Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Half Dollar Questions

I've been CRH half dollars and haven't found any silver here in NC, my bank uses Brinks for their coins. I used to find a ton of it in FL but since I moved here not so much.

My questions are:
1) Am I wasting my time looking for silver half dollars from my bank boxes? Is it the area I'm in or is it Brinks?
2) What do I do with No FG's and weak FG's?
3) Does anyone actually want 2002-2020 Half Dollars, I've been putting them off to the side and I'm starting to wonder why?

Again I'm new here so any input or feed back is welcome.

Thanks
Anthony

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good questions.

I have heard that coin processors can set their equipment to reject (keep) silver. No idea if Brinks does this. If might just be that in NC there are fewer retirees dumping old coins.

Legitimate no FGs might be marketable, but I imagine that weak FGs are not.

I also suspect that the newer halves are just spending money.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2020 10:13AM

Kennedys are one of my favorite coins. You mentioned the more recent Kennedys. Those are not distributed in the public, (NFIC), or Not Found In Circulation, Only by the Mint and/or in Mint sets. I believe this started in 2002? So if you find one, these are not common to find. Worth holding on to. Esp. in great condition. As for the missing "FG" initials. These too can be worth a small premium. One of the Kings of the missing FG's is the 1966 SMS Kennedy, BIG Premium. also, the 1972 and a couple more. Even stated in the Cherry Pickers' Guide. Then finally, Many, Many Kennedys have the Double Die Variety. Even a Triple Die in a few! I love collecting these not so common Half Dollars. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I finished looking through 2k in Kennedy halves a couple months back ... found 0ne 1968 D.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    You mentioned the more recent Kennedys. Those are not distributed in the public, (NFIC), or Not Found In Circulation, Only by the Mint and/or in Mint sets. I believe this started in 2002? So if you find one, these are not common to find. Worth holding on to. Esp. in great condition.

Just to clarify, what makes them "worth holding onto"?

I agree that they are not common to find, but since they were not made for circulation the ones found in rolls are impaired and will always be the least desirable examples.

The ones in mint sets or in mint bags/rolls are the ones people might want for their collections.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2020 12:45PM

@JBK said:

Just to clarify, what makes them "worth holding onto"?

I agree that they are not common to find, but since they were not made for circulation the ones found in rolls are impaired and will always be the least desirable examples.

The ones in mint sets or in mint bags/rolls are the ones people might want for their collections.

Yeah, like I mentioned. Only the well conditioned NFIC ones might be worth holding onto? For maybe album fillers or Ebay sales, yard sales, coin shows...?
    Example: 2005p's, According to PCGS Price Guide, In a ms67 They have prices of $300-$400. 67's are not too far fetched.
    Here is one I recently found at a Pawn Shop. 1966 "Double Die Obv. Profile

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    JTHawaiiJTHawaii Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

NIFC - Not intended for circulation. I bought a date run of 2002 to 2018 off eBay to fill my album for about $1 each so there was a little premium but after fees and shipping, I don’t know if it was much profit for the seller. I was tired searching as halves are a little harder to get here.

Successful BST Transactions With: AUandAG, SurfinxHI, tightbudget, dmarks, jfoot13, jimineez1, PerryHall, rte592, cucamongacoin, Flackthat, robkool, Walkerguy21D, pruebas, KJB, LukeMarshall, 1630Boston, chumley, privatecoin, Histman, SullyFan2, al410, mcarney1173, Coinflip, mbogoman, dm679864, commoncents05, scooter25

• Options
    Abbc10Abbc10 Posts: 61 ✭✭

@JTHawaii said:
    NIFC - Not intended for circulation. I bought a date run of 2002 to 2018 off eBay to fill my album for about $1 each so there was a little premium but after fees and shipping, I don’t know if it was much profit for the seller. I was tired searching as halves are a little harder to get here.

I'd gladly sell them for $1 each, maybe you want to start a new album???? haha

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

there are mint rolls of the NFIC that can be bought for those years.

inspect the NFIC for any gradable ones and toss the rest.

weak FGs are nothing. toss them.

I've been able to ask what armored car service a bank uses. perhaps you can open accounts at other banks. I try to dump back into the same armored car service. Now, if a bank doesn't want to get me coins and they have a different car service, they elect themselves to be a dump bank.

I have received previously searched coins back in other boxes. I know because I marked them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to search rolls of halves... up until about 3-4 years ago... Last find was a 1941 WLH....No particular reason to stop, just drifted on....I should try that again...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Abbc10Abbc10 Posts: 61 ✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    there are mint rolls of the NFIC that can be bought for those years.

inspect the NFIC for any gradable ones and toss the rest.

weak FGs are nothing. toss them.

I've been able to ask what armored car service a bank uses. perhaps you can open accounts at other banks. I try to dump back into the same armored car service. Now, if a bank doesn't want to get me coins and they have a different car service, they elect themselves to be a dump bank.

I have received previously searched coins back in other boxes. I know because I marked them.

Sadly my current bank is so nice, they order the coins they need for the week, let me search them and they want me to return them to them, which is perfect. The only thing I have to special order is half dollars. And this week I ordered 3 boxes of Quarters and she also ordered 3 boxes of quarters so I can find a tall grass. So the bank is great, they just dont seem to have silver.

I may open an account at Wells Fargo as they seem to be nice enough to special order for their customers.

thaks for the input on the NIFC and weak FG's

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sell the 2002-date coins for $1-1.50 at shows to date collectors.
    (When there were shows.....)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file