Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

will BEP print & sell new uncut sheets by EOY?

not terribly surprisingly, uncut currency on the us mint site has been sold out for months now

maybe a little more surprising is that even by today - just about 1 month before Christmas - they haven't put new uncut sheets up on the site

really missing the holiday gifting season sales opportunity

anyone have insight or links to articles discussing the mints/BEPs plans for new uncut currency sales?

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good question. I have an inside source at the BEP, I’ll shoot them an email.
    On an unrelated subject, how did you get your screen name to print backwards ?

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mbwizkid said:
    Good question. I have an inside source at the BEP, I’ll shoot them an email.
    On an unrelated subject, how did you get your screen name to print backwards ?

thanks, mb! I know times are strange, but them not literally printing money to make money around the holidays, when I'm sure they'd do great business is maybe even stranger

unicode, my friend - i use this simple text formatter: https://lingojam.com/FancyTextGenerator

¡unɟ ǝʌɐɥ

• Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    not terribly surprisingly, uncut currency on the us mint site has been sold out for months now

maybe a little more surprising is that even by today - just about 1 month before Christmas - they haven't put new uncut sheets up on the site

really missing the holiday gifting season sales opportunity

anyone have insight or links to articles discussing the mints/BEPs plans for new uncut currency sales?

The short answer is "not this year." I spoke to the BEP marketing manager back in September. He told me the Bureau is working exclusively on filling the Fed's orders for currency. All collector material has been suspended. The only people getting into the building are staff directly responsible for printing -- they can't afford to have a Covid outbreak that shuts down the nation's supply of money. We will be lucky if we see a return to collector sheets and prints by next summer.

Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • Options

@gsalex oof - makes sense - thanks so much for sharing - appreciate it

• Options

My source inside the BEP says it’s extremely doubtful that anything showing as Currently Unavailable will be restocked before EOY.

• Options

thanks @mbwizkid

• Options

resurrecting this quickly just to add I still haven't seen uncut sheets go back on sale since an early year sellout last year just after covid broke - checking every day; nothing ... 👀

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 422 ✭✭✭

Last year, just before our lockdown (around March this time), I checked a local bookstore for a Charlton currency catalogue & they were all sold out too. I've never seen that before....

• Options

bump - still no uncut currency up on the mint site

anyone with predictions as to when [if?] they'll get this back into salable production?

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    bump - still no uncut currency up on the mint site

anyone with predictions as to when [if?] they'll get this back into salable production?

Try the BEP, where they print the FRNs.

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:> Try the BEP, where they print the FRNs.

You’re correct, they print our paper money at the BEP, but sales of the BEP collectors items, sheets and premium products, are featured and sold on the U.S.Mint website. My source says they won’t start replenishing collectors items to at least this summer.

• Options

@mbwizkid said:

You’re correct, they print our paper money at the BEP, but sales of the BEP collectors items, sheets and premium products, are featured and sold on the U.S.Mint website. My source says they won’t start replenishing collectors items to at least this summer.

thanks for passing along the tenatitive timeline - will be interesting to see if there are any revamps of product assortments, or simply a replenishing of previous products

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

Yep Ten Trillion dollars is gonna take some time to print,
    will our collectibles see that inflatng effect?

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mbwizkid said:

They print the Federal Reserve’s currency. The US hasn’t issued currency since 1971 (Series 1966A $100 US Notes).
    Money is mined, currency is printed.

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:> Money is mined, currency is printed.

When the BEP sold paper money products on their website, it was called The Money Store...

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2021 8:56AM

"Money is minted. Currency is printed. "

It's has to rhyme.

Slightly (but not far) off topic question.

Is there readily available information as to how many sheets were printed and/or sold by date, signatures, number of subjects and/or denominations? What are the keys and how many were made?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

I primarily use the information at the uspapermoney website. This link is to the page that explains the serial numbers used and what particular blocks and denominations were used. From there you have to research the serial number ranges on the individual series and denominations in a different area of the website. uspapermoney.info/general/uncut.html

• Options

Thank you.

It seems that sooner or later someone may put this information together in one place and publish it.

I wonder how the rates at which these sheets get cut varies and which ones are more often cut and which ones survive intact in the greatest percentages. 32 and 16 subject sheets of $1s are probably used most often as wrapping paper. Are the four subject sheets cut more often than other sizes? Do serial numbers play a role? There are probably many fewer high denominations printed but are many of these cut for singles?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

Think about buying an uncut sheet of paper money from the BEP as you would buying a Lottery Scratch-Off ticket. It’s all about the serial numbers. Everyone wants to get the solid 9’s or something else fancy. I’m guessing at least half of the 2004A $10 Atlanta replacement sheets were cut up into smaller sheets or individual notes. The 2009 $2 Lucky Money sheets is the only way a block collector can get blocks K-D through K-R. Check out the corner note on this 2009 $2 sheet.

• Options

It wouldn't take much to make that a solid. Not suggesting anything-just an observation.

If the idea on the Lucky notes is to get lucky "8s", you can't do much better than that one.