Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

News on DL Hansen

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

As if he needed more money to buy coins, DL Hansen is being forced to sell his soccer teams. Link below.

Back in the 1980’s, the magazine M published an article about 10 civilized men (Prince Charles, Peter Jennings, Lawrence Olivier, etc) and ten uncivilized men (namely Sylvester Stallone). About Stallone, it wrote that he was proof that money can’t buy everything. It can’t buy class.

I don’t know Mr. Hansen. That may apply here.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/08/31/dell-loy-hansen-mls-racism-progressive-league-real-salt-lake

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2020 6:43AM

I saw something on that a few days ago on ESPN (I'm pretty sure) and figured it wouldn't end well between him and the teams. He's probably just being forced to take a profit (financially).
    Also, "downfall" might be a bit extreme of a word for a billionaire who's about to make more money.

• Options

@kranky said:
    Not a fan of bringing people's private lives into the forum.

This is not exactly “private”. It is a Sports Illustrated headline.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now he can buy more coins.
    Sounds like a win to me. :)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last thread on this topic got deleted. FYI.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please close this thread.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess you didn't see the other thread about this go POOF!> @Yorkshireman said:

As if he needed more money to buy coins, DL Hansen is being forced to sell his soccer teams. Link below.

Back in the 1980’s, the magazine M published an article about 10 civilized men (Prince Charles, Peter Jennings, Lawrence Olivier, etc) and ten uncivilized men (namely Sylvester Stallone). About Stallone, it wrote that he was proof that money can’t buy everything. It can’t buy class.

I don’t know Mr. Hansen. That may apply here.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/08/31/dell-loy-hansen-mls-racism-progressive-league-real-salt-lake

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2020 8:47AM

O.k., I admit it. I was wrong. I guess I like the guy afterall.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2020 9:02AM

@yosclimber said:
    He just said he felt disrespected when his players went on strike.
    It was called a racist comment in some articles.
    That is not a racist comment in my view. It is about labor relations.

That comment itself was not racist IMO either. Tone deaf perhaps. It was other previous comments he made to staff and etc that forced the sell.

Anyways this thread should be closed. Nothing good can come of this at all

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2020 10:15AM

Sports Illustrated has about as much objectivity as the New York Times or watching ESPN.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2020 9:23AM

There was plenty more to Hansen’s statement, but let’s focus on the adjectives describing his ideal successor: “new” and “refreshed.” He’s been wrong about a ton, but he’s on to something there. New and refreshed, instead of outdated and dusty. New and refreshed, rather than archaic and regressive

it is peculiar to me that whenever a theft at a Coin Show/Coin Shop/Residence is reported here that almost universally the cry is for the most drastic of punishment for the perpetrator(s). when something such as this is reported, the initial reaction is to hush-up about it. if this were to take place on the Bourse, what would be the reaction?? what comes to my mind is Moral Equivalence.

• Options

@keets said:
    There was plenty more to Hansen’s statement, but let’s focus on the adjectives describing his ideal successor: “new” and “refreshed.” He’s been wrong about a ton, but he’s on to something there. New and refreshed, instead of outdated and dusty. New and refreshed, rather than archaic and regressive

it is peculiar to me that whenever a theft at a Coin Show/Coin Shop/Residence is reported here that almost universally the cry is for the most drastic of punishment for the perpetrator(s). when something such as this is reported, the initial reaction is to hush-up about it. if this were to take place on the Bourse, what would be the reaction?? what comes to my mind is Moral Equivalence.

I agree with Mark, but I will presume that the thread won't just be closed, it will be deleted, a sad commentary on the reaction to the pre-eminent collector/collections of our time.

I would wish this had been posted at that long running "Hansen" thread, maybe that could be deleted.

That last comment is a Neat idea!
    Thank you, Keets, for expressing something objective.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@btcollects said:
    I wonder if a day of reckoning is coming to our hobby

What does that mean?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally can’t imagine using that word and wouldn’t hang with anyone who does?

