Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CBS Sacramento: "Rare Coin Collection, Decades Of Memories Stolen While 93-Year-Old Man Slept"

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here we go again folks. This is so scary and frustrating for senior collectors.

By Velena Jones

SACRAMENTO COUNTY (CBS13) — Decades of memories line the hallway of 93-year-old Harry Blanton’s home. Some of his most cherished possessions are his pre-World War I-era coin collection with coins dating back to the late 1800s.

Those memories were robbed last week when a thief broke into his home in the middle of the night. They stole a collection of his coins and two wallets with hundreds of dollars and pictures of wife Pearl, who died last year.

“After they broke in, I didn’t know it until the next morning. It was all gone,” said Blanton.

The culprit first tried to break into a side door, then smashed a window and ripped a screen door in the backyard to get inside. They also stole a stack of rare $2 bills.

“They were right in the bedroom where I was at,” he explained. “It wrecks your privacy.”

The army vet slept through it all while the thief was rummaging through his bedroom. Blanton said the thief cut off all the power to his house during the break-in.

cont'd in link...... https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/10/05/coin-collection-decades-memories-stolen-sacramento/

Comments

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too, too sad. I feel for the guy. That's horrible.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, slept through it all. Wish I could sleep that well!

In any case, I hope they catch the thief and go medieval on them! To steal is bad but to do it in the room of an elderly person while they are there is beyond despicable.

• Options

@btcollects said:
    man, all those rare $2 bills, lost forever

Is this sarcasm? The only reason I ask is because they dont seem to be too rare but I'm not certain

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bkins1880 said:

@btcollects said:

Is this sarcasm? The only reason I ask is because they dont seem to be too rare but I'm not certain

Depends on the era of the notes.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

These can be very pricey.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@Smudge said:

@btcollects said:

Not the point. These were treasures to him.

Very true, the only reason I asked was just out of curiosity

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:

@MrEureka said:
    Horrible, but it was really fortunate that he didn't wake up in the middle of the burglary.

That was my first thought. It brings back memories of when I was a kid. My grandfather fought in WWI and WWII. He had a couple guys enter his home and demand money. He gave them $50 and asked them to leave. They demanded more and he got down in his cabinet and came up firing! Shot one guy right in the family jewels and the other in the rear end as he was running out the door. I was there when the cops were speaking to him and you could tell they got the biggest kick out of this old WW vet taking those guys out. It also is the epitome of a bird in hand!

I'm thinking that wasn't a bird.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

This makes me extremely angry!
    All I can say is I’m glad they didn’t physically harm the man.
    I hope like hell they catch the SOB’s😡

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would want back the pictures of my wife more than anything else. Karma will catch up with those b******s.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:'( This makes me so angry..... Rotten punks.... I hope they are caught and really hope he gets his possessions back.
    Cheers, RickO

• Options
    foraiurforaiur Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Very sad. Unfortunately, such cases often have the involvement of people well known to the victim.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

How sad

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible.

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Things on walls are nice to look at but anything of value should be in either a floor mounted safe or a safety deposit box.

Imagine if he were still in the Army and left his wall locker unlocked, he'd have gotten smoked.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking the thief is going to realize sooner or later that selling his new found riches won't be so easy or profitable. Hopefully he is a family member or an acquaintance and returns the stolen goods.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file