Home Precious Metals

New pickup! 1 oz Gold American Eagle 2020!

Hey guys just wanted to share something that just arrived about 10 minutes ago.

I feel like this coin is underestimated in terms of artistic value as a coin itself.

It seems like most people just see it as bullion even though it’s a very beautiful coin.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. I'm waiting on this one.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• Gam3rBlakeGam3rBlake Posts: 165 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Nice. I'm waiting on this one.

Ooooh I never saw that!

I’m wondering if I should send mine in to PCGS to be graded or not.

I only picked the 2020 coin because 2020 has been an insane year plus due to so many people losing their job I don’t think as many of them will be purchased as in previous years. I mean $2,000 is a lot of money if you’re out of work.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

gold and silver sales are up

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:

I think people who are looking purely for bullion would go for the Buffalo or another .9999 fine gold bullion coin rather than the .9167 American Gold Eagle.

Even though both have 1 oz of pure gold in them.

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gam3rBlake said:

@MsMorrisine said:

I think people who are looking purely for bullion would go for the Buffalo or another .9999 fine gold bullion coin rather than the .9167 American Gold Eagle.

More precious metal in the eagle you get 1 ounce of gold plus free silver.

AGE are as popular as always

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gam3rBlake said:

@MsMorrisine said:

I love both AGEs and buffs, so I would much prefer an AGE over any other .9999 gold piece like a maple leaf for instance.

@djm said:

@Gam3rBlake said:

@MsMorrisine said:

More precious metal in the eagle you get 1 ounce of gold plus free silver.

Oh is it silver? I always thought the extra metal was copper.

I assumed that’s why the Royal Mint’s 1 oz Gold Britannia was more shiny because I thought there was silver in that one vs the less shiny AGE.

If you look at them side by side you will see there is a difference.

@Downtown1974 said:

@Gam3rBlake said:

@MsMorrisine said:

I love both AGEs and buffs, so I would much prefer an AGE over any other .9999 gold piece like a maple leaf for instance.

But why? I mean as an investment does it really matter?

If you discount numismatic value won’t a 1oz Maple Leaf be worth the same as a 1oz Buffalo in terms of melt value? They both melt down into pure gold in equal amounts. The only difference is the design & any potential numismatic value.

@MsMorrisine said:
    AGE are as popular as always

Not according to Wikipedia.

According to Wikipedia AGEs are only being minted at a fraction of the number as AGEs only a decade ago.

https://www.coinnews.net/2020/10/30/gold-dips-0-8-in-october-while-silver-climbs-0-7/

US Mint Bullion Sales in 2020
    United States Mint American Eagle and Buffalo sales in October climbed sharply from September and total significantly higher than a year earlier. In headline comparisons:

American Eagle gold coins increased by 72,000 ounces in October, logging gains of 227.3% from the 22,000 ounces sold in September and 526.1% from the 11,500 ounces sold in October 2019. Year to date American Gold Eagle sales at 709,500 ounces are 410.4% above the 139,000 ounces sold during the same period last year.

American Eagle silver coins rose by 3,397,000 ounces in October, marking increases of 14.8% from September sales of 2,958,500 ounces and 205.9% from the 1,110,500 ounces sold in October 2019. American Silver Eagle sales for the year so far at 24,533,500 coins are 70.4% higher than the 14,400,500 coins sold through the same time last year.

American Buffalo gold coins increased by 19,500 ounces in October compared to 4,500 ounces in September, bringing their year-to-date total to 208,000 ounces. In 2019, September sales of the coins reached 3,000 ounces and their total through the first ten months of last year totaled 55,000 ounces.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gam3rBlake said:

Ease of resale. AGEs and Buffalos can be sold for spot or above. I’ve bought maples and other world gold for melt.

@Downtown1974 said:

@Gam3rBlake said:

Ease of resale. AGEs and Buffalos can be sold for spot or above. I’ve bought maples and other world gold for melt.

I believe you can sell Gold Britannia’s from the Royal Mint over spot as well.

I just don’t understand why the Platinum Eagle has a face value of $100 but the Gold Eagle has a face value of $50 even though Gold is $1900+ an ounce and Platinum is barely half of that.

you must have recently entered "watching pm's"

platinum is rarer than gold and for as long as I can remember was priced over gold. it has only been in the past few years that platinum is in the basement.

it doesn't help that it isn't widely collected and thus has a wide buy-sell spread. also, platinum was once widely used in catalytic converters but now it is palladium.

edited November 3, 2020 5:52PM

@Gam3rBlake said:

unknown. call one of the major sellers and ask what their buy price is then report back to us.

although I will add that in the usa the us mint bullion has much better buyback prices over spot

edited November 3, 2020 6:15PM

@MsMorrisine said:

@Gam3rBlake said:

unknown. call one of the major sellers and ask what their buy price is then report back to us.

although I will add that in the usa the us mint bullion has much better buyback prices over spot

My local coin dealer actually pays $9.99/oz over spot for Britannias, Krugerrands, Gold Eagles, and Chinese Pandas.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

U.S. gold has better liquidity here in the states... Much easier to trade, sell or barter. Cheers, RickO

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one. Now to fill in the previous dates to 1986. Then, as collectors go :blush: .... you can show us the set.

I've tried and failed, on many occasions. ( to do a date run.) You're on the right track :love:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Nice one. Now to fill in the previous dates to 1986. Then, as collectors go :blush: .... you can show us the set.

I've tried and failed, on many occasions. ( to do a date run.) You're on the right track :love:

Yeah right! 😂

1986 - 2019 is 33 years.

33 years x $2,000 per coin is $66,000 dollars! 😳

That’s not even including the fact that many of them will cost more than spot + $100.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gam3rBlake said:
    1986 - 2019 is 33 years.

It should be 34 years but I agree with your point.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold is always nice!