Home Autographs Forum

LA Dodgers from early 1980s not sure of 2 autogprahs

My father gave me a ball with autogrpahs from I think the early 1980s. It was easy to determine, Steve Garvey but does anyone know who's below him and also the 2nd photo I'm not sure who it is. Other autographs not shown are Tommy Lasorda and Ron Cey. I appreciate your help. The autographs could be from another team.

Comments

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2020 8:09PM

Top picture is Elston Howard, and the signature below Garvey is, I believe, Roy White.

Both Howard and White were Yankees.

Edited to add that the ball is probably from the 1977 or 1978 World Series, as both Howard and White left the Yankees after the 1979 season; Howard as a coach (he died in 1980), and White as a player. 1977 and 1978 were the only years during the 1970s (Garvey's career) that the Yankees met the Dodgers on the field. They played each-other again in 1981, but that was after Howard's death.

Steve

• Steve, Thank you so much. This was an impressive analysis. I may have to keep this ball and pass it down. Any idea what it's worth. I added the other photos if you're interested.

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure I would have seen White out of context, although Howard was easy. Of course, having someone say white, I see it clearly now.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Being on a little league ball does not help the value.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve Shirley and Tom Lasorda.

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Shirley is not on the ball, but Garvey is.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

could the ball have been signed at either the '77 or '78 World Series?

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.