Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Slab condition as indicator of value

messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you're contemplating a purchase, are you at all influenced by the condition of the slab? I don't mean just the $12 it'll cost to get a trashed slab reholdered, but do you see all the scuff marks and hear the words of an esteemed former member, "endlessly whored around the bourse," thus indicating the coin is dreck that is desperately looking for an end user?

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally doesn’t bother me. Don’t care if it’s been passed around every other day as long as it’s a good coin and a good value.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the older holders like the rattlers just got "ratty" easily.
    I have many rattlers that I purchased back in the 80's that look like cr@p and I know they
    didn't get passed around too much before I got them and they are still pretty scuffed up.
    So I don't really see that as a negative other than making viewing the coin a little tougher.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's a really rare coin; I'm not real concerned about the condition of the slab. But for a cheaper coin; I won't buy one with chips, cracks or ripped hologram. And 'no' a heavily worn slab does not automatically indicate to me that the coin is dreck and that's why it's been handled a lot.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every coin I buy is already old (and many have lived a life of being passed around). Slab condition is way down the list of things I’m looking for or thinking of.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, it’s really only a concern if it’s a widget.

If it’s a rare/difficult coin, no concern at all, as I’ll just reholder it.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll buy cracked slabs and keep them if I like the coin in them.

Blackberry pie out!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thought crosses my mind...that it has been tossed across the bourse table often and carelessly. But I've seen enough badly scratched slabs with coins I liked that I tend to blame negligent owners first.

I can usually rescue the slab with a little TLC.
    Lance.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2020 9:00PM

As long as the slab isn't cracled, no problem. The slab did it's job and protected the coin from being damaged.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve had coins consigned to me where the slab was garbage and I know my consignor sent it in. Some people just test their stuff like garbage, so I wouldn’t assume a bad slab is by default not fresh. If I really can’t see the coin I might have an issue, but that’s also in part because I’m not buying a coin I can’t see—I can’t enjoy it as much and I don’t know what I’m missing when I buy it, which could be an unwelcome surprise.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like damaged slabs and will pass because of that.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends more on the coin inside the holder. This is why I am on this journey. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin first then the slab. Jmo

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I can see the coin to properly evaluate it, the slab would not be a consideration (can always reslab). If not, I would likely just pass...Cheers, RickO

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    The thought crosses my mind...that it has been tossed across the bourse table often and carelessly. But I've seen enough badly scratched slabs with coins I liked that I tend to blame negligent owners first.

I can usually rescue the slab with a little TLC.
    Lance.

This is really what I'm thinking. Part of the first impression of a coin is the holder it's in. If the slab is trashed, I have to get past it and the reason for it to see the coin, which is often just fine, but the issue wouldn't be on my mind at all if the slab had been taken care of or repolished.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    When you're contemplating a purchase, are you at all influenced by the condition of the slab? I don't mean just the $12 it'll cost to get a trashed slab reholdered, but do you see all the scuff marks and hear the words of an esteemed former member, "endlessly whored around the bourse," thus indicating the coin is dreck that is desperately looking for an end user?

I care more about the quality of the CAC sticker! That's where the real value is. ;)

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2020 12:14PM

As long as I can see the coin well enough, I don't care. I will factor in the cost of reholdering it in my offer price though.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

A beat up slab may mean the coin has gotten a lot of attention. Nice coins tend to get a lot of attention.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to look for early slabs in pristine condition. Maybe beat up slabs were struggling for a home or a careless owner or two. The early pristine slab sat in a collection prized by few careful owners most likely one owner, I like finding those.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    A beat up slab may mean the coin has gotten a lot of attention. Nice coins tend to get a lot of attention.

Or it may mean that despite all the attention it got, nobody ever cared enough about the coin to make the slab presentable.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

One show dealer is fanatical about keeping his coins protected by plastic sleeves. It shouldn't be that hard to handle coin slabs right. However the perfect may be the enemy of the good, I don't generally judge a book by its cover.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2020 1:49PM

Slabs can be polished.

I will never turn down what is, in my judgement, a great coin in a beat to crap slab.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    JmisJmis Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

I hate stickers on slabs and I hate scratches on slabs. Like said above, small zip lock bags work wonders. If I really like the coin I will give it a shot at regrade and then it automatically gets a new holder. From NGC at least not sure on PCGS

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the coin is clearly seen, then the slab condition isn’t a big concern.

I do protect mine in small clear baggies. Good for me, but also good if I sell a coin. All would prefer to have a clear view.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Can’t understand a scuffed slab in the first place. Companies sell baggies to put slabs in. Slide them out to look and slide it back in to store. $.2 to protect a $1000 coin isn’t asking much.

I use and like those, but in a pinch a sandwich baggie is better than nothing.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 5:34AM

I bought a coin from someone that had a clear static, protective covering over both slab windows.
    It had the name of the dealer around the edge.

I thought that was pretty darn cool.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 10:00AM

I consider them problem material.

It is a no go for me. It is expense to get coins reholdered (fees plus shipx & ins) with narrow spreads forced due to current market. Certainly I would deduct on offer for take it all or pass group of coins / estate.

Damaged, chipped, scratched, scuffed slab = problem selling = reholder expense = pass for me. I have too many other choices when buying take in somebody’s problem. What I expect: Take care of them and get bad slabs reholdered.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file