Home Precious Metals

Best Gold to Stack

chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 9, 2020 11:44AM in Precious Metals

I'd like to slowly start to add more PM gold to my collection. What is the best gold in your opinion to stack? I have a little gold now but it's in collector US type coins. I want to keep those but add to my gold PM position. I'm not talking much but want to get started and add a little every year. I just want to get off on the right foot from the get-go. Any thoughts?

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suggested, when the stimulus checks came out and you helped get the thread poofed with negativity and politics, that it was best , with a free stimulus check. How hard is that, to take free money and make it more money ?

Remember that thread ? You were upset because this country is so great as to send her citizens FREE stackable money.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Remember that thread ? You were upset because this country is so great as to send her citizens FREE stackable money.

And the more FREE stackable money they create the more value your stackable PMs will have. It's a win, win.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

the smaller the AGE, the higher the premium percentage.

True enough, and it depends on your personal budget. For awhile there, I was adding rolls & boxes, but that's not as viable for me now that I'm retired, and also because the metals have jumped in price. Que sera, sera I suppose. ;)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    edited November 8, 2020 1:32PM

The US Mint's American Arts gold series is a fun way to collect quality gold. Premiums are low. These were the min'ts first releases of gold bullion before it began the American Eagle series.

Issued between 1980 and 1984, I prefer the later ones that show gold content and issuing authority. There are one ounce and one half ounce versions available (not of all the issues).

Presidential spouse one half oz 24K gold coins are another way to stack low premium high quality gold.

I've considered a collection of Unc $5 commemorative gold, but I never took the plunge. Now, they may be disappearing into the melt bucket. Interesting times.

I knew it would happen.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

20 francs , sovereigns , 2 1/2 pesos . No one ounce coins too big to sell for cash easily . People on here are always bitching about an extra premium on some fractional but its easily avoided buy dips .

Give me 4 sovereigns instead of a double eagle , I can sell all 4 to one guy or 1 at a time if i want flexibility

Oh no those sovereigns have a 9$ premium why that is 36$ per ounce!!!!!! here come the crocodile tears :'( And yet the same people will happily pay an extra 3$ for an ugly ounce of silver (ASE ) :D do the math on that someone

@jmski52 said:
    I've considered a collection of Unc $5 commemorative gold, but I never took the plunge. Now, they may be disappearing into the melt bucket. Interesting times.

because they are widely viewed as heinous looking garbage coins :D is that why you would collect them? Just sit and wait for each new one to debut , uglier than the last :D

high (and low) premiums work on both sides of the trade. Premiums should not be a determining factor when choosing your flavor.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

ASE's aren't ugly. What is bronc smoking

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

The majority of my gold is U.S. minted coinage and bullion. Bronco makes a good point though. I’ve always considered old world gold a sleeper in the PM world. Most of the Sovereigns, Francs and Pesos I have, I’ve purchased for melt.

@softparade said:

there isn't a world mint anywhere that puts less effort into a coin

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for your responses so far!

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2020 8:44PM

@bronco2078 said:

@softparade said:

there isn't a world mint anywhere that puts less effort into a coin

meh they look cool to me

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think part of it depends on how much you like to look at them, and how you eventually intend to sell them. A collection with variety is more fun and interesting, but kind of awkward to sell quickly. A partial roll quarter ounce AGEs that you add too when you can is boring but very liquid.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

So, I went to Apmex and priced Sovereigns, 1/4 oz AGEs and 1 oz ASEs and calculated the margins.

All things being equal for a quantity = 1, here are the current margins (using Apmex's somewhat dubious spot and/or market pricing):

British Sovereigns @ 5.166% premium

1/4 oz American Gold Eagles @ 15.0% premium

1 oz American Silver Eagles @ 11.52% premium (using bronco's $3 premium).

However, the actual premium for (1) ea. ASE at Apmex is $5.49, thus the actual premium is 24.49%.

Bronco has a very good point on this one. Of course, the market always flip-flops and changes, but these differences are pretty compelling at the moment.

Using the Apmex pricing for (1) ea., you can buy 15.01 ASEs or (1) British Sovereign for $488.39. At a difference in premium of 24.49% minus 5.17% = 19.32%, the cost savings would be .1932 x $488.39 = $94.35 for every British Sovereign purchased instead of 15 ASEs, in effect the equivalent of almost 3 ASEs with each purchase.

I knew it would happen.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@softparade said:

Agree. Only the reverse is ugly. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vertically :)

Collector, occasional seller

I changed the thread title and my original post so all you smart aleks stop posting on how to physically stack the gold! :D

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2020 3:32PM

Best way to stack? Buy on the dip!

Rgds

Edit: sorry misinterpreted the original question. Pre-33 US gold and AGEs. Liquid, liquid, liquid. watch the premiums though.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

@softparade said:

soulless then , it was a great half dollar , my favorite really. So they copy that because on some level they know that the US mint will never produce another good design.

Other world mints are embarrassing us with their design work , we copy something from when our country was still strong or we produce a baseball glove or girl scout dollar.

Why would you buy an ASE when you could buy a kook or koala ? proof like high quality new designs every year shipped in capsules .

there is justification for paying premiums for a new design carefully produced handled carefully .

ASE's and their premiums are fraudulent

If you don't want to pay a premium then there is the 10 oz bar , those are widely available or junk silver also available

You want to stack or collect? get off the fence pick a path and stick with it do one or do the other

There is a lot of fantasizing on this board don't fall for it

stacking is stacking its a beginning and an ending when you buy you need to think about how you are going to sell . don't outsmart yourself on day one make the other guy work a little

Save yourself the aggravation of inventing a new mousetrap buy the thing that sells and sell the thing that people buy

The OP's question is about gold.

@derryb said:
    The OP's question is about gold.

