Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Let's see some rare golf cards/mem!

2»

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great adds, all! Several have me drooling. I know one has already been shown in this thread, but I'm only aware of 10-15 changing hands for as long as Worthpoint goes back to (including a couple of private sales). I'm happy to join the club with @ahopkins with a full color calendar that just arrived today ...

1974 Little Caesars (I think that's a Big Red RC on there also!)

The 1973 version also featured a multi-sport set including a golfer, Lee Trevino that year. And the 1974's come in two versions, with the full color obviously more attractive, but the baby blue a bit more difficult to locate of an already incredibly tough one to track down. Wish I could thank @begsu1013 publicly here for parting with one, but sadly he got red boxed ...

One left to go to complete my Little Caesars golfer run and hopefully PSA can be convinced to grade them one of these days.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kyle, that's a beautiful and rare piece. Cherish it always.

Andy

• Options

I was really happy to locate a pair of these a few years back, both graded PSA 4, and I knew they were lower grade and didn't care based on scarcity. I've since upgraded my Jack all the way to a 5 ...

and just recently landed this one that should be a significant upgrade for Arnie (already off to PSA now) ...

A total of 20 graded currently, but I haven't been able to find out any info on how these were produced or distributed. I've seen via a magazine suggested, and others are guessing passed out at perhaps a tournament or other golf event. The backs have nice bios, but no manufacturer or copyright info, so the only things I have to go on are the reference in the Smedley/Berdock golf guides ...

or perhaps someone can dig up something I haven't been able to find by the artist's name on the fronts 'J McQueen'. This set is a mystery I would love to solve.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Orel Hershiser....golf card.

• Options

@Chicago1976 said:

Rypien has one in the Pinnacle FB set from that year too ;)

When it rains it pours, after a few years of searching to find the first, it only took a few months for the next one to show up. I was able to snag another 74 Little Caesars calendar, so now I won't feel bad about cutting one, and added a complete 73 to go with my Trevino single ...

The 73 also features Wilt, Bench, and Namath

The hunt continues for a 74 non-color & 75 to wrap up the run.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@Chicago1976 said:

When it rains it pours, after a few years of searching to find the first, it only took a few months for the next one to show up. I was able to snag another 74 Little Caesars calendar, so now I won't feel bad about cutting one, and added a complete 73 to go with my Trevino single ...

WHAAAAAATTTT???? Holy crap, Kyle. I kneel before thee.

Andy

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap, that’s huge!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Wish I could thank @begsu1013 publicly here for parting with one, but sadly he got red boxed ...

One left to go to complete my Little Caesars golfer run and hopefully PSA can be convinced to grade them one of these days.

I’m seeing him tonight, I will tell him!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@Chicago1976 said:

Looks like they spelled Johnny Bench "Johnnie". On all his cards it's Johnny.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

back to vintage mode:

• Options

still hadnt found another of this hagen and helen keller (acting as a tee) card:

• Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭

Ron, I don't know if you found your Empreza Hagen among your mountain of golf cards. I am pretty sure you got that one from me when I sold off my collection. It was PSA graded, it is still the only one I have ever come across.

Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭

Also, I went and dug this one up from what now seems forever ago....when I still was building and had a monumental golf collection before selling it off.

Most of the photos are long since gone, but it is still a good read to see some of the early stories of PSA golf card grading.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/426248/the-official-vintage-golf-card-thread/p1

Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options

it's as if i've seen some of these cards on the first page before!

almost like i sent a few down to a guy in florida, perhaps!

😉

• Options

Finally tracked down one of these Max Schmeling (misspelled Schmelling on all the Exhibits I've seen) golf Exhibits ...

I believe based on the back (postcard w/coupon), this is a 1929-1930 Exhibit issue. Perhaps @AGBCWriter can confirm. Now I'll have to see if I can locate or if one even exists of the 1931-1932 Premiums Ad back. @blurryface Does yours have the same back?

• Options

Nice, love Exhibits!

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 11:49AM

@LarkinCollector said:
    Finally tracked down one of these Max Schmeling (misspelled Schmelling on all the Exhibits I've seen) golf Exhibits ...

