Home Metal Detecting

Did I make the right choice?

bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad passed a few years ago and I've had his Whites mxt e-series md since then. I only tried it once but It just seemed too be too much work dialing in. I have had a Garrett 1500 for a few years now also. I like it and think its much easier to work. I just recently sold the Whites. Was it the right choice? Was there anything better on the Whites than my Garrett? Just curious.
Bobby

Comments

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I don't detect these days, but still have a Garrett AT Pro in the closet. I first stared out with a Tesoro Cibola and could never get that thing to do much, even though some swear by it. I just swore at it LOL. I did a quick search on Treasurenet and it seems some think (from posts dated 2014) that the AT Pro may have more depth than the 1500 but that the 1500 is still a good machine. I don't use Whites machines, so can't say much about them. If you like the machine you have and it's giving results, that's good proof in the pudding, at least to me.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea I really like the 1500. The pinpoint on it is great. For coins, I usually just have to dig a hole about as wide as a solo cup. I had an older garrett before this one and I found myself digging everything up. Lol Wasn't very good.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 welcome to CU. I have been detecting for 25+ years. First 20 with Whites XLT, Last 5 with Garrett AT Pro. Love the AT Pro, good value,, ground penetration depends on soil type,mineralization, amount of interfering junk, I'm getting 9-10" because deep targets return the right tone but it's fleeting and requires experience. Last year I dug 100+ IHC in one forest plot I call oyster cove because of all the discarded fresh water oyster shells. It was a great run. The hunt continues. C u around. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    @bsshog40 welcome to CU. I have been detecting for 25+ years. First 20 with Whites XLT, Last 5 with Garrett AT Pro. Love the AT Pro, good value,, ground penetration depends on soil type,mineralization, amount of interfering junk, I'm getting 9-10" because deep targets return the right tone but it's fleeting and requires experience. Last year I dug 100+ IHC in one forest plot I call oyster cove because of all the discarded fresh water oyster shells. It was a great run. The hunt continues. C u around. Peace Roy

Hey Roy, I've been detecting for quite a few years myself. It's hard for me to get the time to hunt as much as I'd like to though. It gets hard to find places to dig out here in west Texas. Soo much private land that you don't even know who owns it. Lol All oilfield so they probably don't want any external electronics buzzing around. The wife is gonna get me a Garrett Propointer AT for Christmas. Looking forward to trying that out. Take care my friend!
    Bobby

Yup, gotta have a pinpointer. I'm on my third carrot. Couldn't dig without it. We are graced with a big country. Try researching turn of the century fire insurance maps to locate where old wood structures once stood. I detect everywhere I can get permission. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 .... Good point Roy.... Old fire insurance maps, libraries or town records are all good places to research. When I returned to the town I grew up in, after being away for 45 years, I was amazed at the changes - both in the village and surrounding area. Some fields are now forests....very few empty lots anymore...buildings where there once was the town dump. Change happens... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always wanted a good detector, just not much area to detect where I am. These pinpointers you are talking about, how long do they last? Sounds like you have to replace them often.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23.... Get a good one, Garrett for example...should last for years.... Unless mistreated... For example, do not use it as a digging tool when checking the hole....Cheers, RickO

Garrett's pinpointer is well made. Worth the money cause it finds the coin while you're on your knees. It also has located bits and pieces of gold jewelry where soldered items have come apart. Peace Roy