Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An ebay seller that moderns collectors should avoid...

RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased a Mayflower silver set from ebay seller zzhawww25 on Nov. 19 for $200. Yesterday, now that they've finally started shipping from the Mint the seller cancelled the sale w/o any communication at all. Obviously, he sees that they're bringing more money now so he just cancelled. Negative feedback was left. I wanted to warn you all about this seller. Such sellers have no place on ebay.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that bites! It would've been a lousy set. You'll do better. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

my silver set has been "processing" at the mint since 11/17. Are you saying that will soon change?

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    my silver set has been "processing" at the mint since 11/17. Are you saying that will soon change?

I got one yesterday

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... That is nasty.... I hope you reported it as well. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

Mine has been stuck in processing as well since the 17th, starting to wish I had bought it from the Royal Mint instead.

• Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

Hope you reported the seller. Thanks for the heads up.

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good job, sorry you didn't get the item you won.

Vplite99
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2020 8:56AM

ALL flippers are basically scummy bottom feeders. They buy something they can that they know other people will want later. They add no value, they aren't doing it for the right reasons and they certainly aren't going to leave money on the table for your feelings. Doesn't even really matter if you are a collector doing it to get more money for coins or simply for the profit. Might actually be worse when collectors do it to other collectors.

It is hypocritical for people who brag about their scores (like many on this thread have) to then bemoan people who do it to them. There is no honor among thieves, seller is clearly in his rights and your protests wont affect him one bit. Rest assured, If they had gone down in value he would have sent them. Pay up or have a hole in your set... that is the flipper mantra

I think your plight is funny

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2020 8:59AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    phewwww....thank God it wasn't me.

It's still early but that made my day :)

Great post!

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly, Crypto has a point. “Scummy bottom feeders” is not the term that I would choose, though. Opportunist, yes.
    Whenever I buy something from the Mint and if it isn’t part of my collection and I plan on turning it sooner or later, I just keep my yap shut.
    I don’t think the forum members that are unlucky want to hear about my golden ticket.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

That being said, I respect and like Raufus. The boy has passion.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

It takes all types 😖

• Options

@Crypto said:
    ALL flippers are basically scummy bottom feeders. They buy something they can that they know other people will want later. They add no value, they aren't doing it for the right reasons and they certainly aren't going to leave money on the table for your feelings. Doesn't even really matter if you are a collector doing it to get more money for coins or simply for the profit. Might actually be worse when collectors do it to other collectors.

It is hypocritical for people who brag about their scores (like many on this thread have) to then bemoan people who do it to them. There is no honor among thieves, seller is clearly in his rights and your protests wont affect him one bit. Rest assured, If they had gone down in value he would have sent them. Pay up or have a hole in your set... that is the flipper mantra

I half agree with this.

My slight disagreement:
    We don't really know what was in the heart and mind of the seller. Sometimes, there are legitimate problems that arise. I had a friend drop a medal the other day and put a giant rim ding in it after he had offered it for sale. I've also had the Mint short my order and, due to "unavailability", be unable to make up the difference. [Side note: it took me two months to get my money back when that happened.]

• Options

@ndeagles said:
    Mine has been stuck in processing as well since the 17th, starting to wish I had bought it from the Royal Mint instead.

You still can. But they were significantly more expensive - $260 rather than $150.

• Options
    edited December 15, 2020 9:55AM

@MilesWaits said:
    That being said, I respect and like Raufus. The boy has passion.

Thank you MilesWaits. Like and respect is mutual.

• Options
    EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

While I agree with crypto what I'd add along those lines are the number of collectors who missed out ordering something from the mint and then state angrily how they'll never buy from the U.S. Mint again. Which is their prerogative. As if they are showing the mint somehow by opting out in favor of buying on the secondary and for less than issue. This is a silly philosophy at best. Whether it's bought cheaper, more or for the same as issued someone still paid the mint for that product. Not to mention that for every person who drops out another, or more, are gained. So the U.S. Mint loses nothing.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Raifus- did you get your shot yet man?

