Home Metal Detecting
Options

Sort of a Newb here! Looking for advice!

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum, not necessarily metl detecting though. I've had one for a long time but I've never taken it anywhere besides around my own house. There used to be a house there in several decades ago, maybe even 100 years ago, that burned down, so it's a great place to search. However, I've never found any coins or anything of incredible interest. I live in Western NC, so I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the area enough to lead me to some good places to search? I'm also very close to NC, GA state line so anywhere around there is good too! Like I said, if anyone has any advice for me as a noob, please let me know! I have a Lone Star detector, no clue if it's good or bad, and I'm not 100% certain I use it correctly...

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bkins1880.... Welcome aboard.... I am not familiar with your area, but likely some civil war sites around there.... Check your local library, they are a gold mine of information for metal detecting. No idea on your MD either, I have always used White's. Good luck and tell us about your searches and finds. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Bkins1880.... Welcome aboard.... I am not familiar with your area, but likely some civil war sites around there.... Check your local library, they are a gold mine of information for metal detecting. No idea on your MD either, I have always used White's. Good luck and tell us about your searches and finds. Cheers, RickO

Thank you! I will be sure to snoop around the library to see about finding some info!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy, so you want to find records of civil war troop movements, stream crossings, skirmishes, camp sites, etc. in your area. I'm in SE Pa. so I can't be more helpful but all these facts have been written about by many. Lots of maps are also out there. Have fun and enjoy the journey. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try google earth and use the clock icon to go back as many years as possible in your area and look for interesting spots then mark that spot with a drop pin. Then go back to “now” and hope you don’t see a walmart built over your pin.
    Good luck!

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭

Try looking around the base of any large shade trees or if you can determine where the house sat, around the porch areas.

Dig every signal at first, so you can see what the different targets sound like.

imageimage