Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1971 Topps Baseball Factory Set...Update

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 17, 2020 10:18AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

A coworker has factory sealed (in bricks) baseball sets dating back to 1971. How much would a run of factory sealed sets from the 1970s be worth? Especially interested in hearing what posters think the 1971 set would bring at auction.

mint_only_pls

Comments

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure what you mean by “factory sealed.” I don’t believe Topps produced a “factory sealed” set until 1974.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2020 5:29PM

wasn’t there a 71 baseball subset or mail in contest/winners set that consisted of kids in the same ‘71 design?

granted not a standard set but could be construed as a sealed 71 topps factory set in the grand scheme of things. just not THE set.

little bit of info on the vague set:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181866

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a mail in contest for the kids subset but no factory sealed Topps baseball sets. As Dave said, the first set factory produced by Topps was the 1974 set.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:
    There was a mail in contest for the kids subset but no factory sealed Topps baseball sets. As Dave said, the first set factory produced by Topps was the 1974 set.

for sale or for the masses perhaps. I recall seeing something billed as an executive factory set of 72 maybe 73 many moons ago which was held in a plain white box. maybe a test run done for the upcoming 74 set perhaps. guess it’s splitting hairs on exactly what a factory produced set is. imo, the 71 winners set or any subsequent executive/test set qualify for a factory set.

@blurryface said:

@grote15 said:

for sale or for the masses perhaps. I recall seeing something billed as an executive factory set of 72 maybe 73 many moons ago which was held in a plain white box. maybe a test run done for the upcoming 74 set perhaps. guess it’s splitting hairs on exactly what a factory produced set is. imo, the 71 winners set or any subsequent executive/test set qualify for a factory set.

True, though I'm assuming by factory set the OP is referring to the Topps baseball set and not the cards with kids on them.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited November 2, 2020 6:21PM

@grote15 said:

@blurryface said:

@grote15 said:

True, though I'm assuming by factory set the OP is referring to the Topps baseball set and not the cards with kids on them.

I agree with that which is why I said the 71 terminology “could be construed” as a factory set.

conversely, if I had the widely known ‘ 74 and on factory sets and learned of a 71 baseball factory subset, a couple executive sets I would personally go after them and once completed would refer to the full run from 71 on as factory sets for ease.

Speaking of factory sets, I would bet an unsearched factory sealed 1974 set would approach five figures should one ever surface.

edited November 5, 2020 1:24PM

I would agree with as well. And even step it up a notch and say the 25 card '71 winners set would not. 😉

It could be the sets in question are from a dealer like Renata Galasso, ie hand collated from cut cases/vending boxes and sold to the owner as a set.

edited November 2, 2020 7:04PM

@PaulMaul said:
    It could be the sets in question are from a dealer like Renata Galasso, ie hand collated from cut cases/vending boxes and sold to the owner as a set.

haha! i can agree w this as well. I think we all assume he was implying ”topps” but after going back and reading, “topps” wasn’t specifically mentioned. good catch!

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

Does your coworker have scans or pictures of these sets? Is he seeking your advice on value or is it just something you're curious about?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a friend from college who wants to make a substantial offer for the run of sets.

My female coworker... who is a big baseball fan...started purchasing sets in 1971 apparently from Topps. She would buy two sets each year....one to handle and look at plus another set she left untouched and put away, She told me that they were factory sets in bricks/ I have never seen them but have no reason not to believe her.

mint_only_pls

@mintonlypls said:
    I have a friend from college who wants to make a substantial offer for the run of sets.

My female coworker... who is a big baseball fan...started purchasing sets in 1971 apparently from Topps. She would buy two sets each year....one to handle and look at plus another set she left untouched and put away, She told me that they were factory sets in bricks/ I have never seen them but have no reason not to believe her.

Someone’s recollection from 50 years ago may be less than precise. I don’t believe there would have been any way to buy sets “from Topps” at that time. More likely she bought them from an early dealer like Fritsch or Galasso. Either way, they are likely “untouched” but probably contain many miscut and OC cards. Still very cool sets to have.

As for actual Topps factory sets, the first was in 1974, and I don’t believe it was done again until 1982.

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

friend could be talking about a vending box as opposed to a factory set

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

Topps did not sell factory sets in 1971. I agree with Dave. If these are sets they were not purchased from Topps but from a third party.

edited November 3, 2020 12:38PM

agreed. regardless of verbiage and now that "topps" has been officially named , there would have been zero sets available for sale from them in '71.

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

Though I had never seen them myself, back around 1986 there was a guy in my town who claimed that he had complete sets back to 1955 that he bought for his son from someone at Topps Company. He called them "bricks". Unfortunately, I never got to see the sets.

