Home Sports Talk

Bo Jackson says he would dominate today's NFL

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bo Jackson says he would probably average 350-400 yds a game if he played in todays game, due to poor tackling.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportscasting.com/bo-jackson-says-he-would-dominate-todays-nfl-id-probably-be-averaging-350-400-yards-a-game/?amp

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I agree with his statement on poor tackling he is out of his mind. The players are way bigger, faster and stronger than when he played. Yea he would still perform at a high level but let’s not get crazy, the game is a little harder now than when he played

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2020 5:05AM

He is out of his mind, at an average of 350 per game, he would rush for 5,600 yards during the regular season. If he averaged 400 per game, he would rush for 6,400 yards a season. With those numbers, he would become the all time rushing leader in about 4 seasons.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you imagine what Jim Brown would do in todays game. His QB would not need to know how to throw the ball. He would only need to know how to hand the ball to Jim.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2020 5:14AM

Interesting, I didn't realize that Bo Jackson only played in 38 NFL games. His entire NFL career was 38 games. This I did not know. I knew he was injured, but for some reason, I thought he played longer than that.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, first off, 400 yards a game is crazy. even Barry sanders in 1988 couldnt average that at Oklahoma.

I agree, Bo would probably dominate todays game just as he did 30 years ago.

I hear all the time that modern players are bigger, faster etc. If one believes in evolution, species do not change that much in such a miniscule period of time. it takes centuries and more to see any appreciable difference. It is not that players are bigger/faster, it is that nutrition/suppliments/training methods are more advanced now. If you took Aaron Donald back in time 30 years, he would not have the combine stats he has now. likewise, if you brought Bo forward 30 years, he would be a bigger, faster version of 1988 Bo.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether or not he will admit to it or even realizes it, he is using hyperbole. But his point makes sense. However, the reality is that if a runner ever started going for 200 plus yard every single game, game plans would have to be put in place to mitigate this. But yes, a back who can break tackles will thrive in today's NFL.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bo was the greatest athlete of our time. Only Jim Thorpe challenges him for greatest athlete of the century. But no, he wouldn’t.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bo is nuts. Derrick Henry is bigger than Bo was. Bo would be a 90-100 yd a game guy.

And Jim Brown? Same thing.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Bo Jackson says he would probably average 350-400 yds a game

i've read some asinine things, but this may take the cake

but for funsies, let's wander off into la-la Bo land for a moment. 350-400. how many carries to get those 350-400? does he average 10 a pop in la-la Bo land? ok fine. so he totes the rock between 35-40 times per game. and he does it for an entire season? ok fine. so he has between 560-640 rushes for 5600-6400 yards.

Bo, i know you were a stud athlete, but carefully put the crack pipe down and never pick it up again

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bo Jackson wasn't durable enough to survive 30 years ago, against the players of today using the techniques they use, he would be over-matched.

I say this to place in context the career of Jim Brown: he never missed a down or a game due to injury during his 10 year career. that is astonishing when you consider his workload. Brown's advantage was that he played bigger than the linebackers of his era.

a closing point --- athletes such as Bo Jackson and Michael Jordan would have been better served if they had kept their focus on a single sport.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bo knows.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bo Jackson is a blow hard who ruined his opportunity for a baseball career because he had to play football. If you have a choice between the two, take baseball because your career will probably be longer and you will make more money. That goes double if you are a running back. Those guys really get beat up and have the shortest football careers.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I think its funny that he made this statement on a show hosted by Prime Time Deion Sanders. A HOFer who was known more for pushing recievers out of bounds more so than his tackling. Lol

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TmbrWolf22 said:
    I think its funny that he made this statement on a show hosted by Prime Time Deion Sanders. A HOFer who was known more for pushing recievers out of bounds more so than his tackling. Lol

I can see the irony there as well.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

He barely lasted 2 seasons playing when linebackers were as big as free safeties today. I think he's playing himself in his video game too much and the thin line between reality and fantasy has been blurred.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.