Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Does PSA use Sub-graders? Odd eBay listing claim...

burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the seller is talking about with this description? I’ve never heard of PSA farming grading out to what sounds like sub-contractors that use different logos/flips. He also mentions that the person sending the card in should have requested a Black Label - as far as I know, that’s a Beckett thing so I suspect this seller is just using inaccurate information while hyping his “perfect” card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402474398791

Additional Note: Notice different PSA logos and emblems, not all graded 10 cards are the same, or perfect for that matter, as many 10 graded cards were not graded by the official PSA company, but passed off to PSA sub-grader, this is where the PSA emblems differ, and not because of a recent re-design of the company logo, or a change in design to the plastic PSA cases, which many people assume is the reason. Cards graded by the official PSA company are almost always flawless in every way, as they have to be as graders here are a lot more experienced and critical when grading cards, and getting a 10 by the offical PSA is always more difficult. This card was graded by the official PSA company. We believe this card should have been sent in while applying for a BLACK LABEL grade, and not just a 10, because we believe it would be accepted as one, just look at the photos and video and decide for yourself!

Jim

Comments

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait, so your saying PSA Uses sub-contractors to grade cards?? I find this highly unlikely.

Furthermore, your “additional note” makes virtually no sense. Are you talking about PSA or Beckett?

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

that seller is a moron and their little blurb proves they have absolutely NO idea what they are talking about. He is claiming the different types of PSA labels from over the years indicate they were graded by different PSA sub contractors, which is obviously false. apply for a black label? come on.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:
    Furthermore, your “additional note” makes virtually no sense. Are you talking about PSA or Beckett?

I’m not saying any of this - the eBay seller is. That additional note is right from his listing. I thought it was BS from the get-go, but I’m far less experienced with grading than most here so I figured I’d run it by the experts and confirm my feelings that this guy’s a dolt.

Jim

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burghman said:

@Rofles said:

I’m not saying any of this - the eBay seller is. That additional note is right from his listing. I thought it was BS from the get-go, but I’m far less experienced with grading than most here so I figured I’d run it by the experts and confirm my feelings that this guy’s a dolt.

A dolt alright.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:
    Wait, so your saying PSA Uses sub-contractors to grade cards?? I find this highly unlikely.

they kinda actually do in a very round about, evil genius kinda way. notice the q1 and q2 stages? psa is hiring. and that's all i will say about that.

*evil is meant in very savvy business-like manner. not as a negative.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn’t Steve Hart a subcontractor to grade packs? Post is crazy but would not surprised if they had arrangements with others in the hobby to send stuff to.

@brad31 said:
    Isn’t Steve Hart a subcontractor to grade packs? Post is crazy but would not surprised if they had arrangements with others in the hobby to send stuff to.

another great example there too.

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 2 1....

Mike
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poof

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    edited October 18, 2020 10:05AM

why would the fact that they outsource certain strategic parts of their business to a more knowledgeable outlet or cost effective manner warrant a "3, 2, 1. poof"?

steve is the man when it comes to unopened and the goal of a business is to make money, right?

@burghman said:

@Rofles said:

Ahh my bad. Sorry sir!

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2020 3:46PM

@brad31 said:

I'm pretty sure not. He only authenticates them and then returns them to PSA for grading, as far as I understand.

As far as the OP is concerned, what do you expect from a 0 feedback seller?

edited October 18, 2020 3:52PM

@daltex said:

@brad31 said:

I'm pretty sure not. He only authenticates them and then returns them to PSA for grading, as far as I understand.

As far as the OP is concerned, what do you expect from a 0 feedback seller?

isn't that still a form of subcontracting out part of their service? i thought i've heard somewhere that in his contract he can not grade any loose packs which would imply that he's not an employee of psa, right?

not referencing any part of that sham fake zero feedback listing.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is common knowledge that Steve Hart handles packs for PSA. Henry Yee does photos. But using sub graders in the manner in which this listing is insinuating does not happen. I am not sure where this "info" came from or what message is seller is trying to convey but he/she is far off base.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

You guys are making this too difficult. Seller is sniffing glue.

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:
    You guys are making this too difficult. Seller is sniffing glue.

Exactly. Seller is trying to pump up his card by telling lies hoping that an ignorant buyer might not know. Adding "black label" in the title is just click bait to get more eyes.