Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

PQ or Grade?

Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 9, 2020 6:41PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

For your registry sets do you go for PQ for a grade, or the highest grade you can afford? I have a MS66RB Lincoln Cent in my type set that I absolutely love. It has a beautiful deep ruby red toning to it. However, I keep my eye out for an MS66+RD to "upgrade" it, but rarely see them come up for sale. Well one popped up on eBay today, but it doesn't wow me. It's not much money, but I'm wondering if I should get it, or keep the 66 and be happy with that. I don't want to get caught up in the competition aspect of registry sets. How do you handle such a conundrum?

Comments

• lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

I think if you bought it you’d still be looking to get a nicer one at that grade. I’d hold out for what you really want.

I brake for ear bars.
  • JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

You...and only You should determine for Yourself what levels of completion/grade/competition You wish to pursue

Collect what makes You happy or proud...to the extent You desire

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I get that. I don't mean to sound like I'm asking others how I should collect. I'm just torn between two choices, and was curious what other people's viewpoints are in their collection. Maybe someone's perspective would help with my own decision.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Build a collection that suits your taste and style. If you like the 66, leave it alone and focus on other areas of your set.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

So I made a compromise and decided to send him a lowball offer, which he accepted. Now I own the grade I was seeking, but I'll keep the WOW coin too.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2020 6:16AM

I’ve been partaking for many years with many sets in the “silly boys game”, also known as the “Registry”. Although most of my sets are relatively highly rated, I learned early on to only upgrade a coin if I felt the overall eye appeal of the potential upgraded coin had nicer eye appeal than the coin it would replace. It’s so easy to find upgraded coins, but paying a “great low price” for a coin whose eye appeal is not nicer than your existing coin is not a bargain!

I understand you already made this move. Hopefully it’ll be a learning experience. I think in the long run you want coins that are solid for the grade, with nice eye appeal. You want to be PROUD of the collection you put together, regardless of the grade level.

One of my sets is a Classic Silver Commemorative 50 Coin Type Set. For the Lynchburg and San Diego coins, I want (and can afford) MS67 for each. However, my set contains MS65 on each of those, and their eye appeal to me is terrific! I’ve seen many 67’s for each of those since I acquired the 65’s, but have still not pulled the trigger, since I have not yet seen 67’s that will make me happy.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • kruegerkrueger Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

I agree with Winesteven 's post.
    I love the beauty of so-called "A" looking coins . especially those with real flash of Full Mint Luster.
    that make some of the same date 66's 67's look flat out ugly. who wants a dull diamond!
    such coins in a display case just pop to the eye!
    in the old Days before slabs such coins were deemed Gem BU's today a few non offending marks makes a FML coin a 63/64.
    they don't seem to give an up grading point to such beautiful coins any more.

I have a number of #1 registry sets so I will upgrade weighing cost VS benefit to the set.
    but I love to look at those FML's I put aside. No problem selling such coins.

Krueger

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you can afford it, **Wait **for the higher grade
    1/2 grades are nice but....

Kennedys are my quest...

@WAYNEAS said:
    if you can afford it, **Wait **for the higher grade
    1/2 grades are nice but....

It's a coin where I'm stopping at 66+. On PCGS's price guide, MS66 is $26, MS66+ is $60, and MS67 is $475.