Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

SGC Grading

Wanted to know your thoughts on quality of SGC grading of cards. Thanks.

PackManInNC

Comments

  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭

    My 2nd favorite card to own. I like the cases even better than PSA. Unfortunately, they do not get the $$$ PSA gets.

  • brad31brad31 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I am a fan of SGC and probably 30% of my cards are graded by them. I think their grading is very similar to PSA. However they are far less popular and their cards generally sell for less than PSA.

  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

    I just like the way their slabs look.

    PackManInNC
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I used to like them, but a somewhat recent sub experience with them and separate attempt to cross a couple of cards in their slabs to PSA have soured me. The black insert definitely makes light border color cards pop, especially tobacco-size issues.

  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

    Great cards at bargain prices.

  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2020 8:02AM

    I’d certainly buy their cards but will no longer submit to them - for a variety of reasons.

    The days of them having ‘better’ turnaround times are long, long gone.

    You can PM me for more details, @mexpo75

    Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

  • Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

    @1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I’d certainly buy their cards but will no longer submit to them - for a variety of reasons.

    The days of them having ‘better’ turnaround times are long, long gone.

    You can PM me for more details, @mexpo75

    yeah, there were a couple fools on Youtube a couple months back singing the praises of SGC turnaround times...well duh, they had a fraction of the cards to grade that PSA does and to a lesser extent BGS. Now that a lot of folks started sending their cards to SGC to get that "quick turnaround", that "quick turnaround" has now become a long waiting game, just as it is with PSA and BGS. Those people praising SGC were bashing PSA because of their slow turns -- they have now become pretty quiet lately as SGC has become backed up as well.

  • Man, I would never send cards off to a grader because of quicker turn around times.

    Previous CU user: jmmiller777
    Baseball HOFer's-PSA6+
    Heritage Sets
    Kellogg's Graded-PSA 8+
    60's Topps Sets-Raw
    Anything that Catches My Attention

  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2020 9:18PM

    As a submitter, why would you use a company that wont maximize the value of your collectible? Unless you are submitting pre-war cards, PSA is clearly the best option and it's not even debatable.

    As a buyer, though, you may find some bargains on nice cards because of the reduced value.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @grote15 said:
    As a submitter, why would you use a company that wont maximize the value of your collectible? Unless you are submitting pre-war cards, PSA is clearly the best option and it's not even debatable.

    As a buyer, though, you may find some bargains on nice cards because of the reduced value.

    To your point about using the best option. Some people are principle based. For whatever reason(s) the collector may have had a negative experience with PSA or just don't like their cases. Could be anything. Another example. Some collectors do not wish to do business with the top 2 Ebay card auction companies for whatever reason. Even though they probably are leaving money on the table by not doing so. Again the reason(s) may be principle in nature. I myself have taken less money in a sale/passed on a higher offer based on principle and also did not buy a good deal based on a principle. But that's just me. We all have our views on this and none are right or wrong. It's just a matter of choice.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BLUEJAYWAY said:

    @grote15 said:
    As a submitter, why would you use a company that wont maximize the value of your collectible? Unless you are submitting pre-war cards, PSA is clearly the best option and it's not even debatable.

    As a buyer, though, you may find some bargains on nice cards because of the reduced value.

    To your point about using the best option. Some people are principle based. For whatever reason(s) the collector may have had a negative experience with PSA or just don't like their cases. Could be anything. Another example. Some collectors do not wish to do business with the top 2 Ebay card auction companies for whatever reason. Even though they probably are leaving money on the table by not doing so. Again the reason(s) may be principle in nature. I myself have taken less money in a sale/passed on a higher offer based on principle and also did not buy a good deal based on a principle. But that's just me. We all have our views on this and none are right or wrong. It's just a matter of choice.

    Agreed. If you don't mind leaving money on the table or taking the hit in value based on principle, I can certainly understand that. But again, there's no question that as a submitter, you will maximize value by submitting your cards to PSA.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 912 ✭✭✭

    @grote15 said:

    Agreed. If you don't mind leaving money on the table or taking the hit in value based on principle, I can certainly understand that. But again, there's no question that as a submitter, you will maximize value by submitting your cards to PSA.

    Is this true? If I have a card that will get a 10 at Bill's Grading Company, but a 4 at PSA, what happens if a PSA 4 sells for $30 and a BGC 10 also sells for $30. Sure, the same grade in PSA will sell for more than that grade from anyone else, but isn't that because the other guy would likely give the same card a higher grade?

  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

    @daltex said:

    @grote15 said:

    Agreed. If you don't mind leaving money on the table or taking the hit in value based on principle, I can certainly understand that. But again, there's no question that as a submitter, you will maximize value by submitting your cards to PSA.

