Home PSA Set Registry Forum

One of my submission cards got an N9. I have no clue why.

Briefly...I sent in a 100 card submission in May, I got them yesterday. All cards are good except for the one shown below. I own the #1 David Ortiz Master Topps set, and have well over 300+++ PSA graded cards in the set, some are awaiting addition to the composition.
So, the card in question is a 2011 Topps Lineage, #75RDO. IMO, the card would easily grade a PSA 8, or better, maybe even a 10.
There are a TON of variations in the set, and it baffles me as to why, when I read what the N9 code says, why this card was not graded. It is pertinent to note that PSA has 2 cards in the POP report, a PSA 8 and a PSA 9. So, PSA has graded this card previously. The card is a mini, so it doesn't fall into the oversize arena...and it surely isn't obscure, it was printed in 2011.

I have reported this to PSA requesting a clarification. No response yet, but will post whatever they say when I get it. Attached pics are the exact card, both sides in and out of the sleeve. The sleeved will show what PSA responded with. I truly have not a remote clue why this card would not be allowed into the Ortiz Master Topps set.

COMMENTS, THOUGHTS WELCOME

N-9 Don't Grade - When we do not grade an issue. The cards may be oversized or an obscure issue. You will not be charged the grading fee.

Comments

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s not an N9 - no grade, or it would say that on the label. It’s a “no holder,” which could be for any of a number of reasons. Either way, I agree it’s baffling.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    That’s not an N9 - no grade, or it would say that on the label. It’s a “no holder,” which could be for any of a number of reasons. Either way, I agree it’s baffling.

I think its just semantics. The N9 starts with "no grade", I guess the label I got could have said "no grade", vs "no holder". With the dozens and dozens of variations in this set, I can't fathom why a mini relic 75 card would not be graded.

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2020 5:21AM

I suppose you could take it literally as "NOHOLDER": We ran out of holders cause Jerry forgot to order some—stupid Jerry. :/

It will be interesting to see what PSA says. Good luck! This is one situation that I haven't run into as of yet (famous last words). :(

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2020 5:28PM

Good question.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

The infamous N9 grade I got on my 2011 Lineage David Ortiz mini relics #75RDO has been settled.

The reason is that (believe it or not), PSA tells me they don't have a case that will "safely" encapsulate the card. Apparently the card is too thick and the slabs PSA has allow for too much slop that might endanger the corners. Pics attached of said card. I'm pretty sure it would have gotten a 9, with a good shot at a 10...but, so it goes.

That's it, that's all. I will say they were pretty decent about it and turned it around within a month.