Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fixing scratches on psa case

In the past it has been mentioned of a product to help "take out" scratches on psa cases?

If they are to deep in plastic what do you guys use?

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
1948-76 Topps FB Sets
FB & BB HOF Player sets
1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been told WD-40 can work well to hide scratches but I can’t say I have tried it.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2020 7:28AM

If the scratches are deep there probably isn’t much you can do. The Meguiars will still make it look better but the scratches will likely still be visible.

• Options
    nebishnebish Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

If you have a less valuable and less desirable graded card case I would experiment...perhaps even creating a scratch on the back maybe and then try products to look for improvement. I know that there is a polish for plastic windows like on Jeep tops (called Novus) that can remove scuffs and reduce scratches. Just know that it could help, or it could hurt while you try and find the fix. Some products may make the plastic cloudy.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any remedies mentioned work for some scratches, but the deep ones won’t come out.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nebish said:
    If you have a less valuable and less desirable graded card case I would experiment...perhaps even creating a scratch on the back maybe and then try products to look for improvement. I know that there is a polish for plastic windows like on Jeep tops (called Novus) that can remove scuffs and reduce scratches. Just know that it could help, or it could hurt while you try and find the fix. Some products may make the plastic cloudy.

Agreed. Try some of the automotive remedies recommended for headlights scratches.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

I have not used this stuff, but it was discussed on these forums back in the day. Novus 2 will work on most scratches, while 3 would be for the deep stuff. Some folks here may have used this and can give some tips on how to use it.

https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7136-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UD0GIG/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1502345864&sr=1-2&keywords=novus+plastic+polish

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

I've used Meguiars Plast-X to buff out all the scratches in my PSA cases that needed it.

before and after

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you gentleman.
    I ordered online the Novus 1,2,3 formulas (not available locally)
    and will buy locally the Meguire's X2.0

I will let you all know what results I get

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2020 3:31PM

@jay0791 said:
    Thank you gentleman.
    I ordered online the Novus 1,2,3 formulas (not available locally)
    and will buy locally the Meguire's X2.0

I will let you all know what results I get

Cool. I would recommend trying these products on a case that you don't really care about first, just to make sure it doesn't make matter worse (at least with the Novus that I posted about). Just a thought.

Here's an old thread where Mike mentions the same product:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11963261#Comment_11963261

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2020 1:49AM

the Meguiars has no effect on the cases, as its meant to be used on plastic headlight lenses. Ive done a few cases and all of them have turned out perfect. Plast-X is a micro abrasive and has a lot of cut when it comes to scuffs and scratches on plastic.

here's two other deep scratches I took out with just some finger buffing with a micro fiber cloth and Plastic-X.

• Options

In most times like the Jeter PSA case above I can get the mark off by simply rubbing with a soft cloth.
    Meguire's will probably help that.

There is a product out there that actually fills in the case scratch. That changes reflectivity and "erases" the scratch. I think it is autobody related..

Ill try the 2 products.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

As promised here are the results

Novus 1,2,3 The 2 works ok but the Meguire's works slightly better. Overall it would be cheaper.
    The Novus 1 is basically a liquid cleaner. Works ok but a clean clothe works about the same.
    The Novus 3 was about the same as Meguire's.
    The scratches were deep and in the end I was able to help 90% but still you can see them. I knew that before I started.

You can get out most light scratches. The Novus 1 does clean up case and put a nice little shine to it.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2020 12:55PM

I just wanted to give this a bump. I just received an expensive card in the mail and the case was scratched up. Went out and purchased Meguiars Plast-X and it actually worked really good. So happy I came across this thread. Two thumbs up. Saved me $37 on reholdering ($8 + insurance included)

• Options
    The_DepartedThe_Departed Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited March 10, 2020 3:27PM

I use NOVUS 3 stage scratch remover with a Dremel buffing wheel. Designate 1 wheel to each stage and NEVER spray the clean & shine directly on the holder, only lightly dampen the wheel. Scuffs and light scratches disappear fast and the holder looks great when done, then afterwards, put it in a graded card sleeve.

Oh, just wanted to add, use the lowest speed setting possible! Carry on.

Currently seeking 1975 Hostess panels
    Got one, two, more? Let me know!!

• Options
    edited March 8, 2020 5:12AM

Glad this helped somebody.
    We all have had this problem.