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering if these 1970's cards were Topps presentation sets?

https://robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2009/spring/789/1963-topps-presentation-box-collection/

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

it's probably a vending box. If so, a 1971 baseball vending box that was untouched would fetch good money.

edited November 5, 2020 1:20PM

@Ironmanfan said:
    I'm wondering if these 1970's cards were Topps presentation sets?

https://robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2009/spring/789/1963-topps-presentation-box-collection/

IMF

these are exactly what i was referring to above as an "executive set". obviously they could be called a "factory set", i would think.

not sure what the official "hobby term" is for them but if i recall these type of sets go as far back as '55. i also recall hearing that there was a small distinction in cards found in these sets in which they were slightly glossier and the quality control was far superior to the packed out or vending box cards.

however, just as grote and paulmaul stated previously, they were not made available publicly for purchase. now. if the op's friend has a run of executive sets dating back to '71, then dude can go ahead & march on in to his boss's office, throw up a couple of birds and tell him or her that he's out.

op, i'd love to see some nice pics of what he's actually got individually and/or of the entire run. if you wanna slip me the guys contact info too, that'd be cool as well! >:)

Unfortunately with Covid-19...she is working from home almost exclusively, and I have rarely seen her in the office. I have a collecting friend from college who is interested and willing to make a substantial offer for the sets whether factory or not.

Since 1971...she has purchased two sets each year...one to handle and the other left untouched. She described them as factory sets but I have not seen them. I see no reason not to believe her as we have been coworkers since 1994. She is a big baseball fan and collector. I will ask and try to obtain pictures when I see her next time.

mint_only_pls
    edited November 5, 2020 2:01PM

please do. be excited just to see some good pics of this stuff and nail down just exactly what are we discussing here.

the real question though, is she hot? 😉

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why wait to see her, can't email, no work email??

Federal government job...using government email address for personal business is highly frowned upon.

mint_only_pls
  • 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭

I believe reading that the presentation set cards were cut just a bit smaller than regular Topps cards and are often deemed below min. size by PSA. Has anyone else heard this?

@1966CUDA said:
    I believe reading that the presentation set cards were cut just a bit smaller than regular Topps cards and are often deemed below min. size by PSA. Has anyone else heard this?

that could be the difference too. cant remember exactly where or when, but i remember reading a thread or article where a gentleman knew the exact differences and found a stack of these in a commons box. he seemed well versed in spotting the differences.

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

@1966CUDA said:

Showroom quality with Factory Trim!

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a partial '63 presentation set, and a few '62's too.

Most were indeed min size, as they would trim any uncentered ones using the official Topps cutting devices - so not really trimmed in the common way.

They were pretty glossy too. If I can figure out my old photobucket account, I probably have some pics - I did pull a few 8's and maybe a few 9's but nobody too exciting, IIRC.

Would be a big deal if those the OP references surface. Even unopened/untouched mail order sets are potential treasure troves. The unopened set that PWCC had (that a board member here purchased) was kind of exciting in the same vein.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Lol, these threads are amazing. If “she” had stuff like this you should have already bought them by now instead of running to a message board to post about it.

• BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

@Bosox1976 said:
    I had a partial '63 presentation set, and a few '62's too.

Most were indeed min size, as they would trim any uncentered ones using the official Topps cutting devices - so not really trimmed in the common way.

They were pretty glossy too. If I can figure out my old photobucket account, I probably have some pics - I did pull a few 8's and maybe a few 9's but nobody too exciting, IIRC.

Would be a big deal if those the OP references surface. Even unopened/untouched mail order sets are potential treasure troves. The unopened set that PWCC had (that a board member here purchased) was kind of exciting in the same vein.

Which set was that? Have a link?

Brian

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJY83 said:
    Which set was that? Have a link?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1040281

edited November 6, 2020 5:34PM

I am not interested in baseball card sets...just individual high end vintage baseball cards from the 50s to 70s as well as PSA-7 or better unopened wax packs series designated from the 1960s decade.

My college buddy is very interested in this run of sets, and I originally posted about the 1971 set since it is the most valuable in the run. I was hoping to get an estimate of what a high end set from 1971 would be worth. My friend is offering me a finders fee since I am the middle man so to speak in this potential transaction if she wants to sell to my friend who is willing to make a high five figure offer for her stash of sets.

mint_only_pls
    edited November 6, 2020 5:53PM

not sure if the finders fee is based off of realized price but if they are executive sets mixed w factory sets from ‘74 on, your friend is lowballing yall, imo.

9 years of sets at $10k would be $90k. i bet a 71-73 executive set run would fetch a lot of that, i bet.

again, pics would be nice and if shes working from home, shouldnt be that hard this day and age.

i did notice your verbiage on the ‘71 set has changed from “factory” to “high end”, so this could all be moot at this point anyways and feel like her name is gonna be jenny.

• wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭

Very intriguing thread looking forward to pictures and more detail about the sets.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1966CUDA said:

Yes, I heard narrower than the regular cards.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Federal government job...using government email address for personal business is highly frowned upon.

