Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Unofficial 1971 Topps Thread? Let’s start one!

RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn’t find any 1971 Topps baseball discussion thread, so I thought maybe I’d get one going!
My first three graded cards I sent in:

Anybody have a favorite ‘71 they’d like to share?

Comments

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2019 4:16PM

Congratulations on submitting one or more PSA 9s! I have submitted around 100 cards from this set and gotten two 9s.

Here are some favorites from my set:

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    Congratulations on submitting one or more PSA 9s! I have submitted around 100 cards from this set and gotten two 9s.

Here are some favorites from my set:

Thanks! I got lucky I think 😄
    Wow!! Your 71’s are GORGEOUS!!
    I have 86 right now that I’m planning on submitting by the end of the year, maybe more! 😁

• BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

1971T is my favorite vintage set. Been working on a very nice nrmt set for years. Your cards above are stunning.

• stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one of my favorites.

@stevegarveyfan said:

I see why! Stunning card!

@Rofles said:

@stevegarveyfan said:

I see why! Stunning card!

Thanks! Probably about the highest grade I'll ever get without getting very lucky on submitting a raw copy. If I bought anything higher than 8.5, my wife would probably shoot me. She'd do it at close range with a Nerf gun, but still.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a lot of 8's that should grade higher!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Yaz:

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

^NICE!^

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • redlegsredlegs Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorites because of the vivid color.

@redlegs said:
    One of my favorites because of the vivid color.

Wow, that is one nice card! Got any more high-end Carews you'd like to share with us?

• redlegsredlegs Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. I don't have any other Carew but here is a 1971 Johnny Bench.

Very nice. It's surprisingly difficult to get an 8 when submitting 1971 Topps Baseball.

Wow, beautiful cards!!

edited August 5, 2019 2:40PM

@PaulMaul said:
    Latest pickup...

Son of a gun, that's pretty!

@PaulMaul said:
    Latest pickup...

GORGEOUS!!

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

71's in HIGH GRADE are just stunning to look at. PaulMaul's 71 Reggie is just a sight to behold. Thurman isn't too shabby either. LOL.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one 1971 complete raw set, and a second 1971 raw set that is a work in progress that I only tinker with occasionally, that is still missing roughly 40 high numbers. I have maybe 1,000 additional raw cards that would probably be between 60-70% of another set if I chose to pursue it. Very few of mine would be of the quality shown in this thread, though, as most of them would likely be in the PSA 5-7 range if graded, with maybe a few 8s and 9s. I've upgraded a number of cards through Greg Morris and others, so do know that there are outstanding raw 1971s out there to be had. Very nice pickups @Rofles, congratulations on your grades, and good luck on your future subs!

I also have a registry set started, but I don't devote much time or resources to it, just usually adding a card here and there whenever a seller that I'm already making a purchase from has some 71s in their additional items for sale. I'm 11% complete with a GPA of 6.76. I look for minimum grades of 6/8OC, and the price has to be agreeable.

Here are some photos of the highlights in my registry set in progress, either because they are stars/cards of note, or are my nicest grades. These were all purchased already graded.

@countdouglas your cards are very just as stunning in the holders! Real beauties! I’m going to do what I can to build a set in NM air better, but still have a long ways to go. Thanks for sharing!

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some high end 8s in there. Nice centering on the Boog. That's a tough one to get well centered. I own the currently ranked #6 set. It took a lot of work to complete it in 8 or better. I purchased several high grade sets and singles and pulled off a few trades to finally knock out the set. Here are all the regular player horizontal cards in the set (not including team cards, post season, etc). Not sure why they chose to only do 8 cards for the entire set.

edited August 12, 2019 7:58AM

Here are some highlights from my set. I pulled the rose on the right from a rack pack about 6-7 years ago.

I'd still like to upgrade some of the star cards where I didn't have multiple examples to pick from.

@gemint WOW! Some SERIOUS goals for me collecting! That Munson... wow. Very nice! Same with both of the rose cards! I’m gonna start building my submission list tonight; any tips for submitting? Think I’d be ok submitting a bulk order of potential high- grade commons? Congrats on those black beauties!

@gemint Interesting how all 8 landscape cards are from only three teams.

It is interesting. I'm thinking there was a specific photographer tasked with taking the horizontal photos and he/she went to only a few games to get the photos.

Here are more highlights from my set.

gemint, how is that Blyleven not a 9?

@JoeBanzai said:
    gemint, how is that Blyleven not a 9?

It has a bubble on the surface. I had submitted for review at a show PSA was grading and got the feedback from them about why it didn't bump. I still think 8.5 would be appropriate.

• CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2019 6:46PM

I love the 71s. Can I still play even though mine arent slabbed (yet), but autographed? My intention is to get them slabbed through a bulk order once I have more.

• CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2019 6:48PM

And here are some non-HOFer autographed 71s.

@Cooptown said:
    I love the 71s. Can I still play even though mine arent slabbed (yet), but autographed? My intention is to get them slabbed through a bulk order once I have more.

Heck ya! Those autos are sweet!!

• RobbyRobby Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Love the '71's ...………….I have a set listed in the Registry , but
    not really pursuing to try to complete this monster set ! I am currently
    listed at # 133 out of 169 sets registered ………...4.79% completion with a GPA of 7.48 !!!!!
    Robbie's 1971 Black Beauties ……………..I have submitted some '71's in the past , never receiving
    anything higher then a Psa 8 ……………….really tough graders on the '71's ! Here's my Tim McCarver
    I purchased a while back ……..

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

!

Robbie's 1971 Black Beauties ……………..I have submitted some '71's in the past , never receiving
    anything higher then a Psa 8 ……………….really tough graders on the '71's ! Here's my Tim McCarver
    I purchased a while back ……..

That is a nice looking PSA 8 McCarver. Wow. I would think an 8.5 for that card all day.

edited August 21, 2019 8:49AM
  • jessherronjessherron Posts: 182 ✭✭

Found this thread. Have my first batch of 71's to send in when PSA reopens from the virus. Obviously, quite the challenge for high grades (youve shown some gorgeous cards in this thread).

Looking forward to participating once I get them back.

1981 Topps in Process
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessherron said:
    Found this thread. Have my first batch of 71's to send in when PSA reopens from the virus. Obviously, quite the challenge for high grades (youve shown some gorgeous cards in this thread).

Looking forward to participating once I get them back.

You better pack a lunch, my sub is now well into month number 5.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Gentleman I also love the 1971 Topps BB. It is the only full set I am doing. mainly because I love challenges and have a tree out back that grows money To make matters ever worse I try for almost dead centering and minimal white chipping in psa 8. Also I need another copy of all the NY Yankees and HOFers. During this down time I am organizing my cards. I pulled all my1971's and put them in numerical order. Fortunately I have been working off a checklist so I found only about 25 doubles am about 80% done however that means nothing as some of the ones I need are very pricey commons, Clemente, Rose, Bench, Munson...….

Good luck to all doing this great set !!!!!!

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • jlazjlaz Posts: 4

I'm interested and curious about the Thurman Munson high grade? anyone have any like asa 8 or higher. I found some in bvg on eBay but not sure. thoughts. beautiful card

Started picking up some 71s again....

• Yes I would like to be part of the 71 thread. I am very passionate about 71s. I started my 71 set on the registry almost 20 years ago. I've been moving very slowly. Putting together this set is on the top of my bucket list. I am now making progress on this set.

• sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 442 ✭✭✭

Just sold my 1971 Baseball near set to a very nice man....

704 of 752 will soon become available on Ebay (I think) and they are really nicely centered 71's including the high numbers.
    I finally came to the realization that I would never find a Raymond/Regan/Fitzmorris or Fingers I would be happy with centering-wise or price-wise (I'm a centering freak...). Heck, I could hardly find any of the others I was looking for that met my centering expectations and I've been looking every day! And getting an 8 out of PSA is frustrating as hell to say the least... I got tired of cracking 7's and 7.5's for the bump on cards that were 8's every day on submissions five years ago when I started the bear.

Also missed the boat on the nice psa 8's Munson, Clemente, Bench, Rose, Blyleven and Ryan - They've almost doubled in price within the last COVID-year.

So I decided to take the cash and invest in several nice Mantles/Ted Williams/Mays/Koufax, etc. when they become available.

I still have a nice 75% complete 1971 raw set that should cushion the separation anxiety that I can complete over the next year or two....

Good luck to all that are going after this monster!

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

In case anyone is interested, I just added a post to BS&T selling 88 of 109 high numbers mainly in VG to EX condition.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports

I’ve submitted 4 71’s and 3 came back an 8 and one a 9! I have a 37 card bulk sub I’m hoping all come back 8’s to 9’s but will be happy with what I get. Here’s one I just added to my set:

Just got this back from grading yesterday:

ANYONE can be apart of this thread; it’s for those who are passionate about this year too! Happy collecting to all!

I’m always looking for NM/MT+ in raw too, if anyone ever has any for sale drop me a pm!