Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a dateless 1921 Peace dollar?

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a 1921 based on the high relief but I can't imagine why any serious coin collector would want it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2020 5:41AM

It would be interesting to see a high relief (1921) Peace dollar with no date. Please take the time and post images so when the listing goes away the thread will still be relevant.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat, I'm leaning the same way you are and heavily so. ;)

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be, but based on the images, no way to be certain.... Either way, it has been used and abused to the point that it is worth melt as a numismatic item. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2020 7:29AM

If it is a 1921, not a bad scrap silver dollar deal for $25.91 shipped. I would buy it at that price, keep it in the same 2 X 2, and throw it in with my junk silver.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

the reverse has the 1921 reverse. but I am leaning toward counterfeit although it could b grease filled date. The wear pattern and rim damage seem odd for a coin in the 3-4 area.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think $25 is actually a bit high. If it was just worn, sure, but worn and damaged is junk silver IMO.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is definitively so - count the rays to the left of "ONE" in dollar.. only 1921 and 1935-S had 4 rays.
    (unless its one of those 10 high relief satin 1922 proofs)

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

lowball candidate?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold...probably somebody’s pocket piece...maybe they fell asleep on the train tracks? ;)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope who ever bought it is happy with it.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    lowball candidate?

No. It has serious rim damage.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a date, and it's a 1921 Peace dollar, but it's nothing I'd ever want to buy.

• Options
    LewLew Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Here is a 78-S NGC GSA soft pack (graded AG3) that went for $255 on eBay back on Nov 15.
    Only half rims on obv and no rims on the rev.
    I thought it was won by a Lowball collector.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those rim dings would not allow a straight grade...imo.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always been a fan of this high relief dollar (the year my dad was born). Anytime I can get one for $10. over melt I'm in.

peacockcoins

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2020 11:41PM

I don't know who would want it. Maybe someone is putting together a cull dateless type set. Someone said "There is a home for everything". This proves him right.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is a good start for a pocket piece

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file