Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1971 Topps Baseball Factory Set...Update

2»

Comments

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Speaking of factory sets, I would bet an unsearched factory sealed 1974 set would approach five figures should one ever surface.

https://thesportsauctioncompany.com/1974_Topps_Baseball_Complete_Factory_Set__704_Card-LOT395.aspx

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

25-50K is an insanely mind numbingly stupid offer for something that hasn't been identified or looked at. Maybe I missed it, but exactly what years are in this run? 1971-2020?

We also don't really know if these are factory sets, Presentation sets (doubtful), sets put together by a second party who were careful to put in high grade cards, or just hand collated sets.

From what I have heard, you could not buy Presentation sets from Topps. You might be able to get them if you knew someone who worked there.

1976collector discussed a complete set put together by taking the best cards from 3 vending boxes. Wow that's great, but not at all what the OP is talking about.

If these sets were hand collated by a third party and sold as "factory sets", they certainly weren't put together with that kind of care. Back in the 1970's no one even cared about centering or for the most part, quality at all. They just wanted all the cards.

PaulMaul said that, "As for actual Topps factory sets, the first was in 1974, and I don’t believe it was done again until 1982."

The only "factory set" I could find on ebay "sold listings" was a 1978 set that sold for under $200.00. Photos of some of the cards looked real sharp, but off center.

Once you clarify what is actually included here, with some pictures, it will be possible to come up with a estimate.

Here's an answer to your 1971 set value question.

A truly great 1971 set sold recently for $3,000.00 (see link below). This is most likely nicer than any set you could buy in 1971, unless of course it was a presentation set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Topps-hi-grade-complete-set-752-cards-Munson-PSA-7-Garvey-PSA-8-NM-NMMT-/264855819666?hash=item3daaa31592:g:suQAAOSwgwlfVDBL&nma=true&si=f%2F4SA%2B4JfRsFwUIH2sVrhECcZG0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

People come to these boards all the time with questions on value and don't provide photos of the items in question. Please don't expect any answers until you can tell us what this group of sets consists of, and some photos to go with it.

However, in this case (unless by some miracle these ARE presentation sets) there's absolutely no way on earth these cards are worth anything near 25K.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:

@grote15 said:
    Speaking of factory sets, I would bet an unsearched factory sealed 1974 set would approach five figures should one ever surface.

https://thesportsauctioncompany.com/1974_Topps_Baseball_Complete_Factory_Set__704_Card-LOT395.aspx

$4,500 is pretty amazing for an EX-MT to NM set. Imagine a truly factory sealed or untouched one!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 12:00PM

@JoeBanzai said:
    25-50K is an insanely mind numbingly stupid offer for something that hasn't been identified or looked at. Maybe I missed it, but exactly what years are in this run? 1971-2020?

We also don't really know if these are factory sets, Presentation sets (doubtful), sets put together by a second party who were careful to put in high grade cards, or just hand collated sets.

From what I have heard, you could not buy Presentation sets from Topps. You might be able to get them if you knew someone who worked there.

1976collector discussed a complete set put together by taking the best cards from 3 vending boxes. Wow that's great, but not at all what the OP is talking about.

If these sets were hand collated by a third party and sold as "factory sets", they certainly weren't put together with that kind of care. Back in the 1970's no one even cared about centering or for the most part, quality at all. They just wanted all the cards.

PaulMaul said that, "As for actual Topps factory sets, the first was in 1974, and I don’t believe it was done again until 1982."

The only "factory set" I could find on ebay "sold listings" was a 1978 set that sold for under $200.00. Photos of some of the cards looked real sharp, but off center.

Once you clarify what is actually included here, with some pictures, it will be possible to come up with a estimate.

A truly great 1971 set sold recently for $3,000.00 (see link below). This is most likely nicer than any set you could buy in 1971, unless of course it was a presentation set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Topps-hi-grade-complete-set-752-cards-Munson-PSA-7-Garvey-PSA-8-NM-NMMT-/264855819666?hash=item3daaa31592:g:suQAAOSwgwlfVDBL&nma=true&si=f%2F4SA%2B4JfRsFwUIH2sVrhECcZG0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

People come to these boards all the time with questions on value and don't provide photos of the items in question. Please don't expect any answers until you can tell us what this group of sets consists of, and some photos to go with it.

However, in this case (unless by some miracle these ARE presentation sets) there's absolutely no way on earth these cards are worth anything near 25K.

Topps produced factory sets for retail sale for the first time in 1974. Here is a link to one that recently sold in EX-MT to NM condition for $4,400:

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    $4,500 is pretty amazing for an EX-MT to NM set. Imagine a truly factory sealed or untouched one!

