Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Yes Another One of Those-Guess the Grade

Fire away!

Comments

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2020 2:03PM

Note the 2 tiny white dots are not there, must be the light/shadows. I will tell you the surface is flawless. The back is also clean.

• Options

Assuming it was graded recently, a really, really nice 5. Possibly with MC qualifier because it has blue borders on both sides of the reverse.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess would be 5.

• Options
    MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

• Options
    tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

5 on most days, the two bottom corners could push it to 4.5 on a bad day.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    dtmodeldtmodel Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA 6.

Not what I think, just what I believe it is.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    PSA 6.

Is that a Yogi-ism?

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2020 4:39PM

I will wager this received a 4 mainly for the rounded corner on the bottom right. With that said, finding a centered 1961 Fleer Jerry West is about as tough as it gets. Beautiful card.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@nam812 said:
    PSA 6.

Is that a Yogi-ism?

No it isn't. What I mean is that I believe he is showing it because it's a PSA 6. He did ask for a guess though, so I will say 5 or 5.5

The reason I believe he is showing us a PSA 6 is that I've subbed a few of these, and they always came back just slightly better than I thought they would. I'm sure it doesn't, but I've always felt that this card gets a tiny bit of leeway in the grading room.

Now that I've said all that I'm sure the reveal will be a PSA 3. :D

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA 4 at best. lIkely a 3.5.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is going on with the back? Is that serious edge wear or staining in the blue?

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barring any surface issues that can't be seen in your pic, 5.

Andy

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

• Options

@nam812 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@nam812 said:
    PSA 6.

Is that a Yogi-ism?

No it isn't. What I mean is that I believe he is showing it because it's a PSA 6. He did ask for a guess though, so I will say 5 or 5.5

The reason I believe he is showing us a PSA 6 is that I've subbed a few of these, and they always came back just slightly better than I thought they would. I'm sure it doesn't, but I've always felt that this card gets a tiny bit of leeway in the grading room.

Now that I've said all that I'm sure the reveal will be a PSA 3. :D

Here is a copy of my PSA 4. I seriously doubt it is a 6. If it is a PSA 6 I need to send my PSA 4 back in. Regardless of the grade it is a sweet looking West rookie.

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

3.5 or 4 Nice card.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I'd guess between 4 - 5 on the OP

For the PSA 4 example above, that's a great looking 4! Some surface issues such as minor scratches and paper wrinkles, but eye appeal is very high on that one

• Options
    edited September 4, 2020 1:50PM

The result is: I was hoping for a 6, happy with a 5 but very disappointed that it is a 4. Apparently PSA only cares about corners when grading cards like this. All 4 corners have touches, but none jump out at you and the centering, surface etc are flawless, When you look at other 4’s with 90/10 centering, rounded/dinged corners, bad surfaces and compare them to this one I just have to shake my head. It is what it is. I did have some good news, on the same sub I sent in 3 broken out 7’s and they came back 8, 8, and 8.5. Anyone think it is a good idea to break out the West and resubmit?

• Options
    edited September 4, 2020 2:22PM

Is there a wrinkle on the right edge going to the S in Angels?
    Might be why? hard to see
    Card is nice though

ACTUALLY. I see a crease bottom right boarder close to the armpit but does not reach it. Like 1 1/2 cm long from the edge.

• Options

PSA 4 almost always means a surface issue. Sometimes the issue is not really visible once in the slab. I've had a few with very minor scuffing that is only visible under magnification.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

My 67 year old eyes are getting too old for this. That is why at this point I will probably only purchase already graded cards.

PackManInNC
  • Options

Card has a wrinkle and is accurately graded. Will get a premium for centering for sure.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2020 8:32PM

I guess 5. It's a nice looking card but the corners seem frayed to me.

• Options
    edited September 4, 2020 11:30PM

@handyman said:
    Is there a wrinkle on the right edge going to the S in Angels?
    Might be why? hard to see
    Card is nice though

ACTUALLY. I see a crease bottom right boarder close to the armpit but does not reach it. Like 1 1/2 cm long from the edge.

Handyman, I think you are looking at jbrules card that he posted, not mine.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very likely a surface issue. Perhaps, a tiny scratch or wrinkle. Also, the chipping on the left edge may be more serious than my eyes can detect.

Andy

• Options

How about the big reveal?

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

PSA 5 MC

• Options

@ElvisP said:
    The result is: I was hoping for a 6, happy with a 5 but very disappointed that it is a 4. Apparently PSA only cares about corners when grading cards like this. All 4 corners have touches, but none jump out at you and the centering, surface etc are flawless, When you look at other 4’s with 90/10 centering, rounded/dinged corners, bad surfaces and compare them to this one I just have to shake my head. It is what it is. I did have some good news, on the same sub I sent in 3 broken out 7’s and they came back 8, 8, and 8.5. Anyone think it is a good idea to break out the West and resubmit?

As far as cracking it out and subbing I think you run a real risk of card coming back min size req. 61 fleers are known for being short. If it were me I would keep it as is and enjoy it. The risk reward on cracking this one out favors more risk in my opinion.

• Options
    edited September 5, 2020 7:51PM

@Piggs said:
    How about the big reveal?

It was posted 8 posts above yours, you missed it, lol. It was a 4.

• Options

@JBrules said:

@ElvisP said:

As far as cracking it out and subbing I think you run a real risk of card coming back min size req. 61 fleers are known for being short. If it were me I would keep it as is and enjoy it. The risk reward on cracking this one out favors more risk in my opinion.

Yes I think you are right. There is always a risk with these cards of the dreaded min. size. Like yours if we ever want to sell them they should bring a premium for the centering and eye appeal. Like they say buy the card not the holder. 👍

• Options

@ElvisP Sorry, I was looking for another photo. Nice card, congrats.