Home Autographs Forum

My Joe Biden Autograph from 1981. POST YOUR JOE BIDEN AUTOGRAPHS HERE

philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 7, 2020 10:54AM in Autographs Forum

Wrote many of the senators as a child. I was interested in free franks; he signed the label to me...

Let's post other Biden autographs here to see what to look for in authentic signatures.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sonewhere I have a bunch from the 1980s. I am hoping at least one or two are real.

I also have a letter from Jill. It ended up in a damp basement for some years but I think I salvaged it in time. :#

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

A letter I found in my files...

edited November 8, 2020 8:01PM

And a signed business card.

@JBK have you rescued all your basement files?

They are out of the basement with hopefully minimal damage, but a signed picture of the Bangles did get some moisture damage to the glossy surface. :/

Still have all of it but jumbled in a move so can't put my hands on them at the moment.

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

This signed 1978 Return Day program from when Joe was re-elected U.S. Senator. I don't have any photo ability at the current time or I would post my autographed copy of his book from a few years ago.

@philographer said:
    A letter I found in my files...

Can I ask how certain you are that Joe signed this letter? I have quite a few signed letters from Joe from years ago but I've always assumed that these were signed for him by a secretary or someone else. Like this one, for example.

edited November 9, 2020 6:38AM

Thanks for posting @ernie11 . Sad letter, very tragic.

I feel 100% confident on the full signature in the first post. Also think it's very uncommon in full legal from.

The others, a little early to tell. Could be secretarial; don't know enough yet. Also not a known autopen pattern or clues of autopen (shakiness).

Signatures on both letters are consistent in some letter shapes. I note the way the "o" in "Joe" is formed with the leading line coming straight down; it starts above the loop at the top of the "o" which leads to the next letter. Things like that we need to look for in in-person signatures to better understand authenticity.

@philographer said:
    Thanks for posting @ernie11 . Sad letter, very tragic.

I feel 100% confident on the full signature in the first post. Also think it's very uncommon in full legal from.

The others, a little early to tell. Could be secretarial; don't know enough yet. Also not a known autopen pattern or clues of autopen (shakiness).

Signatures on both letters are consistent in some letter shapes. I note the way the "o" in "Joe" is formed with the leading line coming straight down; it starts above the loop at the top of the "o" which leads to the next letter. Things like that we need to look for in in-person signatures to better understand authenticity.

With that letter about his wife, were also enclosed what I think are called mass cards. Here they are, if you're curious.

Joe B. used autopens as senator and VP, but so far I don't see any familiar patterns here yet.

A 1973 letter, especially with that content, has a good chance if being legit. I would compare to early Senate examples.

Pulled the following image from https://www.biblio.com/book/promises-keep-biden-joe/d/1353719442

Again, looking at how the "o" in "Joe" is formed--downstroke. Looking online I see a number of examples where this is not so apparent. Signatures do change over time, and can vary from day to day--but these are the types things to look for.

There are other aspects to evaluate, e.g. how the B is formed. Some examples show the B stop after the bottom half of the B is formed. It's disconnected from the "i" in Biden. Others show a continuation to the "i" -- the B loops back into the bottom half of the B before connecting to the "i".

Early days and need to look at many more.

This one pulled from eBay sold listings and does not have the "downstroke o" .

More work to do...

@JBK said:
    Joe B. used autopens as senator and VP, but so far I don't see any familiar patterns here yet.

A 1973 letter, especially with that content, has a good chance if being legit. I would compare to early Senate examples.

I just automatically assumed it wasn't legit, mostly because he no doubt had tons of condolences when his first wife died.
    I worked in his first Senate campaign in Delaware as a teenager. Here is a thank-you letter that is obviously a form letter but signed by someone, again I never considered it as possibly legit because of the volume of letters he would have had to sign.