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    Danno44Danno44 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

Because of this thread I put a watch on the item. He sent an attempt of an offer that I refused.

• Options

@Mgarmy said:

Thanks for asking!

The vaccine arrived at our place today. It's actually an emotional thing for so many as we've been through so much: over 4000 COVID pts at our hospital. Many staff got it at work, some passed away.

The first vaccines will be tomorrow morning. I have to work all night tomorrow so I didn't sign up then. I'm off on Friday. I'm scheduled for 07:30 on Friday. We're asked, if possible, to get when we're not working due to the possible side effects. We will be getting the Pfizer vaccine as it was the first to be approved.

Re: the thread, thanks for all of the replies. I just wanted to give you all a heads up. No biggie. If it were a more expensive coin that would be one thing. Still, a deal is a deal.

An interesting p.s. to this story. The day following my leaving negative feedback the seller contacted me. He said he didn't want to hold my money for that long so he just cancelled. I explained that it would have been very helpful for him to have contacted my PRIOR to just cancelling. Don't know what to make of him - whether he just wanted me to try to change the negative (not sure if even possible) or what.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Crypto said:

I half agree with this.

My slight disagreement:
    We don't really know what was in the heart and mind of the seller. Sometimes, there are legitimate problems that arise. I had a friend drop a medal the other day and put a giant rim ding in it after he had offered it for sale. I've also had the Mint short my order and, due to "unavailability", be unable to make up the difference. [Side note: it took me two months to get my money back when that happened.]

This is only the 4th or so negative I've ever left in over 15 years on ebay.

Had I been contacted prior to canceling with any plausible explanation I'd have been fine. Just canceling w/zero communication esp when it was below the current market is unacceptable to me.

• Options

@Raufus said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Crypto said:

I half agree with this.

My slight disagreement:

This is only the 4th or so negative I've ever left in over 15 years on ebay.

Had I been contacted prior to canceling with any plausible explanation I'd have been fine. Just canceling w/zero communication esp when it was below the current market is unacceptable to me.

I didn't mean that as a criticism of your actions - though I'm not sure I would have called him out publicly on the forum. A negative for bad behavior seems perfectly appropriate. There is no reason to not provide an explanation for the cancellation - even if the explanation was a lie. I was referring to Crypto's comment that seemed to be calling him and all flippers "thieves".

• Options

@Raufus said:

@Mgarmy said:

Thanks for asking!

The vaccine arrived at our place today. It's actually an emotional thing for so many as we've been through so much: over 4000 COVID pts at our hospital. Many staff got it at work, some passed away.

The first vaccines will be tomorrow morning. I have to work all night tomorrow so I didn't sign up then. I'm off on Friday. I'm scheduled for 07:30 on Friday. We're asked, if possible, to get when we're not working due to the possible side effects. We will be getting the Pfizer vaccine as it was the first to be approved.

Re: the thread, thanks for all of the replies. I just wanted to give you all a heads up. No biggie. If it were a more expensive coin that would be one thing. Still, a deal is a deal.

An interesting p.s. to this story. The day following my leaving negative feedback the seller contacted me. He said he didn't want to hold my money for that long so he just cancelled. I explained that it would have been very helpful for him to have contacted my PRIOR to just cancelling. Don't know what to make of him - whether he just wanted me to try to change the negative (not sure if even possible) or what.

You can retract the negative - if you wanted.

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

Raufus
    I may hv missed your post on your line of work, but you must be a front line personnel since you are designated to receive the vaccine.

THANK YOU for your service!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Raufus said:

@Mgarmy said:

Thanks for asking!

How do you retract a negative? I thought that once you leave feedback, you can't change it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    edited December 16, 2020 6:05AM

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Raufus said:

@Mgarmy said:

Thanks for asking!

How do you retract a negative? I thought that once you leave feedback, you can't change it.

I don't know if you can directly do it yourself, but it is easy to do if the recipient requests a revision. That's how I did it.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/leaving-feedback-buyers/replying-feedback-received-item-sold?id=4102&st=3&pos=3&query=Replying to feedback you received for an item you sold&intent=revise feedback&context=9010_BUYER&lucenceai=lucenceai

• Options

Epilogue: The seller finally got the coin. He contacted me and said that when I'm at a computer he'd relist it for the original price that I paid so that I could buy it.