The auction lot detail description doesn't mention that the box is sealed, but they do imply untouched. Only the outer box (not the set) is described as EX-MT to NM (which obviously doesn't bode well for the cards) and it also says the box has never been opened (very difficult to prove).

From the auction house description:
    "The slipcase collage display box (similar to the 1974 Wax box) grades EX-MT to NM with minor edge wear."

"This box has never been opened and displays beautifully."

• Options

@grote15 said:

@beachbumcollecting said:

@grote15 said:

does such a thing exist as produced? From what I can tell the end of the box opens from the top and the 2 side tabs open left and right. was the outer end panel attached to the side tabs? If not then there is no such thing as a factory sealed set and there is no way one could ever be proven as untouched.

I have not owned one of these so curious from anyone who has if there is residue on the side flaps as that would be the determining factor

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please have your friend make me an offer for my sets!!? Ill tell you whatever you want to hear. There could be anything in there! I just know they are amazing and loved by many.
    1971-1990 sets Maybe a Gem Mantle Rookie???
    Offer away please
    Once you open no refunds though as that will decrease the value

• Options
    edited November 17, 2020 12:30PM

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Topps produced factory sets for retail sale for the first time in 1974. Here is a link to one that recently sold in EX-MT to NM condition for $4,400:

Thank you!

Seems like a lot of money for an unsealed box of cards. We have now seen an actual factory set. Maybe the OP will provide us some pictures soon!

I'll bet the sets were never sealed.

edited to add; No factory sets after this until 1982?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ those do look high end but definitely not factory sealed! :)

• Options

That set is LOADED with star cards!

• Options

i remember a listing where a guy cut out the '62 mantle and had it titled as a rare '62 mini test set card that naturally he found in a house he had purchased. even guaranteed it to be a 100% authentic card from topps. even had NOT a reprint but only had 1 pic of the front. a lot of truths in the listing, but...

• Options

I have two of the 74 factory sets. One that I went thru and one that i havent. It is correct that they slide into a sleeve. The set that I went thru seemed to have brighter green backs than other 74s and nice color on the front. If my memory serves me correctly I believe they were from Sears. They are packed away but maybe I can get to them when time permits and take some photos. 74s were my first year opening packs and I had the #1 74 PSA registry set the first year PSA started doing that. I probably wouldn’t be in the top 50 all time now but it was fun.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

867-5309

• Options

Show a little respect. You might learn something

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

In the original post it was stated that "she" bought two sets each year and put one away. And was a big baseball fan. Now she has no knowledge of their value after opening one set each year from 1971 to 1982. Must ask her husband? She has enough know how to save an un-opened set for 13 years and now doesn' know if their worth 25, 000 to 50,000 dollars? I do not think she has any sets , and she just backed herself into a corner. I bet she says that her husband refuses to sell at any cost and you will never see any sets. But I have been wrong before.

• Options

@Dgofwinter said:
    I have two of the 74 factory sets. One that I went thru and one that i havent. It is correct that they slide into a sleeve. The set that I went thru seemed to have brighter green backs than other 74s and nice color on the front. If my memory serves me correctly I believe they were from Sears. They are packed away but maybe I can get to them when time permits and take some photos. 74s were my first year opening packs and I had the #1 74 PSA registry set the first year PSA started doing that. I probably wouldn’t be in the top 50 all time now but it was fun.

I do believe Sears sold sets of baseball cards at one time. Not sure of the year.

Would love to see a photo!

@1959 said:
    In the original post it was stated that "she" bought two sets each year and put one away. And was a big baseball fan. Now she has no knowledge of their value after opening one set each year from 1971 to 1982. Must ask her husband? She has enough know how to save an un-opened set for 13 years and now doesn' know if their worth 25, 000 to 50,000 dollars? I do not think she has any sets , and she just backed herself into a corner. I bet she says that her husband refuses to sell at any cost and you will never see any sets. But I have been wrong before.

"She" might not even exist. Did it even say somewhere it was 1971 to 1982? IF she stopped buying sets in 1982, she might not have any idea of their value.

There really hasn't been any evidence of anything, and I doubt there will be.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    "She" might not even exist. Did it even say somewhere it was 1971 to 1982? IF she stopped buying sets in 1982, she might not have any idea of their value.

To question what sets may or may not exist from this woman is fair at this point without much dialogue so far and no pictures. The person who started this thread (Monte) is a respected board member and the woman is his co worker, not someone who came here trolling us.

To question what she has is fair, but to question her existence seems out of line.

• Options

@nam812 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

To question what sets may or may not exist from this woman is fair at this point without much dialogue so far and no pictures. The person who started this thread (Monte) is a respected board member and the woman is his co worker, not someone who came here trolling us.

