Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Simpson Sale #1

NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check your bookmarks. Many coins recently regraded.

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a case where ownership really does add a point? o:)

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up---i noticed some pop reports were not making sense on his coins. This explains it.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is he still using Heritage? i thought he would go with the Legend team.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:

Under the circumstances, maybe a third party made the decision.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nic said:
    Check your bookmarks. Many coins recently regraded.

Do you mean since the auction started or compared to the auction preview listings?

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options

Did some of the coins get upgraded but lost their CAC sticker at the new grade?

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1894 S dime crossed to PCGS PR-66!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2020 1:49PM

@Nic said:
    Many coins recently regraded.

How did they fare?

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 885 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Nic said:
    Many coins recently regraded.

How did they fare?

Considering who it is and what coins they are do you really PCGS did not "help" him out ... If you are one of the big "boys" possession gives you the point or so...
    Gradeflation for three but not for me.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2020 2:17PM

@Relaxn said:
    Considering who it is and what coins they are do you really PCGS did not "help" him out ... If you are one of the big "boys" possession gives you the point or so...
    Gradeflation for three but not for me.

I got a severe smack-down on my last two submissions so I'm going to hide in my safe room for awhile. :#

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:

I think Legend posted that he's going through a divorce and given his closeness to them, he was forced to choose someone else.

• Options

@Gazes said:

Interesting. I wonder if that will be a winning strategy or a fatal mistake. I guess it depends on the price spread between X grade and X+1.

• Options
    edited September 7, 2020 3:32PM

The 1894-S BM PF66 dime is a beauty. Wasn't it once in a PCGS PF65 holder?

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@Gazes said:

Interesting. I wonder if that will be a winning strategy or a fatal mistake. I guess it depends on the price spread between X grade and X+1.

It appears to have happened on some coins. Arguably maybe they did not have time to resubmit to cac. I know legend wrote articles about it being preferable to leave in the orignal holder with the cac sticker than getting an upgrade without the sticker.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Gazes said:

It appears to have happened on some coins. Arguably maybe they did not have time to resubmit to cac. I know legend wrote articles about it being preferable to leave in the orignal holder with the cac sticker than getting an upgrade without the sticker.

A lot of X+1s will CAC again at the X+1 level. Sometimes it takes some time for the database to be updated.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2020 5:39PM

@UltraHighRelief said:

20 years ago was a 64 IIRC. With that said, it’s the prettiest one

• Options

Serious question from a collector, NOT an insider, you all seriously believe PCGS gives better grades to wealthy collectors vs others...sounds like something very illegal, maybe I’m naive but cant think they purposely do this....

BAYOUBENGAL
    CFA, LSU AND ANA
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAYOUBENGAL said:
    Serious question from a collector, NOT an insider, you all seriously believe PCGS gives better grades to wealthy collectors vs others...sounds like something very illegal, maybe I’m naive but cant think they purposely do this....

I don’t think so. Collectors like Pogue and Simpson, and many others, buy high end coins that “could” be upgrade candidates. Also, they hold them a long time, which translate to a bump grade when sold. A lot has been written about grade inflation, so lets don’t go there. I would expect all of the Simpson upgrades deserve the bump. There are really high end material in that sale.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those that play in the high end strap your helmets on... clear market indicators coming...grade bump or not.

• Options

It would take a major conspiracy to pull this off...people would go to jail if this was true..literally

BAYOUBENGAL
    CFA, LSU AND ANA
  • Options

@BAYOUBENGAL said:
    It would take a major conspiracy to pull this off...people would go to jail if this was true..literally

Pfffft. It’s the TPG’s label and it’s an opinion.

• Options
    edited September 7, 2020 8:08PM

@MrEureka said:

@BAYOUBENGAL said:

I don't believe PCGS would intentionally favor any submitter. However, I have no doubt that there are many ways to game the system, and that the biggest submitters have figured out every angle on how to maximize their grades.

+1

On another note, most ultra rarities are graded liberally. Grade is less important than relative position in the condition census on these any way.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@BAYOUBENGAL said:

Not really. It's an opinion that people are known to rely upon. Prove that the opinion is less than honest and there's some serious liability.

Again, I'm not suggesting that the opinions are less than honest.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@BAYOUBENGAL said:

Not really. It's an opinion that people are known to rely upon. Prove that the opinion is less than honest and there's some serious liability.

Again, I'm not suggesting that the opinions are less than honest.

In the marketplace, I agree. In the courts, I don’t agree

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAYOUBENGAL said:

Impossible to prove.... But if I were a betting man...

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    edited September 7, 2020 9:30PM

@tradedollarnut said:

@MrEureka said:
    I'm not suggesting that the opinions are less than honest.

In the marketplace, I agree. In the courts, I don’t agree

The FTC didn't think so in the 1990s when it filed suit against a major coin certification company. There was a consent degree that would be violated if the opinions were not objective/honest although represented as such. I'm also NOT implying the opinions are anything other than honest nor am I implying that there is or ever was anything nefarious.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:

@BAYOUBENGAL said:

I don’t think so. Collectors like Pogue and Simpson, and many others, buy high end coins that “could” be upgrade candidates. Also, they hold them a long time, which translate to a bump grade when sold. A lot has been written about grade inflation, so lets don’t go there. I would expect all of the Simpson upgrades deserve the bump. There are really high end material in that sale.

I have never met Simpson, though I have heard he does know how to grade. I have purchased a few of his cast-offs, and tend to agree.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@UltraHighRelief said:

20 years ago was a 64 IIRC. With that said, it’s the prettiest one

Clearly we are in a period where eye appeal is increasingly weighty in the grading process, IMO as it should be.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last chance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file