Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Let's see some rare golf cards/mem!

Singles, packs, boxes, equipment, scarce, condition rarity, whatever you got. I just got this one in today, so I'll use it so start things off.

2005 Ford Phil's on the Phone promotional card - From a 3 card set, pack issued, no idea how they were distributed exactly. Set also includes Phil Mickelson and Toby Keith, I've got both of those ordered from COMC, as well as an unopened pack on the way from eBay.

Article detailing the promotion: https://www.motortrend.com/news/news050309-fordphil-2/
And a YouTube of one of the Toby/Phil commercials:
https://youtu.be/oruW3wFVD1w

Comments

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

Picked this up earlier this year from an eBay seller who I've bought from in the past. He said this came from an estate sale (don't they always come from an estate "find"?)

From what I can tell, the signature is a sharpie (it didn't come pre-printed on the litho) -- but I have no idea if it is authentic.

I felt the framing job was excellent and worth the $40 (plus $20 shipping). I actually have some items I want to put into the frame.

It is solid wood and weighs a ton. Measures 21" x 31" on the outside, inside is 13" x 22.5". Glass on front.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2020 3:04PM

@DotStore said:
    From what I can tell, the signature is a sharpie (it didn't come pre-printed on the litho) -- but I have no idea if it is authentic.

It's good ;)

I was going to say mid-late 70s, but if that's Greg Norman in the lower right as it appears to be, that would likely bump it a decade. Sadly, I don't see my man Seve on there.

ETA: It's a 1978 print, so must not be Norman. From Olman's Encyclopedia of Golf Collectibles (2nd Edition/1985) ...

• Options

Nice -- your first thought was right on target - mid-late 70's. Thanks for finding that. :)

• Options
    edited August 18, 2020 4:59PM

One more for today.

1979 Venorlandus Our Heroes World of Sport - Arnold Palmer Blank Back/Square Cut Proof
    I only personally know of 2-3 of these in existence, but suspect there may be up to 10 out in the wild somewhere. It seems like Arnie would have been a perfect fit for a set of this timeframe, but he wasn't included w/Nicklaus, Faldo, Seve, Trevino, Watson, & Player making it in the final set.

Did Arnie reject the caricature depiction? Was it money? I'm guessing there were only going to be 6 golfers included in the final set, so who would have been bumped to make room for Arnie? So many questions on this one.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kyle gets tired of seeing this. But I don't.

Andy

• Options

@ahopkins said:
    Kyle gets tired of seeing this. But I don't.

I'll never get tired of seeing it, I just wish I could hold it and love it as my own ;) My blue copy will have to do for now.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

stole this floor display poster from a liquor store this past weekend. when we got to the car my girlfriend informed me that i missed a price variant, so i walked back in and stole it too. if these guys start signing again before i die i'm going to track Koepka down

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    when we got to the car my girlfriend informed me that i missed a price variant

That's a darned good girlfriend. Time to ring that girl.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2020 7:24PM

@LarkinCollector said:

I was going to say mid-late 70s, but if that's Greg Norman in the lower right as it appears to be, that would likely bump it a decade. Sadly, I don't see my man Seve on there.

ETA: It's a 1978 print, so must not be Norman. From Olman's Encyclopedia of Golf Collectibles (2nd Edition/1985) ...

Johnny Miller is lower right Kyle- Johnny Miller. Your too young maybe :D

Some recent slabs I'll dig out older stuff later down the road.

• Options

@jeffv96masters said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Johnny Miller is lower right Kyle- Johnny Miller. Your too young maybe :D

Some recent slabs I'll dig out older stuff later down the road.

Doh, I've only got his distant #2 Master set (out of three "competitors"): https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset/228026

Pak is my fav out of that batch, wow how the world has changed with Korean golfers on the LPGA. No diss to the Walrus or others (except you Jesper).

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@galaxy27 said:
    when we got to the car my girlfriend informed me that i missed a price variant

That's a darned good girlfriend. Time to ring that girl.

sharing is caring!

• Options

@jeffv96masters i really, really dig those gear cards brother

i'm trying to get my sanitized hands on more of these, but they rarely surface

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good looking golf items.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    One more for today.

1979 Venorlandus Our Heroes World of Sport - Arnold Palmer Blank Back/Square Cut Proof
    I only personally know of 2-3 of these in existence, but suspect there may be up to 10 out in the wild somewhere. It seems like Arnie would have been a perfect fit for a set of this timeframe, but he wasn't included w/Nicklaus, Faldo, Seve, Trevino, Watson, & Player making it in the final set.

Did Arnie reject the caricature depiction? Was it money? I'm guessing there were only going to be 6 golfers included in the final set, so who would have been bumped to make room for Arnie? So many questions on this one.

You CANNOT leave Arnie out of any type of set.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fore!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited August 19, 2020 7:15AM

@dustinspeaks said:
    World Golf Hall of Famer, 1992 Foster's Sporting Greats Laura Davies. It's in the pop report. Pop 3. She has 1 earlier card that is a pop 2 in the pop report. One being a Q. It's a beer coaster.

