Home Metal Detecting

A bit of help needed to identify use and/or period

ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit new to metal detecting and am working some old sites. This one is a house built in 1900, there may have been another dwelling on the land before that starting around 1750. This item is very heavy and I believe not that old - looks machined. Im just not sure what it would be used for and am thinking its from the 1950s or a bit earlier. I found it about five to six inches deep.
Could it have been used as a hoist of some kind? the end has a link that looks like it is a joiner. just guesses on my part. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Comments

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

Might be horse tack

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

@Bayard1908 said:
    Might be horse tack

Thanks for the suggestion, but I cannot see it as a horse tack -- much too heavy. The width of the ring and links are almost an inch.

• Might be a log chain

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ron1968 said:
    Might be a log chain

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Very possible thank you.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything heavy was dragged with a chain. In order to reveal hand forged joint seams, you should consider cleaning by electrolysis. Then a bath in paraffin. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@Namvet69 said:
    Everything heavy was dragged with a chain. In order to reveal hand forged joint seams, you should consider cleaning by electrolysis. Then a bath in paraffin. IMO. Peace Roy

What timing -- my next question was how do I clean it.

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

I clean rusty steel or iron by soaking in white vinegar. It works slowly over days or even weeks. I like the slowness. I can stop the process at any point from light rust removal to bare steel.

I most recently did a very rusty skeleton key. Unfortunately, rust was just about the only thing holding the key together. I ended up with a fragile key shaped honeycomb that I discarded.

@Namvet69 said:

I've started the electrolysis bath, but what is the paraffin for? I was thinking of either sprinkling baking soda and rubbing after the bath or just rice with distiller water. Thoughts?

@Bayard1908 said:
    I clean rusty steel or iron by soaking in white vinegar. It works slowly over days or even weeks. I like the slowness. I can stop the process at any point from light rust removal to bare steel.

I most recently did a very rusty skeleton key. Unfortunately, rust was just about the only thing holding the key together. I ended up with a fragile key shaped honeycomb that I discarded.

I'll try the white vinegar on a couple of smaller items.

Oxen Yoke Hitch

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

@1630Boston said:
    Oxen Yoke Hitch

I actually consider that, but mine has three links and the fourth link is a connecting or joiner link to something. No hooks and not long like the yokes. But the ring and three links is very similar. Thank you for the suggestion.
    I'm giving it an electrolysis bath right now to hopefully see more of the joiner link.

What you call a 'joiner' could just be a repair link.

@1630Boston said:
    What you call a 'joiner' could just be a repair link.

I never thought about that. Thanks

@Exbrit immersing cleaned iron objects like cannon balls, artillery rounds in hot paraffin is one way to preserve them. YouTube has good videos on both electrolysis cleaning and preservation methods. Battery charger, electrical leads, anode, conductive solution, etc. Have fun and be careful. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@Exbrit while detecting I dug up 2 early 19th century wood splitting wedges made from 2-3 railroad spikes that were reheated and pound into a wedge. Initially each lump looked like a hunk of rusty iron until the rust was removed by electrolysis. Both are in my shed, but I can't find them right now.

@Exbrit there's a guy Beau Oimett aka Aquachigger on YouTube, who has an excellent video on both cleaning and paraffin methods. Check it out. Merry merry.

@Namvet69 said:
    @Exbrit there's a guy Beau Oimett aka Aquachigger on YouTube, who has an excellent video on both cleaning and paraffin methods. Check it out. Merry merry.

Thank you!!!

Well - the electrolysis has been going for a couple of days and is making progress. There is a lot of rust and this is a big item to clean. I have it set for 12 volts using 2 amps. I know have five contact points instead of just one, so hopefully this will speed up the process. I could use a larger gauge wire for the connectors as the wire I am using is pretty thin.

My set up is in a five gallon bucket with six rebar sticks spaced evenly around the interior. All of the sticks are connected to each other and the car charger. I figure I have about half the rust off so far.
    Now I have to learn about the paraffin treatment once the rust is off. This is my first experiment and I probably should have started on something smaller - like an old square nail.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds interesting.... I look forward to pictures when the electrolysis is complete. Cheers, RickO

You're doing great! Slow and steady wins the race. Peace Roy

Anyone ever hear or seen tags or tokens from the W A Bunting, Pittsburg (no H) possible dated between 1890-1920?

@Exbrit said:
    I'm a bit new to metal detecting and am working some old sites. This one is a house built in 1900, there may have been another dwelling on the land before that starting around 1750. This item is very heavy and I believe not that old - looks machined. Im just not sure what it would be used for and am thinking its from the 1950s or a bit earlier. I found it about five to six inches deep.
    Could it have been used as a hoist of some kind? the end has a link that looks like it is a joiner. just guesses on my part. Any assistance will be appreciated.

To go along with with the photos above, the below was found close to them. Any idea of what it may be? It looks hand forged to me. I'll have to clean it up some.

Nice forged pivot link. Back in the old days, before machinery, all farm labor was beast of burden powered using chains. You can see the wear at 12 & 6 o'clock on that piece. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely looks as if it could be part of the same rig that you found before.... Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Definitely looks as if it could be part of the same rig that you found before.... Cheers, RickO

I believe that it is as the chain and ring look very similar now that 70% of the rust is off it. I'll post a photo when the percentage is a bit higher.

Cheers