    Is this true? If I have a card that will get a 10 at Bill's Grading Company, but a 4 at PSA, what happens if a PSA 4 sells for $30 and a BGC 10 also sells for $30. Sure, the same grade in PSA will sell for more than that grade from anyone else, but isn't that because the other guy would likely give the same card a higher grade?

    In this case why would you want an overgraded off brand graded card that has no real resale value vs The leader in the industry? If it's principle then fine but if your building a collection that you will eventually sell or leave to your loved ones don't you want them to be able to sell it off easily because that's what they are going to do.....

    Collector Focus

    ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 196 ✭✭✭

    IMO, SGC grades "higher" than PSA and do not sell for a premium. Also, have you ever seen a SGC card with a qualifier?
    Many ST, PD, OC and min. size req. cards slabbed in SGC holders. I'm with the crowd of: why use a company that won't maximize the value of your collectible?

  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2020 6:47AM

    @daltex said:

    @grote15 said:

    Agreed. If you don't mind leaving money on the table or taking the hit in value based on principle, I can certainly understand that. But again, there's no question that as a submitter, you will maximize value by submitting your cards to PSA.

    Is this true? If I have a card that will get a 10 at Bill's Grading Company, but a 4 at PSA, what happens if a PSA 4 sells for $30 and a BGC 10 also sells for $30. Sure, the same grade in PSA will sell for more than that grade from anyone else, but isn't that because the other guy would likely give the same card a higher grade?

    If you have a 4 and want it to try and get it graded a 10, I suppose so, but SGC is not grading VG-EX cards as 10s. We are talking about legitimate grading companies and I would say that any card graded by Bill's Grading Company or any other basement operation where 4s are 10s would be too ridiculous to even consider.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭

    I'll buy a few SGC cards here and there; but don't like subbing anything with them. Too inconsistent. They have never grasped centering and it's importance. They are also lenient on the ones with tough colored borders...71, 62, 63 to name a few. I generally buy 7's from them that are centered.

  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

    SGC is a little inconsistent at times on the T206's from my experience. Some look great at a SGC 4 and some look horrible but have the same grade? Again buy the card, NOT the holder.

    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • DotStoreDotStore Posts: 434 ✭✭✭

    I've never submitted a card for grading to any of the TPG's. But I noticed last year that SGC no longer has a "guarantee" for their graded cards. The last time I looked at their Terms -- it looked like they dropped their Grade Guarantee when the whole conservation vs. Preservation debate came out (I don't even know what the final outcome was from all of that).

    I do like the black insert vs white-bordered cards. But those black inserts sometimes aren't cut smoothly, and a little "chad" or excess piece of cardboard can sometimes chip the card that is graded. It happened to one of my SGC 8.5 cards, and I think the damage in this instance brings the card down to an 8 at best.

    They do offer a 9.5 Grade -- I have a couple of cards that I think are better than a 9, but not quite a 10 (based on PSA Standards). So if I wanted that 9.5 I would have to go to SGC (or Beckett). I do think that SGC 9.5's of certain cards can sell better than PSA 9's. So in that regard I would opt for the SGC Grade if I think it could get a 9.5

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 22,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bobbyw8469 said:
    My 2nd favorite card to own. I like the cases even better than PSA. Unfortunately, they do not get the $$$ PSA gets.

    This sums it up perfectly

  • handymanhandyman Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭

    Case? Ehh. Here is a or was a high grade SGC 84 T202 Ty Cobb. Look next to the edge of O'Leary about 1 cm down from the corner where the SGC hold comes to play. OUCH.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1912-T202-Hassan-Triple-Folder-FAST-WORK-AT-THIRD-Ty-Cobb-OLeary-SGC-7-NM-HOF/124228084347?hash=item1cec92227b:g:mlEAAOSwEr9e6~61

  • Sportscards1086Sportscards1086 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

    Prime example of a nice white bordered card in this awesome holder

  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭

    I have personally seen the gasket be cut jagged and ruin an edge on an expensive card. Many are jagged. I hate the gasket.

  • craig44craig44 Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Also not a big fan of the gasket. As far as the holder for best protection, it has to be BGS. I love the inner sleeve that keeps the card from rattling around.

  • Can you reasonably expect an SGC 96 to be equivalent to a PSA 10 if you cracked and resubmitted with PSA? I have assumed the SGC 100 is more equivalent to the BGS 10 pristine.

  • DotStoreDotStore Posts: 434 ✭✭✭

    The SGC 96 is more like a 9. To have a shot at a crossover to PSA 10 you would need an SGC 98 or above.

Sign In or Register to comment.