I believe the beer coasters were 1991 (I've got a set of those too), but don't have confirmation on those. The 1992's in the pop report are tobacco-ish sized cards released in crimped foil packs (same images as the beer coasters with different cropping) ...

The earlier has a + in the pop report ;) Both were my subs. PSA doesn't designate, but Davies was in the much rarer booster set, not part of the main game set.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Fore!

Only four in the pop report too, though I might know where another raw copy resides ;)

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

I don’t own either of these but these are 2 of the hardest to find golf cards that ever tried tracking down. I’ve never even seen the Hagen card

1925 Empreza Walter Hagen
    1968 Mira Arnold Palmer

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

@eagles33 said:
    I don’t own either of these but these are 2 of the hardest to find golf cards that ever tried tracking down. I’ve never even seen the Hagen card

1925 Empreza Walter Hagen
    1968 Mira Arnold Palmer

Agreed, I'd love to even see what the Empreza looks like. Zen's Mira is the only one of those I've seen, but $11.5k seems steep for a PSA 1.

• Options

Currently holding the top spot in my "Ugliest Golf Card Ever Issued" is this 1908 American Tobacco (T114) classic ...

A total of 6 copies graded currently with a 7Q being the highest. There is at least one other back variation for their Fore 'n 'Aft brand, and quite possibly others, though it doesn't seem that PSA recognizes them.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2020 11:24AM

And to get that hideous image out of my head, how about some more Arnie ...

I really have no idea what this is. The seller listed it as "1961 Sports Illustrated Color Print" and included "RARE". For most sellers, I kind of laugh and discount it in a listing, but from Columbia City/cocico on eBay, it holds some weight. It's shrink wrapped to cardboard and I'm tempted to remove it to see if there's any additional info on the back. A cool looking piece regardless and may end up framed with some other Arnie items at some point in the future. It's just shy of 5" wide and a touch over 11.5" tall.

• Options

The US Mint (USMINT.gov) sells bronze medals for Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer. They come in 2 sizes (3" and 1.5"). This is what the medals look like (Front and Back)

• Options
    edited August 19, 2020 3:27PM

@DotStore said:
    The US Mint (USMINT.gov) sells bronze medals for Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer. They come in 2 sizes (3" and 1.5"). This is what the medals look like (Front and Back)

Those are pretty awesome! Though, I do wish they'd followed a similar design for both. Are they available for sale now?

I've been "stacking " silver since early this year and decided to pick up some combo items that satisfy my golf collecting also ...

Biggest over spot premium I've paid so far, but worth every penny to me.

ETA: I have no clue on getting decent images of "coins" so apologies for the poor scans.

• Options

Yes they still sell them. $6.95 for the small ones. And $39.95 for the larger ones.

• Options

@dustinspeaks said:
    Here's another World Golf Hall of Famer. Mildred "Babe" Didrikson. I think these are her RCs. Not so much a golf card though.

All Babe additions are welcome here! She has a bunch of 1932 issues, including some I have yet to find a checklist for like the Confreia and a Dutch release.

• Options

@DotStore said:
    Yes they still sell them. $6.95 for the small ones. And $39.95 for the larger ones.

Order placed for all the golfers in both sizes, including the Byron Nelson. I was able to find a 3" Palmer cheaper on eBay, the rest are coming from the Mint.

• Options
    Gator1Gator1 Posts: 18 ✭✭

I will try to dig out my empreza tomorrow. Also picked up the Hagen Crescent confectionary. Anything else anyone would like to see.

• Options

@Gator1 said:
    I will try to dig out my empreza tomorrow. Also picked up the Hagen Crescent confectionary. Anything else anyone would like to see.

Is this Ron? If so, there's many I would like to see (and trade spares rather than go the eBay route).

• Options

Yeah this is me. Just joined this forum.

• Options

I need to work to add pics of some of the rarer cards on psa. I have been thinking of writing a book on golf cards. Been working hard to get them all registered first.

• Options

If you're looking for a co-author/contributor, I've been investigating the web route, but I'm sure your knowledge of this stuff surpasses mine. I'm desperate for something newer than the Smedley/Berdock editions of the 90s.

• Options

Here is a toughly!

• Options

• Options

Not the greatest condition but extremely tough.

• Options

Still need to dig out the Hagen

• Options

Better photo

• Options

Those Empreza's have some great photography for the era.

In honor of regaining the world #1 with a -30 performance this past weekend ...

A /10, pop 1 dime

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@erikthredd said:
    Ha! I can finally add one lol.

If you ever upgrade or seen another, help a brother out ;)

• Options

I just bought a complete album and will be getting about 40 graded. Need the Jordan’s for my super and master set.

• Options

This is one I just got back this week.

• Options

I am terrible at photos

• Options

Some more Inreceived back this week

• Options

• Options

• Options

Thought this maybe would do a little better. At least it is the whole card. Brutally tough to find.

• Options

They were tough on this one too. Did not know this card existed till I found it. Wonder if the 1/1 is out there.

• Options

Getting closer to the set.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