I weighed in on gold and i mentioned the ugly gold ;)

you mentioned ugly gold as well

arts medals and first spouse as i recall are even uglier than the 5$ commems and liked by literally no one

ugly gold?

jumbo shrimp?

@derryb said:
    ugly gold?

jumbo shrimp?

you recommended the 2 hardest kinds of gold to sell , was that a typo or do you have some sort of vendetta towards the OP :D

I recommended them as a low premium play if that is the route the OP chooses to go. The Arts gold appears easy to sell at a decent price as does the gold spouse series.

back of spot after fees and you are selling $2000 items on ebay? What could go wrong ? hard pass .

if you sold 10 that way how many would go missing? every $2000 coin deal gone bad is a -$4000 out of pocket

and nobody here would buy them unless they happened to be a shop owner

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are we talking raw or graded?
    I don't have a Sigma machine so I'm a bit hesitant to stray far from what I know.

• TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Gold commems.
    Gold Spouse

• CuAgAu101CuAgAu101 Posts: 10
    edited November 10, 2020 9:27PM

I would say it's between pre-33, AGE's or the modern commem's in that order; all prices being equal. They have a lot going for them in that they're legal tender, contain U. S. History, and are pretty liquid. The only downside (I consider this mostly trivial) is that none of those options are 24k and for some very few people that may make a difference.

The Hobby of Kings... and All of Us!

• I gotta say bronco & jmski are right on about sovereign's too; the spreads are usually tight and the coins are beautiful. As for variety, they have it in spades. Many different reigns and mintmarks on the face along with that classic petrucci artwork on the obverse.

The Hobby of Kings... and All of Us!

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 20 and 100 Coronas are good buys and nice designs. Still Mexican gold to me is an easy choice. Known everywhere and huge variety in sizes.

I'm a huge fan of low premium gold.

This has been very helpful! Thank you. :)

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't do like me and get a continent collection going...if only there were Antarctica gold I'd have all 7 covered.

I picked up a 1/2 oz. proof AGE today from JM Bullion at a 6% premium. I am happy with that.

@chesterb said:
    I picked up a 1/2 oz. proof AGE today from JM Bullion at a 6% premium. I am happy with that.

just don't make a habit of proof collecting. You will get very annoyed when a buyer pulls out an electron microscope and discovers a tiny scratch then offers you 82% of spot for it :#

• dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Fractional AGE, certified PCGS, BGC in MS or PF69 as close to spot as possible. Have been buying gold that way for years due to so much fake gold out there.

@dennis1219 said:
    Fractional AGE, certified PCGS, BGC in MS or PF69 as close to spot as possible. Have been buying gold that way for years due to so much fake gold out there.

dude pick up a sovereign or 20 franc and you will know if its real. Its the right diameter and the right weight then if its not gold it would have to be way too thick and you would know right away

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@metalmeister said:
    You can buy the $5 modern commems at near melt.

Good idea 🙂

• RedSealsRedSeals Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    best gold to stack is the cheapest gold that you should still have no problem reselling.

That's AGEs for me.

Premiums schmemiums. Dealers, private sellers and buyers seem to hate researching and multiplying 3-4 decimal places to calculate AGW.

Successful BST Transactions with: PerryHall, MrSlider, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Blu62vette, robkool, gowithmygut, coinlieutenant, Downtown1974, MilesWaits, Shrub68, justindan

@RedSeals said:

@derryb said:
    best gold to stack is the cheapest gold that you should still have no problem reselling.

That's AGEs for me.

Premiums schmemiums. Dealers, private sellers and buyers seem to hate researching and multiplying 3-4 decimal places to calculate AGW.

No they don't thats just the line of BS they like to feed everyone when they aren't complaining how much work it is to melt war nickles

@bronco2078 said:

@RedSeals said:

@derryb said:

That's AGEs for me.

No they don't thats just the line of BS they like to feed everyone when they aren't complaining how much work it is to melt war nickles

Have you ever tried to melt 500 ozt of war nickels? What a frigging mess. Nasty alloy that needs to be poured into a properly prepared mold with a torch running over it while pouring at just the right temp. Also, no one should melt war nickels by themselves as no refiner will that nasty heap. And.if they do you'll be paid a fraction of the normal rates.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@RedSeals said:

@derryb said:

That's AGEs for me.

Heh, no doubt. 35% gutter metal, why would anyone even bother?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

@Jinx86 said:

@bronco2078 said:

@RedSeals said:

@derryb said:

That's AGEs for me.

Have you ever tried to melt 500 ozt of war nickels? What a frigging mess. Nasty alloy that needs to be poured into a properly prepared mold with a torch running over it while pouring at just the right temp. Also, no one should melt war nickels by themselves as no refiner will that nasty heap. And.if they do you'll be paid a fraction of the normal rates.

why would you when you can sell them in a sack to the next guy?

I see it as a process issue. I've been at a coin shop and seen a guy walk in in the last week with ten war nickles and guy behind the counter offered 50 cents each. The guy took the deal. 5$ I said sell them to me for $10

He literally said to me melt is $1.30 :D Ok why did you give him 50 cents then mr nickle melter?

Suddenly in the dealers hand they are worth every % of melt even though they are garbage. :D

because overhead :D . This guy has no problem doing that deal with a 5 minute turnaround if it was 90% for some reason and not charging sales tax either but the wheeler dealer would rather hold those 10 nickles for 6 years than part with the turds for less than melt.

Ive seen the same behavior with coins mind you , he will pay a guy 4 bucks for a folder of wheat cents and throw it in the corner for 5 years but if I pick it up he has a 50x glass in his paw and he is looking in every hole .

I've gone in there when bored and expressed interest in stuff I have no intention of buying just to screw with him , he probably spends an hour trying to figure out what was valuable :D