Home Autographs Forum

My Joe Biden Autograph from 1981. POST YOUR JOE BIDEN AUTOGRAPHS HERE

philographerphilographer Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 7, 2020 9:54AM in Autographs Forum

Wrote many of the senators as a child. I was interested in free franks; he signed the label to me...

Let's post other Biden autographs here to see what to look for in authentic signatures.

Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sonewhere I have a bunch from the 1980s. I am hoping at least one or two are real.

I also have a letter from Jill. It ended up in a damp basement for some years but I think I salvaged it in time. :#

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

A letter I found in my files...

Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

edited November 8, 2020 7:01PM

And a signed business card.

@JBK have you rescued all your basement files?

They are out of the basement with hopefully minimal damage, but a signed picture of the Bangles did get some moisture damage to the glossy surface. :/

Still have all of it but jumbled in a move so can't put my hands on them at the moment.

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭

This signed 1978 Return Day program from when Joe was re-elected U.S. Senator. I don't have any photo ability at the current time or I would post my autographed copy of his book from a few years ago.

@philographer said:
    A letter I found in my files...

Can I ask how certain you are that Joe signed this letter? I have quite a few signed letters from Joe from years ago but I've always assumed that these were signed for him by a secretary or someone else. Like this one, for example.

edited November 9, 2020 5:38AM

Thanks for posting @ernie11 . Sad letter, very tragic.

I feel 100% confident on the full signature in the first post. Also think it's very uncommon in full legal from.

The others, a little early to tell. Could be secretarial; don't know enough yet. Also not a known autopen pattern or clues of autopen (shakiness).

Signatures on both letters are consistent in some letter shapes. I note the way the "o" in "Joe" is formed with the leading line coming straight down; it starts above the loop at the top of the "o" which leads to the next letter. Things like that we need to look for in in-person signatures to better understand authenticity.

@philographer said:
    Thanks for posting @ernie11 . Sad letter, very tragic.

I feel 100% confident on the full signature in the first post. Also think it's very uncommon in full legal from.

The others, a little early to tell. Could be secretarial; don't know enough yet. Also not a known autopen pattern or clues of autopen (shakiness).

Signatures on both letters are consistent in some letter shapes. I note the way the "o" in "Joe" is formed with the leading line coming straight down; it starts above the loop at the top of the "o" which leads to the next letter. Things like that we need to look for in in-person signatures to better understand authenticity.

With that letter about his wife, were also enclosed what I think are called mass cards. Here they are, if you're curious.

Joe B. used autopens as senator and VP, but so far I don't see any familiar patterns here yet.

A 1973 letter, especially with that content, has a good chance if being legit. I would compare to early Senate examples.

Pulled the following image from https://www.biblio.com/book/promises-keep-biden-joe/d/1353719442

Again, looking at how the "o" in "Joe" is formed--downstroke. Looking online I see a number of examples where this is not so apparent. Signatures do change over time, and can vary from day to day--but these are the types things to look for.

There are other aspects to evaluate, e.g. how the B is formed. Some examples show the B stop after the bottom half of the B is formed. It's disconnected from the "i" in Biden. Others show a continuation to the "i" -- the B loops back into the bottom half of the B before connecting to the "i".

Early days and need to look at many more.

This one pulled from eBay sold listings and does not have the "downstroke o" .

More work to do...

@JBK said:
    Joe B. used autopens as senator and VP, but so far I don't see any familiar patterns here yet.

A 1973 letter, especially with that content, has a good chance if being legit. I would compare to early Senate examples.

I just automatically assumed it wasn't legit, mostly because he no doubt had tons of condolences when his first wife died.
    I worked in his first Senate campaign in Delaware as a teenager. Here is a thank-you letter that is obviously a form letter but signed by someone, again I never considered it as possibly legit because of the volume of letters he would have had to sign.