Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Humane grading fees...

KingBenKingBen Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
edited September 25, 2020 11:37AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Will we see them when these current specials are over? When does the rest of the world get to grade their cards under the specials?

How many times a year do they hold specials for modern cards of ANY player? I noticed the modern card special, but it’s only for Trout and Griffey! Smh

So when will I get my turn? I have a gazillion cards waiting....

COLLECTING: 2020 Topps 206 ⚾️

facebook.com/groups/Topps206

facebook.com/groups/SportsCardsHobbyTalk

Comments

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea why PSA would offer a special at all with the back log they have.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

“Dude take an economics 101 class” literally has me rolling.

• KingBenKingBen Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2020 5:52PM

@Dpeck100 said:
    Dude take a economics 101 class. They have gone from 68k to 250k of cards submitted a week in a year and you want them to lower the price. Baffling.

But they could have 700k submissions if they provided a special we could actually use.

Nothing new here... I’ve always ever send cards in to PSA and BGS(no more) only when they had specials. Never have I paid full price, and not about to start now.

Believe me, I’m not the only one waiting, as usual. I’m just wondering when the next one will be.

By the way... “an economics” class. Not “a.”

@rexvos said:
    I have no idea why PSA would offer a special at all with the back log they have.

This is true.... but I can wait. Just wondering if maybe there is word of one coming.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot the n because I couldn’t get passed how anyone could think a business that is bursting at the seems with demand for their services would be wise to lower their prices.

It’s not rocket science.

@Dpeck100 said:
    I forgot the n because I couldn’t get passed how anyone could think a business that is bursting at the seems with demand for their services would be wise to lower their prices.

It’s not rocket science.

They continually have specials... just not the one I’m looking for. They have specials running right now till the end of of this month, if I’m not mistaken.

Just wondering if someone knows something I don’t, and can tell me if a modern card special is coming, for all players. Not just Trout and Griffey...

@Dpeck100 said:
    Prices aren’t going down. If anything they are going to keep going up.

I also have thousands of cards in card savers without penny sleeves and don’t plan to retire from the hobby.

Lol.... you might want to sleeve them up. May be too late, though. 😊

I didn’t say anything about prices going up or down. Just asked about the specials. Obviously prices will always go up with time.

edited September 24, 2020 7:08PM

@Sidepocket1 said:
    past not passed :)

Past the ball. 😆

Remembering the pass. 🤣

He pasted the ball. 😁

edited September 24, 2020 7:17PM

I have subbed loads of PSA 10’s over the years in card savers with no sleeves. They work great hence why card grading companies prefer them. Some choose to use a penny sleeve but in my view that increases the risk of damage when removing for grading. It’s debatable.

The reason PSA isn’t running specials is there is zero economic incentive. They can’t keep up with demand as it is and so lowering the price will just increase submissions more and expand their back log. They also are a for profit company and understand the supply and demand curve and as they have raised prices there hasn’t been a reduction in submissions and instead an explosion. They realize they hand money to collectors and also deserve a piece of the action. I don’t want them to run specials. The line is already long enough and by keeping the price high it forces the break even point higher for cards submitted and reduces the overall number. I sent in cards on $4.75 specials years ago. If the price was something similar instead of 250k cards a week it might be 600k or even higher. Just imagine the complaints and frustration. As long as the hobby remains strong the days of cheap specials are over. They have raised the price year after year and submission volume has risen every year. No business person with an ounce of business knowledge would reduce prices. They aren’t stupid.

• demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

They're the most backed up in order entry.

Most of their specials seem to target orders that can be entered efficiently due to there being a limited scope of possible cards. (For example, I can enter older cards 5X faster than newer cards. I assume it's the same on their end.)

I wouldn't expect any low dollar specials that would generate orders with a high degree of variance. Maybe something like Basic Topps only or Heritage only. But I don't think we'll see anything like a post-2015 $9 special for a long time.

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

@KingBen said:

@Dpeck100 said:
    Dude take a economics 101 class. They have gone from 68k to 250k of cards submitted a week in a year and you want them to lower the price. Baffling.

But they could have 700k submissions if they provided a special we could actually use.

Nothing new here... I’ve always ever send cards in to PSA and BGS(no more) only when they had specials. Never have I paid full price, and not about to start now.

Believe me, I’m not the only one waiting, as usual. I’m just wondering when the next one will be.

I have argued the same thing for something smaller scale like sports stadium concessions. I haven't been to a MLB game in years now, but last time I did, I absolutely REFUSED to buy any of their grossly overpriced food/drink. I'd either eat right before on the way to the park or wait until after. I'm sure there are plenty like me, but plenty more willing to buy at whatever price they set.

