Home Metal Detecting

My Silver Drought For This Year is Over

Hunted this park off and on for 20 years. My first silver

Comments

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. If you don't mind my asking, what model of detector do you use?

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fisher CZ-70 Bought it in 2004 It's been good to me.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those little buggers can hide for a long time.... You know that one was not dropped yesterday. Cheers, RickO

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Fisher CZ-70 Bought it in 2004 It's been good to me.

If you're rarely getting silver coins, I couldn't honestly say that the machine has been good to you.

I have owned a number of analog Fisher CZs in the past and currently own a couple of Los Banos made CZ3Ds. Your digital CZ works the same way, except for the display. The problem with the CZs, and their concentric coil, is that they will often misidentify a deep coin as iron.

You might be walking over more silver, that is just outside the reach of your CZ, than you realize. If you haven't already done so, I respectfully suggest that you try a Minelab FBS machine such as an Etrac, Explorer, or Safari. These detectors typically give accurate ID on silver coins deeper than a CZ. You could also try a Minelab Equinox, especially if the silver in your area isn't deep but is masked by junk targets.

In 16 years of use, I'm sure that you have mastered your CZ; but, time has moved on and better detectors are available for reasonable prices.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

It took me awhile to get use to the cz70. I actually went back to my old one until it shot craps. Then I had to use the 70. After I figured out how to use most of it I started finding a lot more stuff especially nickels Also found more gold too. But not as much of that lately. I don’t use a head set either. I’m sure there would be benefits but I like to know what’s going on around me in parks and school areas

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems... I totally understand about the 'awareness' issue, and agree. Being involved in personal security training, it is an area I stress with students. No defense is adequate when you do not know the attack is coming. And predators always seek the 'unaware' or weak. Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats on the silver. its always a good feeling :)

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find!