Home Sports Talk

Brees out with broken ribs and collapsed lung

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Saints are keeping this pretty close to the vest. I dont think they have even put him on IR yet. I heard some on the radio saying he could only be out for a few weeks. Seems like with this type of injury that it could be significantly longer.

Do you think he comes back before the playoffs?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. He should stay on the bench until at least the last half of the last game.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure how long he'll be out, but I can relate to the pain caused by rib injuries. A few years back, I had bruised ribs, and it hurt like crazy. It hurts when you breathe, it hurts when you eat, it hurts just to move around.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

I broke 2 ribs and didn't go in to the doctor for 6 months. The pain was intense and finally got checked. They were not healed after all that time. I don't see how he recovers in a couple weeks and takes more shots.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 7:10AM

It's ironic that Jamas Winston, who was the Bucks quarterback last year, will now be asked to hold them off in the division race. Winston has a lot of talent, but his turnovers with funbles and worse yet, interceptions, have badly hurt his career. If he can keep the interceptions under control, New Orleans will be okay. If he plays like he did for the Bucks last year, the Bucks might pass them.

As for Brees, if he has cracked ribs and a lung issue, I can't see how he will come back this year.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta be done for the season, even if he insists to play in a month they should sit him and let recovery happen.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

the crazy thing is that they sent him in for another drive. In fact, he threw a TD. Now that is a tough player!!!

wow, I have never had broken ribs. didnt realize they are so painful. I also havent heard anything about drew missing the rest of the season. maybe this is a bigger injury than i thought.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I'm not sure how long he'll be out, but I can relate to the pain caused by rib injuries. A few years back, I had bruised ribs, and it hurt like crazy. It hurts when you breathe, it hurts when you eat, it hurts just to move around.

Imagine the pain throwing a football. Yikes!

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@BillJones said:
    It's ironic that Jamas Winston, who was the Bucks quarterback last year, will now be asked to hold them off in the division race. Winston has a lot of talent, but his turnovers with funbles and worse yet, interceptions, have badly hurt his career. If he can keep the interceptions under control, New Orleans will be okay. If he plays like he did for the Bucks last year, the Bucks might pass them.

As for Brees, if he has cracked ribs and a lung issue, I can't see how he will come back this year.

He went to the Saints to get his PHD in how to play QB. His game is a complete 180 compared to Bridgewater who played himself into a starter last season when Brees went down. Now we’ll see if he can do the same. Teams are always looking for starting QB’s. Winston has all the talent in the world but he’s carried the Daniel Jones syndrome too far into his career.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

End of the line. Nothing lasts forever.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems like in recent years guys will play with severe rib and even sometimes lung injuries. Combining a kevlar type vest and the right painkillers/numbing agents.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere Tom Brady is secretly doing a fist pump.

edited November 17, 2020 11:01AM

@perkdog said:

And his BIG fist pump will happen..........during the next Super Bowl victory celebration.

Before the season Brees hinted this might be his last year. Is this the way he goes out.

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:
    Before the season Brees hinted this might be his last year. Is this the way he goes out.

I sure hope not. I would rather have him leave on his own terms. I would understand it though. it is a very dangerous game they play

@2dueces said:

I think it might be, not to get political here but he must have gotten frustrated with the backlash on his flag comments then backtracking on it from the flak he got. I’m sure it left a sour taste in his mouth so I wouldn’t be surprised if he did call it quits, although I feel he can still play at a high level

edited November 19, 2020 7:23AM

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:

And his BIG fist pump will happen..........during the next Super Bowl victory celebration.

Haha I’d love to see it!

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm trying to shake the thought of this being the end of the road for Drew (or the beginning of a fast track to the end), because he's undoubtedly my fav all-around player in the league

He could be back by the playoffs.

@thisistheshow said:

Without him in the lineup for the remainder of the season I doubt the Saints will make the playoffs.

@Hydrant said:

@thisistheshow said:

Without him in the lineup for the remainder of the season I doubt the Saints will make the playoffs.

they went 5-0 without him last year.

Jamies Winston is very capable when he is not throwing picks.

@Hydrant said:

@thisistheshow said:

Making the playoffs and winning a division are so different that it’s scary. A wild card team must win 3 games on the road. Saving factor this this one game is against the NFC East. But having to go to Seattle, Green Bay, Tampa in January is no picnic. This year is the year you need to win the division. I thought that was the road Tampa would face after being swept by the Saints. Now it’s not so sure.

W.C.Fields

I wonder how much of an advantage having homefield gives you this year though. the stands are mostly empty, so I have to think noise will not be a huge issue. possibly field conditions for an outdoor team would give an advantage over a dome team. just not sure

@craig44 said:
    I wonder how much of an advantage having homefield gives you this year though. the stands are mostly empty, so I have to think noise will not be a huge issue. possibly field conditions for an outdoor team would give an advantage over a dome team. just not sure

I do think traveling has a little effect on the team on the road, not as relaxed as the hone team. But your right about the fanfare being totally out of it as far as added stress

I think the Chiefs and Seahawks loose the most out of having homefield

Mr. Brees and his fragile ribs have a decision to make.

