Home Metal Detecting

Has anyone ever sold any finds?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

In all of my detecting career I’ve only sold two things (not including pocket change that went to the bank). One was a pewter revolutionary war USA button that I felt would be better preserved by a collector and another item that was an employee badge from a defunct company. I’ve been proud to never sell anything else. But now with metals prices up and having an abundance of bland common silver sitting around I find myself pondering the idea of selling the junk silver. I haven’t been detecting as much lately due to work and am wondering if it makes sense to sell the common stuff. I would keep the more valuable or interesting pieces though. What are your thoughts on selling your finds?

Comments

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would sell the 'junk' now, jmo

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless the find is special to you (where, how you found it. Significant history, attractive design), then selling is ok... Might as well turn that into cash. Cheers, RickO

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS
    If you cash some things in....take a group picture of them, you can remember them that way :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

I've found 430 U.S. silver coins in the last seven years. I have them all in crown size flips with inserts saying when and where each coin was found. It occurred to me recently that I might want to sell off all the duplicates and all the democrat dimes; however, I don't need the money and silver might go higher.

I don't think I have enough gold and silver jewelry to ship to a smelter; but, I'd be willing to part with the jewelry if I could sell it without a steep discount to melt.

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

@pcgs69 said:

But now with metals prices up and having an abundance of bland common silver sitting around I find myself pondering the idea of selling the junk silver.

Many of your finds from silver beach have been eroded by sand and salt water. I don't think you'd regret selling those to a smelter, unless the price of silver goes higher.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have.

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

@Bayard1908 said:

@pcgs69 said:

But now with metals prices up and having an abundance of bland common silver sitting around I find myself pondering the idea of selling the junk silver.

Many of your finds from silver beach have been eroded by sand and salt water. I don't think you'd regret selling those to a smelter, unless the price of silver goes higher.

True, almost all of the silver from that beach are toast and I don’t think a single one is a key date or worth more than silver value. Like you, every one is in a 2x2 with the date found, year, where found etc. so not sure I have the motivation to break them out one by one.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver goes up, silver goes down.... Trying to predict a peak is hopeless. Just sell when you want to clear things out and silver is at a good price.... heck, last year it was $12/toz....today it is $26.77.... Chasing peaks is a losing game. Cheers, RickO