Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My problematic 1920s Mercury D./ I Made my decision...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trading is part of this hobby. Do it! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@david3142 said:

@joeykoins said:

@david3142 said:
    I don’t know what price guide you’re using but looking at auction results I’d guess that dime is worth about $60 and the quarter about $40. Your $100 guess was reasonable and I think these two are preferable to the other dime. Well done! Do not under any circumstances bother to cross them.

Thanks. If I were to cross, it would only be the Quarter, only because of the RPM. ;)

Still not worth the cost.

Even if it would stay a ms 66 RPM? $275?
    Also, remember. The coin (quarter) didn't cost me any cash.

It’s like you didn’t read what I posted at all, or you didn’t want to hear what I said...

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 9:10PM

@airplanenut
    It’s like you didn’t read what I posted at all, or you didn’t want to hear what I said...

Ok, thank you. ;)
    I am aware that we shouldn't take PCGS price Guide to be Gospel. The same with the Cherry Pickers' Guide as well. But we also shouldn't take Ebay prices Gospel too. Even the auction prices, when you think of it. Anything can change, anytime. It all depends upon the buyer, right? If, when and how much he is willing to pay. I understand we should just use these p. Guides as guides only. Let the coin/s do the talking not any price guides or auction houses. Thank you, once again for your concern and help, my friend. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you planning to (attempt to) cross the coins to PCGS?

• Options

@daltex said:
    Are you planning to (attempt to) cross the coins to PCGS?

Maybe? Just the Quarter. Ex. Went at David Lawrence Auctions for $210 in 2017

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2020 9:32AM

Scope close ups
    I do believe its the S/S- 501

Here is Vista's

Here is my coins markers

Vista

Mine

Vista

Mine

Vista

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a comment or 2 about auction prices realized.

Unless the coin being auctioned is a major rarity, PQ for the grade, or a series that is very hot at the time, the majority of auction prices realized are on the left side of the bell curve for overall sales if all the sales realized prices could be gathered(IE private sales). Heck, there's quite a few that realize sub wholesale pricing because they just fall through the cracks and just don't draw that much attention. This is especially true with ebay prices realized.

The majority of the middle of the road coins I see being auctioned the past few years seem to be meh as far as appealing coins. In other words left side of the Bell curve again. The majority of the nice coins for the grade in this range really do not need an auction venue to find a good home.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you look at the dime closely with a loupe? I ask because I had a coin came back cleaned and sent again and came back cleaned. Then I looked at it closely with a loupe and saw a light wipe on the portrait. You could only see it at the correct angle and no signs of it on the TruView.

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    Sell for a fair price (at least for $50)

@amwldcoin said:
    I have a comment or 2 about auction prices realized.

That may be so, I'm in no position to argue your point. On the other hand, if OP is looking to "value" his coin for the purposes of selling it in the future (rather than for insurance or a divorce settlement or some such), then what really counts is how much he can expect to get for the coin. Not how much a dealer in NYC sold it for last week after buying it off a widow for 30 cents on the $. Joey, I like the PCGS coin guide too but I understand I will never be able to sell a coin for those prices. If you click on the PCGS # (far left column) you can get pop info and realized auction prices from the last 10 years or so that will help you better evaluate their worth. Really nice pickups tho, I hope your quarter really is a RPM!

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 11:10AM

Joey,

You did a pretty good job of turning a problem coin into a decent deal. :)
    Don't turn your decent deal into a problem. :/

Or

Send it in and we can have chapter 2 of the problem dime. :D
    It looks like your coin may have a slight amount of strike doubling on the MM, if I were looking for one I would not want one with strike doubling.....but that's just me. ;)

Also if I were looking for this variety I would cherrypick one...... may not be too hard, you found one real easy. ;)

• Options

Thanks. Well put. We'll see where my mind takes me concerning the RPM. Lol.

• Options
    edited September 30, 2020 11:42AM

IkesT, are you referring that I should just do something like this? But more neater, and perhaps more smaller? Lol

How's this?

• Options

Ha Ha! That's funny dude. :D

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell for a fair price (at least for $50)

I'll say that varieties get sold raw all the time. If you were going to sell it, what you have above with the comparison to Variety Vista and your own coin should be enough for any interested buyer to know what they were getting. It's a nice coin in a nice holder, and having your own label would also show your cherry picking skill :wink:

• Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

My advise is to keep it as a learning experience. Now learn from it!

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just keep, as is, in the PCGS holder. Then continue to tell it's story.

If your main goal is to see if PCGS will validate the 66 grade and confirm your research of the variety, then I can understand the cross attempt. If your goal is to make a financially sound decision that could lead to profit, do not attempt the cross. Not close to enough financial upside to justify it and a decent bit of risk of loss. My advice is to enjoy the coins as is.

• Options
    KozmanKozman Posts: 275 ✭✭
    Crack out and try to let it tone naturally before seeing what NGC has to say

resubmit to PCGS. You may be surprised that it will be graded. Just my opinion

• Options
    edited October 1, 2020 2:54PM

Lol. I would have never thought that I would decide on the least voted for, to trade? Right now, I. do appear pleased and content with my decision. Thanks again, guy's for having some influence in making my choice. ;)

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2020 2:59PM

Your 1920 dime has personality. The other two coins kind of don't.

Your trade was safe yet ineffective.

Like trading a 1967 Mustang V8 Fastback convertible for two 2010 Mustang coups (six cylinder).

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Your 1920 dime has personality. The other two coins kind of don't.

Your trade was safe yet ineffective.

Like trading a 1967 Mustang V8 Fastback convertible for two 2010 Mustang coups (six cylinder).

I think you just gave each coin (beyond) far too much credit!😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

What? Do you guys mean I didn't please you two in my transaction? Now, that breaks my heart. Ahh.

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    What? Do you guys mean I didn't please you two in my transaction? Now, that breaks my heart. Ahh.

Naw, you good dog.
    We all make humiliating decisions from time to time.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

That reminds me, we are still waiting to see you in that rap video... :p

• Options

@IkesT said:

@abcde12345 said:

:neutral:

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

@IkesT said:

@abcde12345 said:

:neutral:

:)

• Options
    edited October 1, 2020 9:55PM

It's kind of funny. Like I had in one of my choices to vote. "Just keep,as is,in the PCGS holder. Then continue to tell it's story."
    Well, I DIDN'T keep the coin, and I'm still telling the story.
    Sorry. In a bad mood. My Cardinals blew their chance to advance tonight! :#

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I have a 1944 dime and quarter submitted for over a month now. I accidentally checked the economy box and not the regular box. They could not change it for me once they were put in grading. I will always note DO NOT LABEL CLEANED on my form.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file