Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Sedwick auction #28

Did anyone win a cool lot you would like to share? I was shut out. ☹️

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.

Comments

• EuclidEuclid Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I was also outbid on everything. There were some exciting lots for sure.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Euclid said:

What lots did you like ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outbid on every single Carlos and Iohanna, a medal, a Vargas-Sombrerete...

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing for me this time

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lot 429 was ultra cool and rare but out of my league.

Lot 238 was my first choice but someone wanted it more and 1595 would have been a consolation prize but no luck.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • EuclidEuclid Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@Euclid said:

What lots did you like ?

Most of the toned CAR 8 reales. With my budget I was hoping one or two would go unnoticed but I think they deserved the strong prices that were realized.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also liked some of the CAR 8 Reales - any one here get one of those?

My current "Box of 20"

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t end up bidding . I have trouble telling what the toning actually looks like from the Sedwick pics.

• fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 227 ✭✭✭✭

I bought the 1760MM, looking forward to seeing it in hand.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

C&J coins are too overpriced now. I can’t win anything I like.

Pursuing other areas instead. The cycle will come around in a few years.

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 12:18AM

@fluffy155 said:
    I bought the 1760MM, looking forward to seeing it in hand.

Glad I didn't get in your way -- are you going to cross it? It would be nice to see in a TrueView.

• fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 227 ✭✭✭✭

I'll probably give it a try eventually, when I have a few others I can send along with it.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 6:03PM

@pruebas said:
    C&J coins are too overpriced now. I can’t win anything I like.

Not an area I know well, but it seems to me you can still get really great coins for not that much money. Maybe a lot more than they used to be, but that alone doesn't make them overpriced.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas , I hope you are right...

• EddiEddi Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were a number of items I bid on, but this was one which I really wanted. A 1/2 real coin minted at Lima, Peru during the reign of Philipp II by assayer Rincon.

https://auction.sedwickcoins.com/Lima-Peru-1-2-real-Philip-II-assayer-R-Rincon-to-left-legends-HISPAN-IARVM-ex-Jones-Plate_i38817308

This is a very interesting and historical type from the very early days of the Lima mint. back in the '80s and '90's this type was considered very scarce to rare. In the meantime however, quite as few more seem to have appeared in the market. I believe that many of this new found specimens were found in the river Rimac which runs through Lima.

This example shows a beautiful, well struck obverse, with the reverse being a bit mushy due to a double strikes. It still is a very nice coin. I had planned to bid live on this lot and left a preliminary competitive bid. Unfortunately, due to the time difference between the US and Europe I missed the live auction.......

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi said:
    There were a number of items I bid on, but this was one which I really wanted. A 1/2 real coin minted at Lima, Peru during the reign of Philipp II by assayer Rincon.

https://auction.sedwickcoins.com/Lima-Peru-1-2-real-Philip-II-assayer-R-Rincon-to-left-legends-HISPAN-IARVM-ex-Jones-Plate_i38817308

This is a very interesting and historical type from the very early days of the Lima mint. back in the '80s and '90's this type was considered very scarce to rare. In the meantime however, quite as few more seem to have appeared in the market. I believe that many of this new found specimens were found in the river Rimac which runs through Lima.

This example shows a beautiful, well struck obverse, with the reverse being a bit mushy due to a double strikes. It still is a very nice coin. I had planned to bid live on this lot and left a preliminary competitive bid. Unfortunately, due to the time difference between the US and Europe I missed the live auction.......

very nice!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.