Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

4 or 6.5? What's the grading difference? Please explain.

This is NOT a complaint thread. I want to know what the difference is between these two cards. (Don't say "2.5").
I recently submitted the card that got a 4. Because I only got a 4, for my Registry set, I had to buy a 6.5 that had a very recent similar submit number to replace it.
Now with both cards in hand, all I see is lesser centering on my 4, but much sharper corners, cleaner front, and a much cleaner back.
What am I missing? This will be valuable information for my future card submissions. You are the experts, obviously not me.

Hey Moose! Rocco! Help the Judge find his checkbook, will ya!

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

When in doubt, surface, surface, surface is my usual go to, multiple spider wrinkles could account for a 4. Another possibility, if you requested NQ, is that you could have had a 6 or 7 (OC), but centering prevented anything higher than a 4 for a straight grade.

What is going on with the left leg by the knee on the 4?

FWIW, I don't think the 6.5 should have received the half bump with the extraneous black on the back and not nearly nice enough centering typically associated with the half grades.

• DJJazzBassDJJazzBass Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Thank you very much. Your answers are really appreciated. Exactly the information I needed.
    The surface on the 4 is nicer than the 6.5 as well (using a Loupe), but perhaps it leans more towards the centering.
    Cheers, and stay healthy!

Hey Moose! Rocco! Help the Judge find his checkbook, will ya!
  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a crease on the back on the bottom right near Chicago, Ill. and some kind of print defect under his left leg leaving a white area vs red. Those 2 things popped out at me immediately, and very noticeable just from scans. In hand, there probably would be a few more easily noticeable flaws.

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

Looks like a crease on the back on the bottom right near Chicago, Ill

Yep, this.. if the wrinkle wasn't there you would probably be looking at same 6.5 grade due to the OC / corners of the 4.5.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 5:13PM

The 4 card is well within the centering guidelines for a PSA 6. Guidelines say 80/20 on front, this card is 75/25, maybe even a little better.

That said, the 4 also has a crease on the back.