Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USA Territory Coin - Philippines Peso

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

“One thing that may help generate more interest in the coins is a more complete pedigree / provenance list on CoinFacts.

Right now the 1903 PR68 peso isn't listed in the census at all, but is shown as a featured photo.

And there's no provenance for any of the coins in the census.”

Zoins.... The interest level is sky high already. Have you not watched a Heritage auction Signature session recently of the USPI coins? A High grade USPI coin lot comes up for auction. Mike Sadler, the auctioneer, opens the lot and the bidding goes on so long he actually drinks coffee at the podium while the bidders fight it out for the coin - sometimes for a few minutes per lot. Lot, after lot after lot! It’s actually funny to watch Mike relax and drink coffee while the bidders bid back and forth sometimes 15 or 20 or 25 times! Especially as these USPI coins usually follow the classic Commems where the bidding in that series is often very quiet to say the least. 😂

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2020 9:17AM

@wondercoin said:
    “One thing that may help generate more interest in the coins is a more complete pedigree / provenance list on CoinFacts.

Right now the 1903 PR68 peso isn't listed in the census at all, but is shown as a featured photo.

And there's no provenance for any of the coins in the census.”

Zoins.... The interest level is sky high already. Have you not watched a Heritage auction Signature session recently of the USPI coins? A High grade USPI coin lot comes up for auction. Mike Sadler, the auctioneer, opens the lot and the bidding goes on so long he actually drinks coffee at the podium while the bidders fight it out for the coin - sometimes for a few minutes per lot. Lot, after lot after lot! It’s actually funny to watch Mike relax and drink coffee while the bidders bid back and forth sometimes 15 or 20 or 25 times! Especially as these USPI coins usually follow the classic Commems where the bidding in that series is often very quiet to say the least. 😂

Wondercoin

More provenance information will still help :) The NGC list I posted on a post above is good. I wonder when PCGS will be able to update CoinFacts with similar info.

As for prices going through the roof, I'm glad I have this peso then! This is a Robert Harris, Matthew Savanich and Dan Carr piece. Only 2 were struck with the other in Dan's permanent collection. My collection is pretty permanent too :)

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@mvs7 said:
    The main series I collect are "world" coins minted by US Mints (link below), of which the USPI series coins account for 173 out of the 1,090 total coins in the set!

It's interesting to classify these as "world" coins.

I consider them to be US coins, as does PCGS (in CoinFacts).

Why do you classify these as "world" coins? Is it because the Philippines are no longer part of the US today?

The first important reference on this series, Foreign Coins Struck at United States Mints, by Altz and Barton, Whitman, 1964, included the USPI coins as "foreign coins" because that's how the US Mint categorized them. Here's an excerpt from the US Mint Director's report (this one as imaged is from the report, Domestic and Foreign Coins Manufactured by Mints of the United States 1793-1980, in the foreign coins section, pp. 134-135). Interestingly, Altz/Barton followed the mint's convention of excluding Manila Mint issues, as the US Mint at the time also didn't consider that a legitimate US Mint. Thinking on that has evolved over time so that those issues, including the group produced at Manila for the Culion Leper Colony, are now included in the 173-coin count and in PCGS' 1,090-item set composite as linked below.

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2020 10:16AM

The USPI bidding in recent Heritage auctions has been incredible.
    Almost every USPI lot enjoyed multiple bids, often dozens and dozens, and the system often needed time to catch up with the large and sudden influx of bids.

Just when the bidding slowed, and you think the high bid is shown, another flurry of competing bids flowed in.

If you have the chance to view the Heritage auctions live online, and have the patience to wait until the end of the auction, you will likely be rewarded, seeing the auction’s liveliest bidding!

• Options

Next wild USPI bidding will likely take place in either Long Beach February or Central States April, or both.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Set your buy prices, then sit back and watch them, one by one, get blown out of the water. ;)

• Options

By the way, there’s good reason the USPI coins in the recent Heritage auctions are seeing tremendous interest and action.

It’s all about “fresh” coins to the market.

Not only are the U.S. Philippine coins experiencing growing recognition and popularity, but the market is seeing JustHavingFun’s Mahal collection for the first time.

The collection must have been huge as there have been many, many coins offered in at least two or three major auctions so far, and there’s still more to come.

“Fresh” coins make a good auction, and Heritage has this amazing assemblage of the finest handpicked USPI coins, only partially seen heretofore in this forum and in PCGS registry sets.

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

I just bought my second 1903 pf62 peso! I saw it at a decent deal and it has a nice bright white look to it

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

My recent acquisition.
    Not a high end example but I love it for what it is.

I have always admired the design elements / imagery on these coins.

