" will be presented in ... at least I hope they're faithful to having it show up as "TRVST"

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m going coal miner deep on this release.

• Options

same thread - new opinions

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

thinking (and mentioning) what's right ... what could the mint do wrong here?

• Options
    edited December 18, 2020 8:46PM

right is sticking with 100 year old coins. what would be wrong would be to paint the new issues.

right is making a set, wrong is making a multi finish set for each.

actually, reverence for classic coins. wrong any finish other than MS and PR

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will probably be in for these.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! I had not heard this - and have a lot of different emotions. This is almost certain to bring new interest in coins. No doubt these will (and should be) pricey. There will be mistakes and abnormalities. I hope they are true to the originals.

I would guess the mintage will be at least 100,000.

Vplite99
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    They should strike 1921 of them... >:)

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

I just hope they make enough of them, my anxiety issues can't take anymore of these low mintages. ;)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can see at least one type in this offering to be low mintage to drive interest for the flippers.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:

@vplite99 said:
    I hope they are true to the originals.

I would guess the mintage will be at least 100,000.

...if they want to stay “true to the originals,” they will hammer 100-million+ of them, bag them up to a thousand per, and then into the mint storage vaults they go for fifty years ;)

and then melt most of them.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am interested in these coins.... not sure what I will decide to get....maybe one of each (Morgan/Peace).... will wait to see what is offered. Not interested in fancy finishes, prefer the traditional mint and proof. Should be fun... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

“Don’t bother saying you aren’t interested or not going for the different finishes. Don’t even say you hate the mint. You hate their bot avoidance techniques and you will likely get banned within 10 seconds of the sale. You opened this thread. You read all the posts. Face your inner demons and admit it... you’re in.”
    That’s what the voices in my head said when I saw this thread. Guess I’m in....damn. (shoulders shrugging)

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Angel on right shoulder says you are done after the last ASE...on the other shoulder...you know you want it, just do it.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    while it could stand to be stated explicitly in the language, I think "TRVST" is called out as the style ["design"] "TRUST" will be presented in ... at least I hope they're faithful to having it show up as "TRVST"

Back then V and U were sometimes used interchangeably. I don't think there will be a problem as long as the spirit of the law is followed.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the V was used instead of the U on purpose- not a misspelling - and it stood for Victory.
    The mint wouldn't dare make the new Peace Dollars with a U. Don't even think about it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file