Obviously the math doesn't add up for them when there are enough people willing to pay $12 for a single beer or $6 for a hot dog (is that in the current ballpark price range, just guessing?). I thought, why not set reasonable prices and sell much more and make up the margin in volume, but if it were that simple, they would be doing it already?

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

with this type of demand, prices only go up

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingBen said:

@Dpeck100 said:

english major, huh?

• I admire your passions.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

You weren't real clear in the OP.

I would expect the current high demand will at some point drop and if PSA gets "caught up" to the point where there is a potential lay-off, they might offer some better specials or even lower prices.

Other than that, I don't see any reason for them to lessen their profitability.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think PSA should change its business model to accommodate one person. Economics 101. :p

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

@Dpeck100 said:
    I have subbed loads of PSA 10’s over the years in card savers with no sleeves. They work great hence why card grading companies prefer them. Some choose to use a penny sleeve but in my view that increases the risk of damage when removing for grading. It’s debatable.

The reason PSA isn’t running specials is there is zero economic incentive. They can’t keep up with demand as it is and so lowering the price will just increase submissions more and expand their back log. They also are a for profit company and understand the supply and demand curve and as they have raised prices there hasn’t been a reduction in submissions and instead an explosion. They realize they hand money to collectors and also deserve a piece of the action. I don’t want them to run specials. The line is already long enough and by keeping the price high it forces the break even point higher for cards submitted and reduces the overall number. I sent in cards on $4.75 specials years ago. If the price was something similar instead of 250k cards a week it might be 600k or even higher. Just imagine the complaints and frustration. As long as the hobby remains strong the days of cheap specials are over. They have raised the price year after year and submission volume has risen every year. No business person with an ounce of business knowledge would reduce prices. They aren’t stupid.

They are running specials right now.

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

• LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

@KingBen

I’m with you. PSA understands that there are different market segments and it would be unwise for them to ignore that segment with elastic demand.

@LGC said:
    @KingBen

I’m with you. PSA understands that there are different market segments and it would be unwise for them to ignore that segment with elastic demand.

🤟🏼

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s a rumor over on BO that there’s going to be another PSA grading price increase scheduled for release tomorrow and that it was described as “significant.”
    Anyone else hearing this.

not sure about the rest, but i've basically just been coughing up the $20/card at the economy level just to hope to have them back before the end of the year. bet i'm not the only one. i've noticed the log in times at the economy, regular & express options have started to take significantly longer.

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    not sure about the rest, but i've basically just been coughing up the $20/card at the economy level just to hope to have them back before the end of the year. bet i'm not the only one. i've noticed the log in times at the economy, regular & express options have started to take significantly longer.

My economy submission logged just over 4 weeks after receiving. My Collectors Club special however took closer to 8, which is in line with what they’ve stated.
    With apparent 7 day work weeks, new hires, expanding grading rooms, upgrading the receiving process, and still hiring.
    My express submission received, 9/15, started processing 9/17, and shipped on 9/25. Could you elaborate on taking noticeably longer? Seems pretty good to me!
    PSA has made a lot of changes and a lot of upgrades TO GET caught up on the backlog. Don’t forget the COVID shutdown is perhaps the biggest, if not The sole contributor to all of this.
    I think they’ve done a great job combating the backlog they’ve had, and if anyone hasn’t yet, sign up for the PSA newsletter. Steve Sloan has done a great job explaining the expansion/upgrades, to help mitigate the backlog issues.

@Rofles said:

@blurryface said:

My economy submission logged just over 4 weeks after receiving. My Collectors Club special however took closer to 8, which is in line with what they’ve stated.
    With apparent 7 day work weeks, new hires, expanding grading rooms, upgrading the receiving process, and still hiring.
    My express submission received, 9/15, started processing 9/17, and shipped on 9/25. Could you elaborate on taking noticeably longer? Seems pretty good to me!
    PSA has made a lot of changes and a lot of upgrades TO GET caught up on the backlog. Don’t forget the COVID shutdown is perhaps the biggest, if not The sole contributor to all of this.
    I think they’ve done a great job combating the backlog they’ve had, and if anyone hasn’t yet, sign up for the PSA newsletter. Steve Sloan has done a great job explaining the expansion/upgrades, to help mitigate the backlog issues.

sure. here's a batch of express and regular subs that were shipped via fedex, boxes properly marked outside that were shipped overnight from between 9/7 - 9/12. they weren't processed until yesterday.

edited September 30, 2020 10:01AM

and here's another express that even pre-dates those. fedexed overnight in a properly marked box again on 9/2. still hasn't even been logged yet. not complaining. just elaborating.