Considering reholder, time and shipping...
    all the product here are a good choice.

The Departed has an added bonus with the buffing wheels.
    As he stated it is important to use a separate wheel per compound as any remaining more course particles could continue to scratch up the surface as you try to polish. Think of it as sandpaper.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:
    I just wanted to give this a bump. I just received an expensive card in the mail and the case was scratched up. Went out and purchased Meguiars Plast-X and it actually worked really good. So happy I came across this thread. Two thumbs up. Saved me $37 on reholdering ($8 + insurance included)

It works really well, especially if you want to save money. The only downside is that it can be a time investment to remove more severe scratches.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Great topic. Thanks for the information.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options

Anyone ever consider using like the edge of a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (like very gently and lightly) for scratches on a PSA case?

Seriously, the Magic Eraser does wonders every time I use it. The active ingredient in it is melamine foam. I'm not sure if that poses a greater risk to the case than the active ingredients in Meguiars.

I'll probably just play it safe and spring for some Meguiars as any card case I'd be cleaning isn't one with which to experiment.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2020 5:18AM

For those of you that have used Meguiars Plast-X are you applying it with a microfiber cloth?

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2020 6:10AM

@NGS428 said:
    For those of you that have used Meguiars Plast-X are you applying it with a microfiber cloth?

I apply it with a circular microfiber applicator pad and wipe it off with the microfiber cloth.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:

a cloth works jus fine. in fact, the PlastX kit comes with an orange cloth, fine sanding pads and a bottle of PlastX.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

@dictoresno said:

@NGS428 said:

a cloth works jus fine. in fact, the PlastX kit comes with an orange cloth, fine sanding pads and a bottle of PlastX.

I was looking at just the bottle.
    Meguiar's G12310 PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish, 10 Fluid Ounces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AY3SR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_496uFb88THSKV

You must be referring to the kit...
    Meguiar's Basic Headlight Restoration Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M35VXJ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fc7uFbY7GTMTF

• Options

@NGS428 said:

@dictoresno said:

@NGS428 said:

Meguiar's G12310 PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish, 10 Fluid Ounces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AY3SR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_496uFb88THSKV

Meguiar's Basic Headlight Restoration Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M35VXJ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fc7uFbY7GTMTF

correct, I got the kit. the sandpaper pads came in handy on extremely deep scratches.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

@dictoresno said:

@NGS428 said:

@dictoresno said:

@NGS428 said:

correct, I got the kit. the sandpaper pads came in handy on extremely deep scratches.

I purchased the kit and tried it on some slabs today. Worked pretty well. Thanks for the recommendation. I added the use of this to my scanning guide.

• Options

@NGS428 said:

@dictoresno said:

@NGS428 said:

@dictoresno said:

@NGS428 said:

I purchased the kit and tried it on some slabs today. Worked pretty well. Thanks for the recommendation. I added the use of this to my scanning guide.

awesome! yea ive only used the sanding pads once, as they are aggressive. however I have a slab that has a knife scratch down it and the pads helped a little but its too deep.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    edited September 13, 2020 8:22AM

@dictoresno said:

@NGS428 said:

@dictoresno said:

@NGS428 said:

@dictoresno said:

@NGS428 said:

awesome! yea ive only used the sanding pads once, as they are aggressive. however I have a slab that has a knife scratch down it and the pads helped a little but its too deep.

Yeah, the pads seemed a bit aggressive. The
    paste was actually less aggressive than I thought it would be, but once you get the hang of it it works well. Most people would probably be fine with only the microfiber towel and the PlastX.

• Options

@NGS428 said:

@dictoresno said:

@NGS428 said:

@dictoresno said:

@NGS428 said:

@dictoresno said:

@NGS428 said:

Yeah, the pads seemed a bit aggressive. The
    paste was actually less aggressive than I thought it would be, but once you get the hang of it it works well. Most people would probably be fine with only the microfiber towel and the PlastX.

theres no need for the pads under normal circumstances. PlastX is gritty enough as it is...sometimes even too gritty. sometimes I finish it off with Meguiars 205 as a semi finishing polish to smooth out the plastx if it leaves a slight cloudy look.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

This is very helpful. thank you all!

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

the problem is - on one of my PSA cases, the faint, almost imperceptible scratches are on the INSIDE of the case.......

aaaaargh!!