• Options

@JohnnyCache said:
    My recent acquisition.
    Not a high end example but I love it for what it is.

I have always admired the design elements / imagery on these coins.

Nice coin. I believe my 1903 p is an au53/55 as well. I will replace it eventually with an ms example

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

The rarest of the Morgan dollars is the 1895, often referred to as the “king of the Morgans.” Of 12,880 mints struck that year, only 880 survived the melting pot, making the 1895 Morgan extremely rare -

Compare that to the 1906-S U.S./Philippine Peso with less than 200 known to exist -

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mizzou said:
    The rarest of the Morgan dollars is the 1895, often referred to as the “king of the Morgans.” Of 12,880 mints struck that year, only 880 survived the melting pot, making the 1895 Morgan extremely rare -

Compare that to the 1906-S U.S./Philippine Peso with less than 200 known to exist -

I've got a 1/10 oz Platinum Australian coin with a total mintage of 250. Are you saying it should be worth more than an 1895 Morgan $?

It's not the supply. It's the supply relative to the demand.

I sold an Irish bank token of which there are SIX known and mine was tied for finest. It sold for $300. I bought it at a Stack's auction last year for $180. I guess I should have held out for $25,000.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Mizzou said:

I've got a 1/10 oz Platinum Australian coin with a total mintage of 250. Are you saying it should be worth more than an 1895 Morgan $?

I sold an Irish bank token of which there are SIX known and mine was tied for finest. It sold for $300. I bought it at a Stack's auction last year for $180. I guess I should have held out for $25,000.

I guess the point is that these pesos are in high demand and only getting more hot.

• Options

@Panda4456 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Mizzou said:

I guess the point is that these pesos are in high demand and only getting more hot.

They are hot. But I still think comparisons to Morgan $s is silly. Different set of collectors. Obviously. Or the price would be even higher.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2020 7:12PM

@Mizzou said:

I'm sure this helps as it's much lower than say classic commems.

The other thing is that only a few USPI coins have gorgeous color.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Mizzou said:

I'm sure this helps ass it's much lower than say classic commems.

That is true. A lot of dipped examples or just unattractive toning. I snapped this 20 centavos example precisely because it had better color.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2020 7:19PM

@TurtleCat said:

@Zoins said:

@Mizzou said:

I'm sure this helps ass it's much lower than say classic commems.

That is true. A lot of dipped examples or just unattractive toning. I snapped this 20 centavos example precisely because it had better color.

That's gorgeous! Congrats on picking it up!

Justin had a beautiful green peso on eBay a while back but it's gone and I can't find any photos of it anymore. I wonder if he keeps photos of his past sales?

• Options
    edited November 19, 2020 10:44PM

jmlanzaf... your constant belittling (now comparing them to Australian bullion coins and Irish bank tokens) of the USPI Peso coins is not appreciated by me at least. You made your point (about 5x now) regarding the Morgans. I respectfully disagreed. Move on please. Wondercoin.

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

The real McCoy high mint state examples of USPI One Peso coins are real treasures IMHO. I've always loved the design and back in 1988 I actually attended a coin show in Manila (Rudy Christians put it on. He was the originator of the past Santa Clara shows) and wanted to buy all the true BU USPI
    One Peso coins. I only found one- a snow white 1910-S that looked like it came out of an original roll. It later graded PCGS MS64+. I bought other Pesos that I considered as sliders but got graded by PCGS during the past two years as MS62's (like 1884-S Morgans).

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2020 3:54AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    They are hot. But I still think comparisons to Morgan $s is silly. Different set of collectors. Obviously. Or the price would be even higher.

I'm not sure why you think the comparison is silly, the U.S. Philippine Peso's were struck on Morgan / Peace dollar planchets at San Francisco and Philadelphia right here in the United States. Seems like they have a lot in common.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    jmlanzaf... your constant belittling (now comparing them to Australian bullion coins and Irish bank tokens) of the USPI Peso coins is not appreciated by me at least. You made your point (about 5x now) regarding the Morgans. I respectfully disagreed. Move on please. Wondercoin.

That is not a comparison of the coins or series. It was an illustration of the difference between absolute supply and supply relative to demand.

• Options

Well I guess the more haters there are the cheaper I get these beautiful coins 😃

• Options

@Mizzou said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I'm not sure why you think the comparison is silly, the U.S. Philippine Peso's were struck on Morgan dollar planchets at San Francisco and Philadelphia right here in the United States. Seems like they have a lot in common.