Bruce, that's my reasoning as well and why I wonder that, armed with this knowledge, if he is the Goodwill Ambassador that he's been and that our Hobby needs?

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:

@kranky said:
    Not a fan of bringing people's private lives into the forum.

This is not exactly “private”. It is a Sports Illustrated headline.

AND THAT IS A VERY GOOD PLACE FOR IT. This thread is scrapping the bottom.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@keets said:
    I personally can’t imagine using that word and wouldn’t hang with anyone who does?

Bruce, that's my reasoning as well and why I wonder that, armed with this knowledge, if he is the Goodwill Ambassador that he's been and that our Hobby needs?

Another Deep thought there, Keets
    Thank you.

Bruce,
    You have written multiple times that just because someone has a lot of money, it doesn’t mean they can necessarily build a great collection.
    DLH has built what I consider a great collection but he has typically bought many great collections that were already built.

• Options

Back to my original point, he will have lots more money to buy sets of coins now he is out of the sports business.
    (Not that he needed it.)

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://sports.yahoo.com/mls-condemns-rsl-owner-dell-loy-hansen-after-allegations-of-persistent-racism-donald-sterling-part-2-022340219.html

Twitter is all lit up with outrage over him.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/real-salt-lake/story/4168571/real-salt-lake-owner-dell-loy-hansen-takes-leave-amid-probe-into-racist-remarks

I wonder if DLRC will maintain their relationship with him. I would not want to have any close relationship with someone like this, let alone a business relationship. I wonder if people will boycott DLRC. Maybe John Brush will chime in? @JBatDavidLawrence

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

What was the horrible thing he said? I can't find it.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    I personally can’t imagine using that word and wouldn’t hang with anyone who does.

@Currin and @JBatDavidLawrence seem to have strong alliances with him. I wonder if that will change.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    I personally can’t imagine using that word and wouldn’t hang with anyone who does.

I have lost "friends and acquaintances" over them using that word. I had to ask someone to leave my house over the use of it not that long ago. It was shocking to hear.

m

If we all took a stand like that, the world might change for the better.

• Options

@keyman64 said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@Currin and @JBatDavidLawrence seem to have strong alliances with him. I wonder if that will change.

Eeh Gads! It's a cabal!

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@Justacommeman said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I have lost "friends and acquaintances" over them using that word. I had to ask someone to leave my house over the use of it not that long ago. It was shocking to hear.

m

If we all took a stand like that, the world might change for the better.

Yes, it might. But> @Yorkshireman said:

Back to my original point, he will have lots more money to buy sets of coins now he is out of the sports business.
    (Not that he needed it.)

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2020 9:56AM

DLH is an influential public figure, and what he says and does can have a big impact. As an owner of a sports team, he is accountable to the feelings and opinions of his employees and fans. I completely understand why folks are reacting the way they are.

It won't invalidate him as a collector. There are more dubious characters in numismatic history. I hope he takes this whole thing as a learning opportunity so that he can continue to grow as a person.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    edited September 1, 2020 10:09AM

@neildrobertson said:
    DLH is an influential public figure, and what he says and does can have a big impact. As an owner of a sports team, he is accountable to the feelings and opinions of his employees and fans. I completely understand why folks are reacting the way they are.

It won't invalidate him as a collector. There are more dubious characters in numismatic history. I hope he takes this whole thing as a learning opportunity so that he can continue to grow as a person.

Well put.
    Is Mr. Hansen a numismatist as is our own Tradedollarnut or someone with a lot of money who can pretty much buy whatever he wants? I really would like to know.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2020 10:16AM

@Hydrant said:
    What was the horrible thing he said? I can't find it.

From ESPN:

“The story quoted former employees and others who said Hansen had made a number of racially insensitive comments and used a racial slur, both leagues said they would conduct investigations.“

If true this is VERY VERY bad.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

We don't have to like or respect each other's implicit biases to benefit and learn from each other when it comes to coins.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally agree

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

anyone gonna post a coin today?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Totally agree

He fell on the sword. It's a step in the right direction.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
This discussion has been closed.