A couple of days ago the Mint sold some off and I was able to get one at the issues price. Thus, I told him that I don't need it.

It is now clear to me that this guy is a clueless new seller who didn't realize that you don't just cancel an auction with no communication.

Also, he got burned because he was doing a hot Mint item pre-sale which I never do. Many do, but there are so many possible problems with them I've always thought that they're a bad idea.

I told him that I'd contact ebay and try to get the negative removed.

Since he's not a premium member the rep couldn't change it. I told him how to go into his seller feedback and send me a feedback revision request and that I'd change it.

I also told him that very, very few buyers would spend the time and effort to revise a negative as I've done and that hopefully he learned from this. He's sold very few items. My negative if it stood drops him from 100% to below 90+ pos FB. I didn't want to hose him for an honest mistake.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raufus said:

@Mgarmy said:

Thanks for asking!

After reading your first post to this thread, I wrote to the seller and told him he was making a bad name for himself, doing business that way. He replied that he’d cancelled because he hadn’t received the item from the Mint. I then told him he should have contacted you to let you know and he said he would do that. He sounded somewhat clueless, but sincere.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2020 11:36AM

Man, this is a tough crowd.
    I think flipping is ABSOLUTELY reasonable. I do not think it is reasonable to accept an offer and have it paid for AND THEN pull it away because you can get more for the item, that stinks. I must be alone in this thought

Edited to add.... sucks when I miss out on something I truly want though.

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Raufus said:

@Mgarmy said:

Thanks for asking!

After reading your first post to this thread, I wrote to the seller and told him he was making a bad name for himself, doing business that way. He replied that he’d cancelled because he hadn’t received the item from the Mint. I then told him he should have contacted you to let you know and he said he would do that. He sounded somewhat clueless, but sincere.

That's great of u.

I think clueless but sincere is spot on. That's y I went thru so much effort to revise the feedback once it was clear what happened.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raufus said:

@MFeld said:

@Raufus said:

@Mgarmy said:

Thanks for asking!

That's great of u.

I think clueless but sincere is spot on. That's y I went thru so much effort to revise the feedback once it was clear what happened.

Sure thing and that’s kind of you to go to the trouble to try to revise the feedback.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited December 19, 2020 12:32PM

@MFeld said:

@Raufus said:

@MFeld said:

@Raufus said:

@Mgarmy said:

Thanks for asking!

That's great of u.

Sure thing and that’s kind of you to go to the trouble to try to revise the feedback.

Thanks.

I was just able to revise his feedback. Took him from 89% positive to 100%. Not sure too many buyers would have done this for him. He was super appreciative. We all have to learn somehow. He would have been hosed with 89% feedback and the comments that I left. I think he learned from this.

• Options

I think there is far more ignorance than malice involved in most of these things.

• Options
    edited December 19, 2020 1:36PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    I think there is far more ignorance than malice involved in most of these things.

That was the case here. However, the last time that this happened to me I looked at the sellers items for sale and noticed my exact item at a higher price.

With "hot" moderns I've seen many instances of seller cancelling and relisting at higher prices.

I try to look at each case individually. I've very rarely leave a negative. For me to leave a negative it has to be very well deserved.

• Options

both parties to an ebay pre-sale should have their heads examined.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

@derryb said:

I would never do one as a seller.

However, if your a buyer and find on at a good price why not?

• Options
    edited December 19, 2020 4:59PM

@Raufus said:

@derryb said:

Because your money gets tied up, then the seller cancels, then you have are not happy.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    edited December 19, 2020 9:06PM

@derryb said:

@Raufus said:

@derryb said:

Because your money gets tied up, then the seller cancels, then you have are not happy.

Definitely carries that risk. I'd never do it w something expensive.

Also seller dependant. I know this guy could b a risk w so few sales. I worry less about mote experienced sellers. Of course, most experienced sellers don't do pre sales.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file