Maybe silly is the wrong word. I'm not even really talking about the coins themselves. It just seems that the argument is that the USPI coins are underpriced or underrated because they are cheaper than the corresponding Morgan $s. To me, that is simply evidence that there are fewer USPI collectors than Morgan $ collectors. Supply alone is never the issue - as I attempted to illustrate with my reference to a couple coins with similar or lower supply.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    There's a lot of history with the US and the Philippines.

1917-S US Filipinas - 10 Centavos - Broadstruck Error

I have a 1966 error.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for your contributions to this discussion, very interesting and thanks for posting the pics of those awesome coins, I am "working" on a us-phil's type set, probably will never get done....oh well

• Options

@rln_14 said:
    Thanks everyone for your contributions to this discussion, very interesting and thanks for posting the pics of those awesome coins, I am "working" on a us-phil's type set, probably will never get done....oh well

Same here. I’m halfway through a registry set of business strikes and I’m nearly in last place. Lol. It gets expensive after a while and trying to find nice examples is a challenge.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2020 9:20AM

@TurtleCat said:\
    @coinsarefun said:

@Zoins said:

I have a 1966 error.

Great coin Stef! I love it!

To some extent I think the 1958-1966 Philippines coins should be collected with the USPI coins as they are a continuation in terms of design and denomination.

In 1967 they switched designs and changed denomination from Centavos to Sentimos.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@coinsarefun said:

@Zoins said:

I have a 1966 error.

To some extent I think the 1958-1966 Philippines coins should be collected with the USPI coins as they are a continuation in terms of design and denomination.

In 1967 they switched designs and changed denomination from Centavos to Sentimos.

Even the 1947 s peso isn’t with the uspi set which I disagree with.

• Options

@Panda4456 said:

@Zoins said:

@coinsarefun said:

@Zoins said:

I have a 1966 error.

It's certainly honors a great American and is nice to go with the set.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Panda4456 said:

@Zoins said:

@coinsarefun said:

@Zoins said:

I have a 1966 error.

I have an ms64 example. It’s a nice affordable coin to own and only 100,000 mintage I believe!

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Panda4456 said:

@Zoins said:

@coinsarefun said:

@Zoins said:

I have a 1966 error.

It is a great looking coin. I had a beautiful rainbow monster I bought off of Clankeye here years ago. I ended up selling it several years later. Wish I had kept it...

• Options
    edited November 21, 2020 11:04AM

The 1947-S Peso and 50 Centavos can often be found in two-coin sets, many still in plastic and paper keepsake holders. The paper imparts awesome rainbow toning over time. I bought this coin below raw in such a holder... now PCGS MS66. This is the DDO variety for the 50 Centavos, actually, which is apparent around MacArthur's nose.

For the record:
    1898-1902 US Military government - after Spanish-American War, overlaps slightly with:
    1901-1935 USPI era - territorial government of the United States
    1935-1946 Commonwealth of the Philippines (still US semi-autonomous control)
    1946- Philippine Republic (independent of US)

So this is why the 1903-1945 coins are considered the USPI series, where 1947 and later issues are not. As for those later issues, many were still coined in the US under contract to the new Philippines government - the Manila Mint was destroyed during WWII, but Philadelphia and San Francisco coined the Republic coinage from 1947-1963 and again (along with Denver in some cases) from 1967-1976. 1962-63 Pesos + all 1964-66 + 1975 coins were produced in Europe.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2020 11:07AM

@mvs7 said:

@Zoins said:

@mvs7 said:
    The main series I collect are "world" coins minted by US Mints (link below), of which the USPI series coins account for 173 out of the 1,090 total coins in the set!

It's interesting to classify these as "world" coins.

I consider them to be US coins, as does PCGS (in CoinFacts).

Why do you classify these as "world" coins? Is it because the Philippines are no longer part of the US today?

The first important reference on this series, Foreign Coins Struck at United States Mints, by Altz and Barton, Whitman, 1964, included the USPI coins as "foreign coins" because that's how the US Mint categorized them. Here's an excerpt from the US Mint Director's report (this one as imaged is from the report, Domestic and Foreign Coins Manufactured by Mints of the United States 1793-1980, in the foreign coins section, pp. 134-135). Interestingly, Altz/Barton followed the mint's convention of excluding Manila Mint issues, as the US Mint at the time also didn't consider that a legitimate US Mint. Thinking on that has evolved over time so that those issues, including the group produced at Manila for the Culion Leper Colony, are now included in the 173-coin count and in PCGS' 1,090-item set composite as linked below.

Great info!

In what years total did the US Mint strike coins for the Philippines?

• Options
    edited November 21, 2020 11:14AM

@mvs7 said:
    The 1947-S Peso and 50 Centavos can often be found in two-coin sets, many still in plastic and paper keepsake holders. The paper imparts awesome rainbow toning over time. I bought this coin below raw in such a holder... now PCGS MS66. This is the DDO variety for the 50 Centavos, actually, which is apparent around MacArthur's nose.