Lol.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't Al "Mr. Mint" Rosen have some the 'presentation" sets from the 60's in
    his auctions? I kinda remember some write up about them in SCD.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2020 2:27PM

@grote15 said:
    Speaking of factory sets, I would bet an unsearched factory sealed 1974 set would approach five figures should one ever surface.

That's a challenge if you're referring to the boxed sets sold through J.C. Penney. Those had an open top box with a slip cover over it. There's really no way to validate whether the set is truly unsearched or not. It's like validating vending from those years. The best you can do is inspect the card edge pattern and see if there are any signs it's been disturbed.

As for 1971, perhaps they are referring to sets that were bought in the year it was issued from the likes of Fristch or Renata Galasso. I used to think they were factory sets until I learned the difference between a dealer assembled set and true Topps factory sets.

• Again, if these sets are legit why in the world would you spend time posting on a message board about them? Either buy them or get your finders fee or whatever, or don’t.

ive heard govt employees move slow and all, but since crisser is on board today, any luck on some pics?

gonna go out on a limb here and guess "manager at the dmv"?

National Weather Service...no contact yet.

mint_only_pls
  • 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls,

Everyone here is a bigger expert than me, but I did buy the 1976 set that PWCC sold. It was hand collated by 3 vending boxes. They literally put the cards in order right back into one vending box, cut the end off another one of the vending box, taped them together and then sealed the box with brown kraft paper and stored it in a cool dry place. After buying it and opening it I have no reason to believe that story not to be true. That set was highly regarded by PWCC though, and I think the realized price was just as much a product of who was selling it as the set itself. Like others have said, no factory sets were made in 1976 that I'm aware of and it's virtually impossible to prove that something has been sealed since the production year. So, best bet is to get pictures of what she has and post them. If the boxes are not sealed have her carefully get out a few star cards from each set and take pictures of them.

PS - If another set like that PWCC 76 set went up for auction and was highly regarded by a reputable dealer, I'd guess it would go for around 2,000.

Here is a picture of what the set I bought looked like.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman

@76collector said:
    @mintonlypls,

Everyone here is a bigger expert than me, but I did buy the 1976 set that PWCC sold. It was hand collated by 3 vending boxes. They literally put the cards in order right back into one vending box, cut the end off another one of the vending box, taped them together and then sealed the box with brown kraft paper and stored it in a cool dry place. After buying it and opening it I have no reason to believe that story not to be true. That set was highly regarded by PWCC though, and I think the realized price was just as much a product of who was selling it as the set itself. Like others have said, no factory sets were made in 1976 that I'm aware of and it's virtually impossible to prove that something has been sealed since the production year. So, best bet is to get pictures of what she has and post them. If the boxes are not sealed have her carefully get out a few star cards from each set and take pictures of them.

PS - If another set like that PWCC 76 set went up for auction and was highly regarded by a reputable dealer, I'd guess it would go for around 2,000.

Here is a picture of what the set I bought looked like.

Jeff

Jeff, have you graded any cars from that set? Just wondering how you did overall. I recall a lot of the cards looked really sharp.

@grote15,

Hey Tim,

I checked the order and I sent 80 or so of them in to be graded. Mailed it right after the 4th of July, and unfortunately still hasn't even started to be graded yet. In research and ID... So, I'm waiting, but not so patiently, lol. It was a really nice set, so I'm hoping for some good hits.

21925077 10265210 07/13/20 09/09/20 N/A See Details 102 Value 1 - Modern

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:

Good luck, I think you will have some beauties in there!

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    I would agree with as well. And even step it up a notch and say the 25 card '71 winners set would not. 😉

Um, I would suggest not underestimating the 25-card '71 Topps Winners set (19-cards actually, since six cards weren't produced). A complete BVG-graded set sold for $35,579 on 8/6/2020.

collectauctions.net/1971_Topps_Winners_Complete_BVG_Graded_Set__19_-LOT30268.aspx

I finally caught up with my friend here at work. She seemed floored when I said my college friend would be willing to make a substantial offer of $25,000 to $50,000 for her sets. She still needs to discuss with her husband and will take a few pictures for me.

Is $25,000 to $50,000 a fair offer? She stated they were put away and not handled since the year of issuance.

mint_only_pls
    edited November 17, 2020 11:03AM

@mintonlypls said:
    if she wants to sell to my friend who is willing to make a high five figure offer for her stash of sets.

hard to say what's fair when we can't see what we are bidding on.

but thought you said the college buddy was making a high 5 figure offer?

$25-$50k by all accounts is a numerically low to mid figure offer. this is coming after your verbiage changed from "factory" sets to "high end" sets.

bluntly, until you know exactly what we are talking about or can provide some pics, it's gonna be very hard for anyone to provide you w/ a quote here.

Sure man. Seems fair. Very few variables could make any difference here, and the difference between 25 and $50, 000 is peanuts as well. Tell them both that the board approved the deal. ;)

Collecting: