Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Eisenhower 1971-S Type 1 reverse proof

Nickels_ruleNickels_rule Posts: 19
edited December 9, 2020 10:16AM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

"1971-S Silver Type 1 REV PR "

Is this what the PCGS label should read? Or what is the correct labeling?
Thank You

edit: OK, if I read the information correctly at the PCGS site, it's a moot point......beyond moon money.

Comments

• oldsmagnetoldsmagnet Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

The documentation on this coin is unnecessarily confusing, or at least it was for me, for the longest time. If I follow correctly, the 71 Proof Ikes used an updated reverse die, noticeable on the earth-globe. It's the same "Type 1 vs Type 2" design of the '72-P. The Type 1 Reverse is essentially just an earlier coin (As opposed to the "Reverse Proof" label we see on a lot of modern coin designs)

The actual label reads "Type 1 Reverse" on its own line, "Silver" on the line below.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think what you are referring to is the 1971-s type I proof which features the reverse that was used on the 40% silver uncirculated coins. That reverse is different. Take a good look at the Eagle's breast feathers and the wings. There is a significant difference in the appearance. The 71-s type I proof is very rare and there are likely around 10-12 currently known. It is rarely offered for sale or auction. There should be reference to the Type I reverse on the label.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• @oldsmagnet said:
    The documentation on this coin is unnecessarily confusing, or at least it was for me, for the longest time. If I follow correctly, the 71 Proof Ikes used an updated reverse die, noticeable on the earth-globe. It's the same "Type 1 vs Type 2" design of the '72-P. The Type 1 Reverse is essentially just an earlier coin (As opposed to the "Reverse Proof" label we see on a lot of modern coin designs)

The actual label reads "Type 1 Reverse" on its own line, "Silver" on the line below.

@coinkat said:
    I think what you are referring to is the 1971-s type I proof which features the reverse that was used on the 40% silver uncirculated coins. That reverse is different. Take a good look at the Eagle's breast feathers and the wings. There is a significant difference in the appearance. The 71-s type I proof is very rare and there are likely around 10-12 currently known. It is rarely offered for sale or auction. There should be reference to the Type I reverse on the label.

Thank You both for your comments, I really appreciate it. That does clear it up for me. I see the first 4 or 5 sets of "EISENHOWER DOLLARS WITH MAJOR VARIETIES, CIRCULATION STRIKES AND PROOF (1971-1978)" at PCGS are listed as 100% complete, so they must have this coin, wow. I'll settle for 34 out of 35 and call it done!

• oldsmagnetoldsmagnet Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Yeah - there are reports and stories of a coin out there that, if memory serves, had a business strike obverse and proof strike reverse, or something like that. A one-of-one error, prototype, mule, something. For the longest time I suspected this slot represented "that" coin, and really hadn't found anything concrete to verify anything. Turns out it's just the design variety, which, in theory at least, should be a bit easier to secure (well, obviously, I guess, since two of us have now been able to finally. My suspicion is that there's probably a few more of 'em out there that just haven't been found yet, and the people who have 'em hanging out in their private collections have absolutely no idea what they've got...