Home Sports Talk

Thanksgiving 2020 thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's time for our annual Thanksgiving thread! What will you be doing for Thanksgiving? What will you be eating? Who will you be eating with? And most importantly, where will you be watching football?!!

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be eating with my wife's side of the family at lunch, and my side of the family for dinner. Two helpings of the givens!

Around here it is a tradition to buy a big, fat, juicy Butterball turkey, and if you'll notice, it's raised without hormones!

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where i live sometimes ya see some wild turkeys walking around, and each time i see those magnificent large birds of nature i think the same thing...

...Geez i wish i had my shotgun handy.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will be eating with my side, soooo much turkey then collapse into a food coma on the couch to watch the games. I love that there are 3 now. when I was younger there were only the cowboys and lions. love me some football

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@stevek said:
    Where i live sometimes ya see some wild turkeys walking around, and each time i see those magnificent large birds of nature i think the same thing...

Uh, I would have to advise against that steve. These days, turkey's are armed to the teeth, they'll fight back!

edited November 10, 2020 10:28AM

This is going to be a fun thread to work on leading up to Thanksgiving. Do you hear that slurping sound, that's the sound of me licking my chops!

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2020 11:30AM

T-day at the folks new place for grub and games and the dogs all playing together. 5 of us plus 3 doggos.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

In SoCal we're stage 3 Red for Covid.

So I'm as isolated as Ted Kaczynski.

edited November 11, 2020 4:43AM

I'm going to work this thread until Thanksgiving. Check out the Patriots digging into some grub after a turkey day victory!

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I'm going to work this thread until Thanksgiving. Check out the Patriots digging into some grub after a turkey day victory!

I actually couldn't remember who 28 was. I was stumped before I looked him up. Guess I have blocked some memories from the "in between years". 😂😂😜

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I actually couldn't remember who 28 was. I was stumped before I looked him up. Guess I have blocked some memories from the "in between years". 😂😂😜

I love the way number 75 is digging right in!

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I love the way number 75 is digging right in!

I definitely miss Wilfork. Big guy who could make big plays.

Here's a little something for 2dueces, his Bills embarrassed the Cowboys last year IN DALLAS!

Jerry Jones sure regretted not picking Randy Moss on that day.

I remember one Thanksgiving, I tried this garlic chicken dish my in-laws made, and my stomach was upset for days. Never again!

Bad chicken, bad chicken, mess you up!

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Saw one out back just last week! we very rarely get them around us, but I think this one was trying to hide.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in California. Thanksgiving has been cancelled here. Otherwise, what will I be doing on Thanksgiving? The same as I've always done. The big shots in Sacramento can stuff it up their turkey.

A little something John Madden likes to call the "Turducken". It is part turkey, part duck, and part chicken.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2020 5:48AM

Wife and I will be with the neighbors, they were kind enough to invite us.
    Food? I kinda pace myself on the turkey, but have a plan to consume mass quantities of pecan and sweet potato pie...well, maybe 2 pieces of each if I can get away with it.

TV? Ahhhhhhhhh, my neighbor has a monster, yes, M-O-N-S-T-E-R eleven foot wide tv.YES, a tad over 132" left to right. It's a projection model, but the pic is crisp and just jaw dropping. Couple this with his 4 theatre seats and you really feel like you're at the movie theatre. The picture is something you could almost fall into. He has a killer sound system, you can feel the bass in the floor. Not sure if we'll be doing the tv, but its his toy. He likes to say "some people do cocaine, I do tvs". IF we go up to his loft to watch I'll try to get a pic and post it.

In any event, here's wishing you all have a great day, wherever you are and whoever you share the day with.

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Wife and I will be with the neighbors, they were kind enough to invite us.
    Food? I kinda pace myself on the turkey, but have a plan to consume mass quantities of pecan and sweet potato pie...well, maybe 2 pieces of each if I can get away with it.

TV? Ahhhhhhhhh, my neighbor has a monster, yes, M-O-N-S-T-E-R eleven foot wide tv.YES, a tad over 120" left to right. It's a projection model, but the pic is crisp and just jaw dropping. Couple this with his 4 theatre seats and you really feel like you're at the movie theatre. The picture is something you could almost fall into. He has a killer sound system, you can feel the bass in the floor. Not sure if we'll be doing the tv, but its his toy. He likes to say "some people do cocaine, I do tvs". IF we go up to his loft to watch I'll try to get a pic and post it.

In any event, here's wishing you all have a great day, wherever you are and whoever you share the day with.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

15 of them slept on the ridge of my garage last night they were probably waiting for me to change the litterboxes :#

@JRR300 said:

@stevek said:

Saw one out back just last week! we very rarely get them around us, but I think this one was trying to hide.