For the record:
    1898-1902 US Military government - after Spanish-American War, overlaps slightly with:

So this is why the 1903-1945 coins are considered the USPI series, where 1947 and later issues are not. As for those later issues, many were still coined in the US under contract to the new Philippines government - the Manila Mint was destroyed during WWII, but Philadelphia and San Francisco coined the Republic coinage from 1947-1963 and again (along with Denver in some cases) from 1967-1976. 1962-63 Pesos + all 1964-66 + 1975 coins were produced in Europe.

Why were the 1947-S pesos struck in San Francisco when the Philippines had the Manila Mint?

More generally, after the establishment of the Manila Mint in 1920, what coins were struck in the continental US vs. in the Philippines Manila Branch Mint?

• Options
    edited November 21, 2020 11:16AM
  • Options

@Zoins said:

@mvs7 said:

For the record:

Why were the 1947-S pesos struck in San Francisco when the Philippines had the Manila Mint?

Moree generally, after the establishment of the Manila Mint in 1920, what coins were struck in the continental US vs. in the Philippines Manila Branch Mint?

Destroyed in the war as mentioned above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila_Mint

• Options
    edited November 21, 2020 11:15AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@mvs7 said:

For the record:

Moree generally, after the establishment of the Manila Mint in 1920, what coins were struck in the continental US vs. in the Philippines Manila Branch Mint?

Destroyed in the war as mentioned above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila_Mint

Ah yes, that accounts for all the sea salvaged medals and soldiier battle stories of the battles around the branch mint.

It has the distinction of being the only US Mint that was destroyed in war.

• Options

@Zoins said:

More generally, after the establishment of the Manila Mint in 1920, what coins were struck in the continental US vs. in the Philippines Manila Branch Mint?

From 1920 (upon establishment), all coins for the Philippines (through the start of WWII in 1941) were minted at the Manila Mint. There were some cents made in San Francisco earlier in 1920, dated 1920-S, but otherwise coins from 1920-1922 have no mint mark and were coined in Manila. The 'M' mint mark made its debut on 1925 issues. Philly, Denver, and San Francisco coined the 1944-45 issues after the Manila Mint's destruction during the war.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2020 11:18AM

@mvs7 said:

@Zoins said:

From 1920 (upon establishment), all coins for the Philippines (through the start of WWII in 1941) were minted at the Manila Mint. There were some cents made in San Francisco earlier in 1920, dated 1920-S, but otherwise coins from 1920-1922 have no mint mark and were coined in Manila. The 'M' mint mark made its debut on 1925 issues. Philly, Denver, and San Francisco coined the 1944-45 issues after the Manila Mint's destruction during the war.

What about coins after 1945 like Stef's 1966 10 Centavos coin and even through to today?

• Options
    edited November 21, 2020 11:20AM

What about coins after 1945 like Stef's 1966 10 Centavos coin and even through to today?

@mvs7 said:

I don't know about today, but the above gives you through the mid 70's. Franklin Mint also did some of the proofs from 1975 on into the 80s.

• Options

@Zoins, if you want to see which coins were minted by the US and by what mint, click on the link to my set in the signature line and filter by Philippines.

• Options

@mvs7 said:
    @Zoins, if you want to see which coins were minted by the US and by what mint, click on the link to my set in the signature line and filter by Philippines.

That's a great set!

Looks like it ends in 1976. I wonder who made their coins after?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@mvs7 said:

That's a great set!

Looks like it ends in 1976. I wonder who made their coins after?

Thanks!

Cross-referencing Krauss and Wikipedia seems to indicate the Philippines got their own mint up and running in 1978.

Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (from Wikipedia)

The Security Plant Complex, or SPC, was formally established on September 7, 1978 to safeguard the printing, minting, refining, issuance, distribution and durability of coins, banknotes, gold bars, government official receipts, lottery tickets, internal revenue stamps, passports, seaman identification record books, strip stamps, official documents, registration certificates, Torrens titles, treasury warrants, stocks and bonds, government contracts, ration coupons, official ballots, election return forms, checks and other security printing or minting jobs of the Philippine government.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Starting to think my $20 this afternoon was well spent:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss said:

20 dollars is a great deal for that coin!

• Options

I bought a second proof 1903 peso so I am selling the one in the original post if anyone is interested let me know I can send you my eBay link

• Options

@Weiss said:

Better than XF

• Options

My collection of Philippine coins. Please note that the actual colors are off due to my camera settings (?). They are too dark.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2020 8:30AM

Ebay is telling me I need another one:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file