and yes, i got the memo on the updates. started a thread about the initialization of robots and streamlining about a month ago. if i had to guess why such a delay on these, i would say i caught that perfect spot between the implementation of the new box barcode method vs. the now defunct method of properly marking the outside of the boxes method.

would go out on a limb and say they moved 80% of the manpower on 9/1 to implement the new process which only left 20% of the manpower to finish off the stuff left in limbo thus creating the delay.

and it's ok. i don't mind being the sacrificial lamb if it speeds up the overall process from here on out. worked well for you. 😉

@blurryface said:
    and yes, i got the memo on the updates. started a thread about the initialization of robots and streamlining about a month ago. if i had to guess why such a delay on these, i would say i caught that perfect spot between the implementation of the new box barcode method vs. the now defunct method of properly marking the outside of the boxes method.

would go out on a limb and say they moved 80% of the manpower on 9/1 to implement the new process which only left 20% of the manpower to finish off the stuff left in limbo thus creating the delay.

and it's ok. i don't mind being the sacrificial lamb if it speeds up the overall process from here on out. worked well for you. 😉

I see, I appreciate you sharing, helping me understand! My express was only 5 cards, perhaps maybe that’s why they went through so fast? Best of luck on all your subs! I hope to have a collection like you some day!

edited September 30, 2020 10:50AM

@Rofles

no problem. did you print out the barcode or mark the outside of the box?

and per the price increase, i think i can believe it.

it kinda makes sense they would implement this new intake system on 9/1, work out the kinks throughout the rest of september, make sure everything is flowing smoothly and that they are ready to rock-n-roll, announce the new significant price increase on 10/1 and then hit the ground running for the final quarter of the year. after all, we see what happened last time they announced one.

@blurryface said:
    @Rofles

no problem. did you print out the barcode or mark the outside of the box?

and per the price increase, i think i can believe it.

it kinda makes sense they would implement this new intake system on 9/1, work out the kinks throughout the rest of september, make sure everything is flowing smoothly and that they are ready to rock-n-roll, announce the new significant price increase on 10/1 and then hit the ground running for the final quarter of the year. after all, we see what happened last time they announced one.

I didn’t see the barcode upgrade so I just wrote express on all four sides, did standard fed ex shipping.

Yep! Their stock price has exploded, don’t blame them for a second for raising prices. Supply/demand. People are gonna send cards in regardless.
    I think most people expect their grades to go up with the submission prices 🙄.
    People also need to realize that, their PSA-slabbed cards will in turn carry a higher premium in the open market.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    There’s a rumor over on BO that there’s going to be another PSA grading price increase scheduled for release tomorrow and that it was described as “significant.”

Yeah, not much concrete evidence on BO.. Only what I quoted below.. Lots of speculation about an increase starting tomorrow, all based off of the postmark date.

"No. The increase is coming. Volume submitters with reps were the first to find out."

and

"On last week’s GoGTS podcast they interviewed the head of Leaf. He mentioned in the interview a major, major price increase was coming from PSA. I don’t know if the head of Leaf is a reputable source or not. Just reporting what he said."

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

I didn’t see the barcode upgrade so I just wrote express on all four sides, did standard fed ex shipping.

That is probably why it sat for over two weeks. You didn’t follow directions. You don’t write the service level on the box anymore.

I shipped a box fedex ground on 9/23, got an email from PSA the next morning after 9am delivery that the barcode was scanned received on 9/24 and the single card I had in there at the express level was inputted on 9/29.

Don’t forget that fedex regular (non-ground) goes to the fedex location to be held for pickup, not direct to PSA. Ground goes right to PSA.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:

@erikthredd said:

Yeah, not much concrete evidence on BO.. Only what I quoted below.. Lots of speculation about an increase starting tomorrow, all based off of the postmark date.

"No. The increase is coming. Volume submitters with reps were the first to find out."

and

"On last week’s GoGTS podcast they interviewed the head of Leaf. He mentioned in the interview a major, major price increase was coming from PSA. I don’t know if the head of Leaf is a reputable source or not. Just reporting what he said."

Agreed ,we’ll also know pretty quick if its BS or not within the next day. I’m pretty much a 15 CC voucher guy almost every time I submit so I’m just hoping if there are increases hopefully that isn’t one of them.

edited September 30, 2020 11:20AM

i can see it happening regardless. maybe not tomorrow. but from what i've read about the head of leaf (brian, i think) he is not the most reputable pen in the well. and doesn't he sub all of his leaf crap, pre-production, blanked back 1/1s to bgs?

you'd be a pretty brave man strolling over there to blowout and starting that thread knowing they just had a significant price increase and established the ultra-modern category to state something like that outta thin air.

• Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

someone has to pay for the new hires and such

• will be interesting what they do, someone mentioned eonomics 101, the older stuff doesn't make economical sense to submit at higher prices , even at current bulk prices it doesn't make much sense for most things.

ultra modern which I know nothing about seems to have a huge following and is much of the backlog and the secondary market supports it, hopefully this is where the price increase would be isolated to.

increasing the current bulk rates on vintage will take out most of the weekend warriors and basically leave the volume submitters who get a discount as the only ones who can justify the submissions. when the bulk rates were $6-7 bucks you could almost blindly send in your higher grade 60's and 70's and even early 80's cards. at 8-10 bucks you need to be selective but still doable. if bulk is going to be $12+ there is no reason to submit almost any commons from these years.

most commons in psa 8's will not cover current grading fees never mind an increase and it just isn't worth it when there is a raw market that will pay 3-5 bucks for high grade that may only sell for $6-$10 if graded psa 8.

• Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:
    will be interesting what they do, someone mentioned eonomics 101, the older stuff doesn't make economical sense to submit at higher prices , even at current bulk prices it doesn't make much sense for most things.

ultra modern which I know nothing about seems to have a huge following and is much of the backlog and the secondary market supports it, hopefully this is where the price increase would be isolated to.

increasing the current bulk rates on vintage will take out most of the weekend warriors and basically leave the volume submitters who get a discount as the only ones who can justify the submissions. when the bulk rates were $6-7 bucks you could almost blindly send in your higher grade 60's and 70's and even early 80's cards. at 8-10 bucks you need to be selective but still doable. if bulk is going to be $12+ there is no reason to submit almost any commons from these years.

most commons in psa 8's will not cover current grading fees never mind an increase and it just isn't worth it when there is a raw market that will pay 3-5 bucks for high grade that may only sell for $6-$10 if graded psa 8.

agree...if they go overboard with any price increases, they might be pricing a lot of people out, as you stated, and their volume could take a precipitous drop

@RufussCkingston said:

That is probably why it sat for over two weeks. You didn’t follow directions. You don’t write the service level on the box anymore.

I shipped a box fedex ground on 9/23, got an email from PSA the next morning after 9am delivery that the barcode was scanned received on 9/24 and the single card I had in there at the express level was inputted on 9/29.

Don’t forget that fedex regular (non-ground) goes to the fedex location to be held for pickup, not direct to PSA. Ground goes right to PSA.

actually, the barcode implementation wasnt done until the 10th. pretty sure i follow and stay abreast of any and all sub info to do anything possible to expedite and prevent any and all possible delays in an already drawn out process.

but welcome to the boards.

@blurryface said:

guess a lot of other folks did to. the $20 economy level is gone!

@blurryface said:

@blurryface said:

guess a lot of other folks did to. the $20 economy level is gone!

What is it replaced with?

Since when did they have this super sweet deal???! NOW...... I can grade 😊

Where are all my “economy 101” people telling me how PSA wouldn’t lower their price? 😆 smh

“Economics” lol..... smh 🙄

I just had a sub pop yesterday for 137 cards at $9 per card submitted in June. Today the amount needed dropped to 20 from 100 but the price is $12. I have to assume your post above was an attempt at humor. This is called a price increase.

@Dpeck100 said:
    I just had a sub pop yesterday for 137 cards at $9 per card submitted in June. Today the amount needed dropped to 20 from 100 but the price is $12. I have to assume your post above was an attempt at humor. This is called a price increase.

The lowest price I saw before posting the pictures above, was $20! And up! So that $12 and $15 price is SWEET! Especially when sending in a couple of hundred cards... it adds up quick!

It was $9 and $10.

@Dpeck100 said:
    It was $9 and $10.

Nope. Not when I looked at it.

edited October 1, 2020 4:07AM

Okay. Believe what you want. The same sub I did would cost $411 more.

The $20 level is gone. It had a much higher declared value level. It’s now $50 it appears.

@Dpeck100 said:
    Okay. Believe what you want. The same sub I did would cost $411 more.

Forget your sub... not talking about that. Talking about the prices that were available to me in recent months.

Economics, dude! If they lower the price some, many many more people will submit, and many cards that they had stashed! Simple economics 101.

Heck, I may even wait till they have a special! I can wait all year if need be.... but the current prices of $12 and $15 is pretty tempting. But I may just hold off for even more savings! Makes no difference when I grade them.... they’ll still be stored away 😊

edited October 1, 2020 4:34AM

At first I thought you needed to take an economics class. Now I think you need to take math and reading comprehension too.

The $20 option that is gone was for max declared value of $499. At that same time you could sub cards for $9 at 100 with max declared value of $99 and $10 for 50. That’s been changed to $12.

The super modern went from $12 to $15.

You are going to have to wait a little longer for your humane grading fees.