They of course will gravitate to a food source.

Some folks in my neighborhood always put food out in the morning for the turkeys, and sometimes there's around five or ten of them in a particular yard at one time.

I guess to them it's turkey heaven - easy access good tasty food they don't have to work for. LOL

edited November 19, 2020 4:10AM

@stevek said:

@JRR300 said:

@stevek said:

They of course will gravitate to a food source.

Some folks in my neighborhood always put food out in the morning for the turkeys, and sometimes there's around five or ten of them in a particular yard at one time.

I guess to them it's turkey heaven - easy access good tasty food they don't have to work for. LOL

I would leave the turkey's one bowl of Kibbles 'n Bits and some water outside. If they don't like that, then they can just go back to the woods!

Yes, I just checked and Wal-Mart doesn't have cornbread dressing again this year. We'll have to eat Stove Top stuffing. I can't believe this.

edited November 19, 2020 12:38PM

I can't eat buttered buns without cornbread dressing!

edited November 19, 2020 3:16PM

Last Thanksgiving, I had to bake a turkey, dutch apple pie, and yeast rolls. I was walking around the kitchen the whole day. Do you know what it's like to get a leg cramp from baking? I seriously doubt it!

edited November 21, 2020 4:32AM

THANKSGIVING UPDATE: It is 6:32 a.m. and I am about to go to Wal-Mart to pick up the following items for Thanksgiving:

I don't know why I even bother to buy all of this food, because this Thanksgiving will end just like all of the others, with me showing up at the dinner table drunk, wearing a Santa hat and embarrassing everyone.

In all seriousness, if anyone reading this is yet to buy a turkey and you are willing to pay a little more....go out of our way and find an organic turkey. You won't be disappointed.

edited November 21, 2020 2:31PM

@thisistheshow said:
    In all seriousness, if anyone reading this is yet to buy a turkey and you are willing to pay a little more....go out of our way and find an organic turkey. You won't be disappointed.

Trust me, no one is reading this thread. I've been talking to myself on this thread for days. 😂😂

🤔

It will soon be time for our annual Christmas thread. I'm looking forward to that. It's the most wonderful time of the year. Of course, being the cheapskate that I am, I'll do anything to save money this year. And I do mean ANYTHING.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanksgiving is my favorite Holiday. We are having our usual family dinner, and absolutely not listening to the Governor and his stupid directive to not have a large gathering of people. Menu is as follows Turkey, Sausage Stuffing, Stove Top Stuffing ( Yes 2 Stuffings ) Mashed, Corn, Peas, Squash, Cranberry Sauce with Cranberries not the molded jelly version, Biscuits, Apple pie, Pumpkin Pie. It’s a big cheat day for me 🦃🍻🇺🇸

😂😂 @perkdog, Hell yeah, that's what I'm talkin bout! 🖒🖒

@doubledragon said:
    😂😂 @perkdog, Hell yeah, that's what I'm talkin bout! 🖒🖒

We are always on the same page Double D!! 🍻👍👍

@perkdog, Right on brother! 🍻

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 6:26AM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Double D I am sending you dinner.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wifey had brownies in the oven this morning and sauce in the crock pot to make lasagna to go with all the usual stuff we're having at the folks place.

@jay0791 said:
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Double D I am sending you dinner.

That's the new hybrid bedbug-turkey.

I've never had one, but supposedly the meat is deliciously crunchy.

@Bullsitter said:

That's the feeling I always get whenever I'm in a relationship and the woman says to me, "Steve, we need to talk."

I don't know about bedbugs, but the roaches in my kitchen have established themselves quite well. They're not from the U.S either, they appear to be Turkish. They even have their own embassy on my kitchen floor, and Emir is the roach at the front desk. He's actually pretty friendly.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Yes the bedbug meat is delicious.

and very juicy

of course the juice is your own blood.

The secret is to eat it before it eats you.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 2:28PM

@doubledragon said:
    I don't know about bedbugs, but the roaches in my kitchen have established themselves quite well. They're not from the U.S either, they appear to be Turkish. They even have their own embassy on my kitchen floor, and Emir is the roach at the front desk. He's actually pretty friendly.

I went to reply to this, but then realized that I had absolutely no idea how to respond. So I guess I will just wish @doubledragon, Mrs. DD, Joe Louis and Emir the happiest of Thanksgivings. Same goes with the rest of you. I hope you all have the best possible holiday in the crazy times in which we live!!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

@AFLfan, You have a great Thanksgiving as well buddy, and Happy Thanksgiving to everybody in this great community!

Happy Thanksgiving guys! 🦃🇺🇸🍻

@perkdog said:
    Happy Thanksgiving guys! 🦃🇺🇸🍻

To all of you,
    Hope you and yours are having a great one!!