I believe based on the back (postcard w/coupon), this is a 1929-1930 Exhibit issue. Perhaps @AGBCWriter can confirm. Now I'll have to see if I can locate or if one even exists of the 1931-1932 Premiums Ad back. @blurryface Does yours have the same back?

i did not know you were looking for "cheddar bob". i have a couple i coulda sent ya, albeit not in that condition. thing looks amazing. a lot of them have a hole punched thru them.

• Options

I wasn't looking for a cheddar bob until perusing my Exhibits book late the other night and decided to jump on eBay. Auction was ending soon and went fairly cheap. I think I'm down to Sarazen and Babe as far as athlete Exhibits go for the wantlist, though I'm not sure I'll want to pay the price if I see either.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    I wasn't looking for a cheddar bob until perusing my Exhibits book late the other night and decided to jump on eBay. Auction was ending soon and went fairly cheap. I think I'm down to Sarazen and Babe as far as athlete Exhibits go for the wantlist, though I'm not sure I'll want to pay the price if I see either.

thank jeebus they are oversized. i got redonk money for the sarazen! i wonder if babe is in there somewhere...

• Options

@blurryface said:

@LarkinCollector said:

thank jeebus they are oversized. i got redonk money for the sarazen! i wonder if babe is in there somewhere...

It's in the 32 Champions set, the famous Olympic image of her ready the throw the javelin that's been used on dozens of cards since. Since it's not technically golf related, I'm not sure if Jim would have been interested.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 2:54PM

@LarkinCollector said:

@blurryface said:

@LarkinCollector said:

It's in the 32 Champions set, the famous Olympic image of her ready the throw the javelin that's been used on dozens of cards since. Since it's not technically golf related, I'm not sure if Jim would have been interested.

oh, he's got just about every babe card in there. the m&ms, kodak, coke cards that share the same image. even the old school german cards...

eta: keep telling ya, you just need to buy the rest of it from me... 😉

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    Holy crap, that’s huge!

that's what she said

• Options

Stephen, that Rory is unreal!
    Never get sick of seeing it.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    Stephen, that Rory is unreal!
    Never get sick of seeing it.

thank you Dan!

• Options

@blurryface said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@blurryface said:

@LarkinCollector said:

oh, he's got just about every babe card in there. the m&ms, kodak, coke cards that share the same image. even the old school german cards...

eta: keep telling ya, you just need to buy the rest of it from me... 😉

Shoot me a $#.

Also, PM me your address. I've got something on the way that should fill a set need for ya, if you know when to hold 'em. ;)

• Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Got this in person back in 2012

• Options
    edited January 23, 2021 10:36AM

JT has been in the news as of late, and he wasn't exactly garnering the type of attention he would've liked

without getting into all the details (google if you're unaware) and taking everything into consideration (what happened......how it happened......where it happened.......and what type of dude i perceive him to be based on years of empirical evidence), my brief thoughts are.............my goodness is anyone allowed to make a mistake anymore without it seeming like a public lynching is in the offing

i call this type of card a Halley's Comet.............comes around about once every 75 years

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2021 7:07AM

I know the cards wouldn’t grade well, but happy to have them.

• Options

@erba said:
    I know the cards wouldn’t grade well, but happy to have them.

Congrats again, and thanks for sharing the scans!

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

From Cal Ripken Jr.'s & Tony Gwynn's HOF Induction weekend in 2007, here is Mike Schmidt's Golf Bag ID tag (Leatherstocking Golf Course):

imageimage

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

Between you and Dan, I've got some bag tags to chase. Pretty awesome to land the Schmidt!

• Options

Aaaaaand, just realized I missed the opportunity to say "That's cool as Schmidt!" Shame on me.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    Aaaaaand, just realized I missed the opportunity to say "That's cool as Schmidt!" Shame on me.

exactly, so take your schmidt and get!

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

btw: yes. both have that same back...

• Options

That Schmidt/Gwynn/Ripken tag is SWEET!

Yaz Master Set