I think that Brees might be less motivated to keep after it if not for Brady still playing. I could possibly say the same for Brady. They both want those records.

@thisistheshow said:
    I think that Brees might be less motivated to keep after it if not for Brady still playing. I could possibly say the same for Brady. They both want those records.

You're probably right. Competitive spirit and all.......and money.

It will be interesting to see who ends up with the records in the end. I think drew is 1 1/2 years younger. But Brady says he wants to play till 45. Going to be great!

@craig44 said:
    It will be interesting to see who ends up with the records in the end. I think drew is 1 1/2 years younger. But Brady says he wants to play till 45. Going to be great!

I think Brady’s drive is much more than Brees. I say Brady keeps at it outlasting Brees.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i'm trying to shake the thought of this being the end of the road for Drew (or the beginning of a fast track to the end), because he's undoubtedly my fav all-around player in the league

I thought Trubisky was your favorite?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I think Brady’s drive is much more than Brees. I say Brady keeps at it outlasting Brees.

Brees obviously cannot throw for much distance anymore. But his coach can scheme the offense in such a way that, combined with Brees IQ, lets them win. But Brees definitely wants those records.

i will say that Brees seems to be breaking down faster than brady. missed 5 games last year and who knows how many this year. It is true that Brees has lost his fastball. can only scheme so long if the defense knows they dont need help over the top. everything collapses and things become congested quickly

@craig44 said:
    i will say that Brees seems to be breaking down faster than brady. missed 5 games last year and who knows how many this year. It is true that Brees has lost his fastball. can only scheme so long if the defense knows they dont need help over the top. everything collapses and things become congested quickly

Brady hasn’t taken the hits that most QB’s take. He sees someone close and ducks down. No trying to extend plays. Live for another day. His one major injury came when someone smashed into his knee prompting the rule change.

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:

@craig44 said:

Brady hasn’t taken the hits that most QB’s take. He sees someone close and ducks down. No trying to extend plays. Live for another day. His one major injury came when someone smashed into his knee prompting the rule change.

Oh, I would disagree with this statement. I have seen every Brady start. He hangs in as well as any qb I have seen. In fact, I believe he is 2nd or 3rd all time in sacks. He has taken a lot of hits over the last 20 years

@craig44 said:

@2dueces said:

@craig44 said:

Oh, I would disagree with this statement. I have seen every Brady start. He hangs in as well as any qb I have seen. In fact, I believe he is 2nd or 3rd all time in sacks. He has taken a lot of hits over the last 20 years

I think you are both right. He's taken a ton of sacks. Of course, look at his games played. But he is a master at throwing it away, pocket movement, and going down when the sack is inevitable in a way that minimizes potential for injury.

@craig44 said:

@2dueces said:

@craig44 said:

I didn’t mean he doesn’t get hit. He just has a knack for not taking the big hit. They kinda slide over him at times.

W.C.Fields

news came out yesterday that Brees actually has 11 broken ribs, not 5. He is saying he wants to come back in 3 weeks. That seems crazy to me. only missing 3 weeks with a collapsed lung and 11 broken ribs. I think the team docs need to throw in the white towel and save him from himself. Seems like he could really do some permanent damage if he comes back too soon.

Maybe he suffered some head damage too.

@craig44 said:
    news came out yesterday that Brees actually has 11 broken ribs, not 5. He is saying he wants to come back in 3 weeks. That seems crazy to me. only missing 3 weeks with a collapsed lung and 11 broken ribs. I think the team docs need to throw in the white towel and save him from himself. Seems like he could really do some permanent damage if he comes back too soon.

A lot of times these guys make the decision to play based on whether or not playing can make things worse. With the proper Kevlar vest they can protect the midsection very well.

We just don’t heal as fast as we did at 20. I wish him luck but if the Saints keep winning and the Bucs drop another game or 2 there’s no reason for him to hurry back

W.C.Fields

all i know is that i miss dimeman calling him drew breeze

Hahaha I miss dimeman

@galaxy27 said:

if you like DB, might be a good idea to watch every Saints game in the playoffs because this appears to be it for him. read where he's scheduled to be an analyst for Notre Dame games next season, then he'll ultimately take over for Cris Collinsworth (hallelujah) on SNF

@galaxy27 said:

@galaxy27 said:

if you like DB, might be a good idea to watch every Saints game in the playoffs because this appears to be it for him. read where he's scheduled to be an analyst for Notre Dame games next season, then he'll ultimately take over for Cris Collinsworth (hallelujah) on SNF

I hadnt heard he made it official yet. thats a bummer. I was hoping for him to stick it out for another year or 2

@craig44 said:

@galaxy27 said:

@galaxy27 said:

I hadnt heard he made it official yet. thats a bummer. I was hoping for him to stick it out for another year or 2

i have a feeling that 11 cracked ribs at age 41 has given him a nudge

edited January 7, 2021 9:27AM

Brady will become the all time passing yards leader then retire

@perkdog said:

you dont think he is in until at least 45??

edited January 8, 2021 9:45AM

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

you dont think he is in until at least 45??

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bucs add a year to his deal after this season, making him under contract through age 45.

Edit to add: and this would make sense, considering Brady seems to like to go into a season without it being his last under contract.