To question what she has is fair, but to question her existence seems out of line.

I was poking fun at 1959's comments. Wasn't trying to call Monte a liar. Sorry Monte if you took offense.

Too many unanswered questions for now.

• Options

perhaps monte was just a little premature on posting this thread w/o really any hard core details on what actually exists. i believe weather worker exists, but several key elements of exactly what she may or may not have has changed dramatically. new husband approval has also been introduced.

the part i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is she is stuck at home all day due to covid restrictions which would give her ample time to take pics. she doesn't even need her govt email. a simple text or even a drive by could suffice.

circling back later asking for our thoughts on a price tag w/o any new pertinent information or pics just seems odd, imo.

she may just be trolling him, painted herself into a corner during water cooler talks or perhaps a lil office crush perhaps knowing he's into cards?

but i agree w nam. i don't think monte would just be fabricating the infamous jenny outta thin air.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yankeeno7 said:
    Though I had never seen them myself, back around 1986 there was a guy in my town who claimed that he had complete sets back to 1955 that he bought for his son from someone at Topps Company. He called them "bricks". Unfortunately, I never got to see the sets.

I have a similar story - man I knew around 1989 claimed to have a Topps BB “factory set” from 1957. I had no reason to doubt him.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few comments:

Topps stopped producing 'Presentation sets' in 1963. I called the auction company about the '74 factory set and asked them some questions related to how they knew the set was untouched. I didn't get any assurance they knew outside of the card pattern seeming factory original. Any half skilled person can go through a vending box or factory set, pull the key cards, and keep the factory pattern. That's why BBCE stopped authenticating vending unless they are sealed in a case or from the Fritsch vault (which also isn't a guarantee the cards were untouched).

• Options

@gemint said:
    A few comments:

Topps stopped producing 'Presentation sets' in 1963. I called the auction company about the '74 factory set and asked them some questions related to how they knew the set was untouched. I didn't get any assurance they knew outside of the card pattern seeming factory original. Any half skilled person can go through a vending box or factory set, pull the key cards, and keep the factory pattern. That's why BBCE stopped authenticating vending unless they are sealed in a case or from the Fritsch vault (which also isn't a guarantee the cards were untouched).

Well then that leaves out the presentation possibility. :-)

• Options

I totally believe Monte, I just think that his friend does not have the sets. or at least the ones she said she has. I hope I'm wrong.

• Options

By the way 1959, I hope you weren't offended by my smart a$$ remarks. ;-)

• Options

Not at all. I just think that someone who collected card sets 49 years ago might have a memory close to my wife, and it may be slightly fuzzy. No intentional deception.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 9:16PM

First...my intention has not been to lead anyone on or deceive anyone. I was just sharing information on a collection which I thought was very unique in that someone had the foresight to buy two sets starting in 1971 and putting one away w/o handling it.

Knowing now that Topps didn't produce factory sets (apparently only in 1974 based on info in this thread), I think she has hand collated sets in year of issuance...possibly from vending. However...the run of sets from 1971 forward are likely in outstanding condition (from a handling standpoint) since she put one set away each year and did not handle them. The only question then is production quality...off-centering, print defects, registration, etc. Corners are most likely very sharp on the cards in the set and no doubt some...possibly a majority were produced flawlessly.

Like everyone else...I am looking forward to seeing a few pictures which I requested she take and she agreed to provide.

Personally...I am not into sets and have no desire to acquire an Angel Bravo, Jimmy Qualls, or Woody Woodward to name a few colorful names from that era. I love the hobby for what it is or should be...fun collecting individual vintage cards and unopened wax packs from my childhood decade...the 1960s. My college friend is into sets and would like to make a fair substantial offer if this collection of sets is in outstanding condition. Both are friends of mine, and I would like a fair deal for each.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020 2:59PM

Thank you for explaining that Mintonlypls. My prediction is that both of your friends will be disappointed. While I hope they are nice sets, they probably won't be of the "gem mint" quality that your potential buyer friend is hoping for.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

You have not mislead or deceived anyone. I agree with dontippet. Hope it turns out well.

• Options

TTT for inquiring minds.

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

A few years ago BBCE brought a wrapped factory set to the National. As soon as I saw the booth photo, I reached out to Steve, but it was already sold. Believe the price was between $1000 and $1500. Sigh.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2020 10:23AM

She does not want to sell...sorry no need for pictures then.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

offer her 1,000,000.00 but you need to see pics of course before buying.

• Options

@mintonlypls said:
    She does not want to sell...sorry no need for pictures then.

She should take pictures for insurance purposes regardless.